Thread: What defines a "complete" SNES game?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What defines a "complete" SNES game?

This could also apply to Atari Jaguar and 32X games as well, and I guess any games that came in a cardboard box.

Now, when I think of SNES games when I actually bought them originally, they came with:

1. The actual outside box

2. The inside box that slides inside the outside box.

3. A small plastic bag with the SNES cart inside.

4. A plastic bag with the instruction manual and other advertisements in it.

5. The actual SNES cart

6. The little plastic dust cover on the actual cart

Actually, you could say there are really 9 items in most truly complete SNES boxes.

1. The outside box

2. The inside box

3. The plastic bag for the cart

4. The plastic bag for the manual and other inserts

5. The game manual

6. The little Nintendo brocuere thing

7. The little advertisement for Nintendo Power, or for the company that makes the game or whatever. There was always something else in there. Maybe a map for the game, or a special fold out poster for plays in a John Madden game or something like that. Or fighting moves in a fighting game.

8. The actual game cartridge

9. The plastic dust cover for the cartridge.

So when people sell these items as supposedly complete, do they really have all 9 or more items?

Yes, some games don't have dust covers, and some games don't have Ads or Maps or Posters in them. But still, they all had at the very least 7 items.

1. Outer box
    2. Inner box
    3. Plastic bag for cart
    4. Plastic sleve for insturctions and other crap
    5. Instruction manual
    6. Nintendo paper thing
    7. Actual cartridge

Every single brand new SNES game should at the very least have these 8 items, but I would expect that many would also have a little advertisement in it, or a map, or a poster, or a ad for the publishers upcoming games, or a Plastic dust cover for the cart.

So the total number of items could be like 11!

You know what sucks? Back in the day, when I bought Super Nintendo games, I would get the game home, and the first thing I would do is get a special knife, and slice the SNES box very carefully, where the game would look totally brand new, except that one little area was sliced, just so I could open the box and remove the cart and the dust cover. I would remove the cart and dust cover, if one was in there, but I would replace everthing else back into the box, and I would store that box away in a closet, and never touch it again, until it came time to sell the game.

Had I saved all those games, instead of selling them. I would have some seriously mint condition games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yeah this is a huuuuge problem for my snes (pal) collection, i usually say complete to games that have both boxes, the manual and the cartridge, though i do mention all the items in my auctions...

but are you sure there were plastic bags for the manuals in snes-games? i must admit i don't have a single snes game that has a plastic bag for the manual

and i'm pretty sure i've opened some sealed ones
    -Jan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: What defines a "complete" SNES game?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    So when people sell these items as supposedly complete, do they really have all 9 or more items?
    For me, if it's got a box, cart and manual (+ map where applicable), then I class it as complete. I'm not fussed about bags, leaflets etc as they're usually not specific to that title and could be obtained from another game if need be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think worrying about the plastic bags is taking these things a little too far...

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It really omces down to how obsessive you are about the term "complete".

To be honest I see 4 versions of complete..

If you're just in for the games then by all means just the game-essential items like box, cart and manual would likely serve as complete as they're the base elements of the game.

Taking it a little further, complete could be better regarded as being everything product specific to that game, meaning all items included in the original game package which relate to the game in some manner, thus on top of box cart and manual you also have the game maps/posters/guides and any other items that were unique to that package that were originally included in the game package.

Above that you have the mildy obsessive version of complete which on top of the above items would also include non-game specific material such as the generic warranty cards, generic advertisement leaflets,consumer information leaflets, baggies etc.

And finally you have the obsessive completionist who either demands that games be in their original sealed state or include everything mentioned above plus manufacture/purchase specific material such as store tags, and possibly reciepts.

All of them could be considered acceptible, but which one is right for you depends on your own personal definition of "complete".

(btw SNES games for the most part didn't come with baggies for the manual and leaflets, at least back when I originally owned the system I only had one game which came with it's docs in their own bag).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say box, cart, manual, and any maps or posters specific to the game. If it's a rare game, warranty card (if it had one). Hell, not all SNES games came with the hard plastic sleeve either. And some came with different white cardboard inserts (which I consider PART of the box). There IS a limit.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Doesn't "complete" imply "everything it came with originally"? That would be an easy way to state it, right?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know some games came with a dust cover some didn't so that might be a factor to consider.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

Cart, Book, Box, + maps if included.

Did all games come with a little plastic baggie?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dave2236
    Did all games come with a little plastic baggie?
    As far as I know, yes.

At least back when I was buying them new the carts were always in a bag when I opened the box up. I could be wrong though, after all I didn't check every release (hell, I'm still trying to check em all ).

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To me a complete SNES game is the outer box, inner tray, cart, manual, and maps if applical

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I consider a SNES game complete if it just has the essentials: Cart, box, manual, and maps if any. I dont take it as far as to say i need the plastic sleeve, and inner box. I do like to have dust covers though.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A complete snes game is just box cart and manual (maps.) The dust covers can be picked up elsewhere!
    What i need: SNES games and a few 32x!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by Balloon Fight
    I consider a SNES game complete if it just has the essentials: Cart, box, manual, and maps if any. I dont take it as far as to say i need the plastic sleeve, and inner box. I do like to have dust covers though.
    I agree as well. I count the inner box, baggie, and dust cover (if applicable) as the black dust sleeve and styrofoam block that the NES games have. Nice to have, and makes it more minty and 'complete', but you can live without it, as it's not unique to the game's packaging.

dave

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    I agree as well. I count the inner box, baggie, and dust cover (if applicable) as the black dust sleeve and styrofoam block that the NES games have. Nice to have, and makes it more minty and 'complete', but you can live without it, as it's not unique to the game's packaging.
    dave
    And perhaps that's the best definition of complete there is; that a "complete" game is one that comes with everything unique to its original packaging.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually don't care at all about complete games. If I get one, fine, but I'm more interested in getting the cheapest possible game. I don't mind loose carts, even ones with rental stickers and pen markings on them.

But I just wondered what other people considered "complete".

The only use I have for complete games, is that they are more valuable when I trade or sell them.

But, if I was collecting complete games, there is no way that I would consider a SNES game compllete if it didn't have the inner tray that the cartridge sits in.

O.K., the little baggies for the Manual and cart might be going overboard, but if it doesn't have the inner tray, then you would just have a cartridge floppying around inside that box, banging all over the place. Plus the inner tray helps the box stand up and keep it's shape. Without the inner box, then box can quickly become damaged.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Box, manual, cart, map if applicable.

Everything else can just be swapped from another game, so I don't really count it as being too unique or part of the complete game.

In this vein, a genesis cart is complete for me when I have the cart, manual, and paper insert for the box, since the boxes are so swappable.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Interesting.

With Neo Geo games, the knowledge (or even the thought) that many came with a miniposter which I do not have (in any of my Samurai Spirits games, besides 1 for which I have the poster) pisses me off to no end.

Actually, I cannot stand games that come with messed up boxes (for SNES/SFC/etc it's obvious, but for Mega Drive/Master System it's boxes that have been rubbing up against stuff). Gosh I hate that. Even if the contents are perfect, it's annoying to have a messed up case.