Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dumb customers selling their games back to stores ...

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Dumb customers selling their games back to stores ...

Why are kids so stupid these days??

I walked to my local "gaming store" today (a typical mom & pop operation) and there was a kid selling a complete (with 2 controllers) Nintendo Game Cube to the guy behind the counter (whom I know is the owner).

The owner tested out the system, 2 controllers, memory card, and gave the guy 25$ CDN!!!! That's about 18$US !!!!!!

How stupid are these kids!?!

Another time I was walking around the local flea market when I saw a guy and his 2 kids trying to sell 2 NES systems with 40 games.. the guy was offering him 50 cents per cart and 5$ per system (CDN$ again!)

When the guy was walking to the car to get the rest of the games, I stopped him and told him that I'll double what ever the guy was offering..

That's how I got a couple of Mega Man and my DW3 & 4!

This actually happened a few times before!!!!

Anyone else?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kids only want the new stuff. They're more concerned with impressing their friends than good gameplay. Then, they grow up to be adults like me who want to find everything they sold. Trust me, they'll regret it in a few years.

I have to admit that I'm a parasite, too. If a Gamestop or EB won't take something that a person tries to trade in, I'll always make them an offer provided I have the cash.

Once, a kid wanted to trade in SNES Mario Kart and TMNT IV at Gamestop, and for some reason the manager wouldn't take them. I reached into my wallet and pulled out $3 which is all I had on me and offered it to the kid. Funny, his dad snatched the 3 bills and said, "We'll take it!"
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was behind a kid yesterday trading in his gamecube games at gamestop. kid traded 4 game cube for $7 in trade, he couldnt even find anything to get for that much money so he still ended up shelling out a bunch of cash in order to get something to take home.Nuts!
    "How do you like my darkness now"

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I never, NEVER, sell or trade anything into a EB or a GameStop. They give you crap in return for it, and I can always sell said item on Amazon or EBay for very close to what I paid for it.

Example: Bought Disgaea new at a EB for $50. Did'nt like it that much. Sold it on Amazon for $45.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    I never, NEVER, sell or trade anything into a EB or a GameStop. They give you crap in return for it, and I can always sell said item on Amazon or EBay for very close to what I paid for it.

Example: Bought Disgaea new at a EB for $50. Did'nt like it that much. Sold it on Amazon for $45.
    I agree, I live 3 hours from the closest EB and Gamestop, and I stop at there shops in the mall whenever im there, (but I rarely buy anything). I just cant believe how they are ripping gamers in that town off. Their buy back and trade-ins are worthless, and their used game prices are only like $5 less than the price of new. Also new game that have been around for a few months they still for $50 when wal-mart and hastings in my town are selling them for $30. i dont know EB is cool, but I think that I will stick with wal-mart and ebay.
    Wolverine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aaron_157
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer

I agree, I live 3 hours from the closest EB and Gamestop, and I stop at there shops in the mall whenever im there, (but I rarely buy anything). I just cant believe how they are ripping gamers in that town off. Their buy back and trade-ins are worthless, and their used game prices are only like $5 less than the price of new. Also new game that have been around for a few months they still for $50 when wal-mart and hastings in my town are selling them for $30. i dont know EB is cool, but I think that I will stick with wal-mart and ebay.
    If I lived 3 hours from an EB I'd go to Walmart too.

I have 4 malls within 20 minutes of where I live. And EB just opened 3 more stores in the same area in Strip Malls. Thats 6 EB's and 2 Gamestops in one county.

I never get rid of Anything, unless I have multiple copies. If I am behind someone getting ripped off by a game store on trade-ins I don't hesitate to offer them more. I have only had one EB clerk say something to me. Better yet, most of the EB clerks know me and will purchase Atari and NES games and hold them for me. It's amazing how people take their old games to a store and will take nothing for them.
    neotokeo2001

http://neoclassicgames.blogspot.com/
    Atari 2600 Limited Editions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I was standing in a local computer store one time when a woman walked in with a paper grocery bag filled to the rim with an Atari 2600 and a ton of games. I picked up something and got in line behind the lady. When she got to the counter she asked the guy what he would give her for the entire sack. He glanced in it and said $10. I said I'd give her $20.

The guy IMMEDIATELY went baliistic on me. He started screaming about how this was soliciting on private property or something and how I had 30 seconds to get off his property before he called the police. I turned to the lady and told her I'd be in the parking lot with my $20. I guess the guy upped his offer because she walked out without the sack of goodies. Oh well, and least she didn't get totally ripped off.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    I was standing in a local computer store one time when a woman walked in with a paper grocery bag filled to the rim with an Atari 2600 and a ton of games. I picked up something and got in line behind the lady. When she got to the counter she asked the guy what he would give her for the entire sack. He glanced in it and said $10. I said I'd give her $20.

