Thread: Suggestions for next project, please: Project Genesis.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Suggestions for next project, please: Project Genesis.

Well since I'm almost done with the SNES set now, it's time for me to really challenge myself. I am starting to go through all of my genesis games to get my collection together.

Here is where the problem lies, when I organized my NES and SNES games, I had about 3000 of each to go through. It took a long time (which dave2236 can attest to, thanks for the help again Dave) but was manageable considering I have a pretty big basement. I started by grouping all of the titles alphabetically by grouping games that start with A, then B and so on. Attacking the genesis is totally different though. I have nearly 10000 (at least) games to go through here, most are boxed, which takes up some major space.

I am thinking about alphabatizing the titles right away from the start, not just grouping them together. I figure this would save me time when I get done getting them in order, then I could just pick right in a row each game I need. The problem with this is the amount of space this will take up, I mean this is a ton of stuff to go through. Is this the best way to go? I am looking for suggestions. Is there a better way to do this?? Thanks for your responses in advance.

Danny

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Danny,

I got a stupid question for you..

how do you have 10,000 genesis games??? I was under the impression there were only ~700 made! Do you have multiple copies of the same game?? If so, why not just sell them?

Same goes with the SNES & NES numbers..

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leonk
    Hey Danny,

I got a stupid question for you..

how do you have 10,000 genesis games??? I was under the impression there were only ~700 made! Do you have multiple copies of the same game?? If so, why not just sell them?

Same goes with the SNES & NES numbers..
    I just sold off my NES and SNES dups, and yeah I have major amounts of duplicates of games, you are right there are only 700+ different games, but I need to see what I exactly have before I organize the collection. Since I have so many to choose from, I can take the best condition cart, box, manual and yeah I do plan on selling what I have left over, but I need to know what I have first. I'll post some pics here as I progress through this.

Danny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

how did you manage to get 3000 nes 3000 snes and 10000 genny games???????? that is incredible
    -Jan

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd still group them. I like the divide and conquer method.... but either way that'd be one hell of a good time..

I'd group them by letter and just do a pile or two a day when I had time.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could do some general grouping first, like three boxes, a-h, i-q, r-z, and then further subdivide them. That way, you're still working with about 3000 games at a time like the SNES collection. It'll probably go faster too once you've got the three sections complete, and the first major sort will still take a lot of space, but even that you can break up into thirds.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought about doing a general grouping thing like last time, but I'd rather seperate them by titles right away, that way I'm not going over the same work twice. I have the table space and room to do it, I think I want to do it this way to see the piles of really good titles that I have. (I think I have about 30 Castlevania bloodlines and quite a few Aerobiz supersonic as well). Thanks for ideas so far everyone, keep them coming.

Danny

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Man, this is hard to think of ways to help... I guess you can...

Group everything of letter A in one pile.

Go through doubles of a game and get the best case, manual, and cart.

Put all the extras in a huge box (To later sell for shelving or something, where the hell are you going to put all these games?)

Alphabetize A

Put in a stack, row, whatever

Repeat.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You could save yourself a lot of time and ship them all to me.

Sorry had to say it.

Look through a box at a time and just go pull out all the A's get the ones out you want. The move on and repeat.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tynstar
    You could save yourself a lot of time and ship them all to me.

Sorry had to say it.

Look through a box at a time and just go pull out all the A's get the ones out you want. The move on and repeat.
    Yeah, I'm sure I'd have a few offers on that. Actually, the problem I'm having is, I need more tables to seperate the titles. I've gone through about 800 games so far but I already have well over 300 different titles so I need to find more table to organize all this stuff. Time to raid the in-laws house and steal their tables.

Danny

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it was me , I would get say about five medium size empty boxes. Then I would assign them a letter for each box. then I would throw the games starting with that letter in the appropriate box. Then i would throw the rest way out of the way and tackle one letter at a time. Once you got done with those letters then I would use those boxes for the next five letters. This way you can update your database easier and go through smaller chunks of the whole and not have to spread the whole mess everywhere. Before you know it you will have worked your way to the end of the alphabet.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I found a pretty quick way to do this. What I am attempting right now is a 2 tier method of sorting. First I am using one room as a general sorting area, grouping all of the titles by letter and sorting them into seperate boxes, when the boxes are full I sort them again in my rec room in my basement. The rec room has every title alphabetically sorted right in a row on the floor. It actually goes pretty fast this way. I did about a half a pallet of games in about 6 hours today. Now I only have to sort 2 and 1/2 more. But I'm not going to rush, otherwise I'll crash and burn out on this project. Thanks again for all the tips!

Danny

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a little update. I am done sorting all of my boxed genesis title (minus about 8 cases of all sports titles that I am waiting until the end to do). I also finished sorting all of my cart only games as well. I plan on sorting the empty boxes and manuals this week. I have had a little more time to do this than usual, but it ended up going really fast. I sorted about 2 pallets full of games this week alone. Hopefully after the holidays, I'll start getting together my collection, then selling off the duplicates.

I guess this won't be an all winter project for me! Thank God!

Danny

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a little update. I am done sorting all of my boxed genesis title (minus about 8 cases of all sports titles that I am waiting until the end to do). I also finished sorting all of my cart only games as well. I plan on sorting the empty boxes and manuals this week. I have had a little more time to do this than usual, but it ended up going really fast. I sorted about 2 pallets full of games this week alone. Hopefully after the holidays, I'll start getting together my collection, then selling off the duplicates.

I guess this won't be an all winter project for me! Thank God!

Danny