The guy IMMEDIATELY went baliistic on me. He started screaming about how this was soliciting on private property or something and how I had 30 seconds to get off his property before he called the police. I turned to the lady and told her I'd be in the parking lot with my $20. I guess the guy upped his offer because she walked out without the sack of goodies. Oh well, and least she didn't get totally ripped off.
    I'd tell him I had something he could solicit. I don't think his argument really holds up anyway.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think there are local laws about soliciting on other peoples property.
    But they all just end up with the soliciter having to leave the property.

But in this case , I would have also said "Solicit this"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

I have to admit that I'm a parasite, too. If a Gamestop or EB won't take something that a person tries to trade in, I'll always make them an offer provided I have the cash.
    Yeah Im the same way. Thats how I got my Sega CD package. I was in EB when this guy wanted to trade in a sega CD with Genny2, 8 mint CD games, and 4 Genny games. The clerk said they didnt take that kinda stuff, so I asked the guy how much would money he wanted for it, He said give me 10 bucks. So I hopped on that of course. Find out, One of the games was Snatcher. Good to be at the right place at the right time

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

worst case scenario.....you get kicked out of the store. o darn

i was selling games to mcvans in ft. wayne and the kid asked if he could buy one of my copies of metroid, i had like 3. all silver and the guys were just dickin around not even dealing with me just spending time with other customers. and the guy goes, you can't talk about that in here blah blah blah, n i'm sittin here thinkin shove it up ur ___ but anyways......i shoulda just walked out but they have a decent trade program for NES games. you give them a game they sell for $14....and for $2 + tax you get any of the other games they sell for $14. and you can get some better stuff. but they sell super dodgeball for like $30. Nuts..

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Kids only want the new stuff. They're more concerned with impressing their friends than good gameplay
    Ding ding ding!!!! We have ourselves a winner!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The other day I saw some little kid about 8 or 9 trade 2 NES with about about 15 games, a super nintendo with about 20 (a few complete) games, gamegear with about 30 games and his X Box with halo, mech assault, and internet headset for a PS2 (with two controllers) and 2 games.

Holy Crap. You might as well kick yourself in the balls and burn the systems!!!
    What i need: SNES games and a few 32x!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know at the mom and pop store I worked at if someone offered them more for something we would just ask them to conduct their business outside. Everybody was happy then they would come back in with some cash and buy something.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that's the best approach, because then you don't piss people off. if they want to do their business then let it be. it's not like those kinds of places are starving for more trade in junk. i'm sure most places could deal with a little less trade in stuff really. especially the corporate places.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought about putting up a flyer near a GameStop. Strategically placed saying that I give more money than GameStop for old games.

But it surely would be illegal. To legally have a flier like that, I would have to place it very far away from the store, and it wouldn't work very well.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I would hope the Gamestops around you don't freak out if they won't take the stuff in. I know I don't. We dont take in anything pre-NES, no master system, no turbo grafx... just NES, SNES, Genesis, and N64 for your pre-current systems. If anyone wants to give a cash offer for stuff our system doesn't allow trade ins for, we let them. It's not like their ruining out buisness, we aren't taking it.

In fact, with someone else on shift, I've bought stuff we can't take in often. Again, we aren't going to do anythign with it. It's how I got my turbo grafx 16!

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a very touchy subject..

how do you get the sellers attention and away from the buyer to let them know that you're willing to offer more without pissing people off Ior getting banned from one of your local go to stores!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

That's really odd; I'd always assumed that kids (i.e. teenagers) were very savvy about such things- unless desperate for some cash?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was dumb and as I upgraded to the next big machine I always sold my old system doh! I have started collecting the systems again my collection now includes:

Genesis 3
    Super NES
    Sega Saturn
    PSOne w/LCD
    Sega Nomad
    Sega Dreamcast
    Atari Jaguar
    Gameboy Color
    Gameboy Advance
    Goldstar 3DO
    Nintendo64
    PS2
    GameCube
    X-Box

I am still planning on getting:

Top Load NES
    MasterSystem II
    Atari 7800
    TurboDuo
    NeoGeo AES
    NeoGeo Pocket Color

I want to make my own museum ha ha.
    GameGuru
    Visit Nostalgia Gaming if you like classic gaming!