Thread: Time Pilot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Default Time Pilot

I almost forgot how great this game is. For those who don't know, it was released by Konami in the arcades in 1982. It's a multi-dimensional shmup where the object is fairly simple; just destroy all of the enemy planes. If you manage to destroy enough enemies, then the boss ship comes out, and if you destroy that, then you move on to the next stage. There are five different stages in all, but there is no ending. After destroying the boss of the last stage, you just start over from the first stage, although the difficulty becomes significantly harder.

Stage 1: 1910, against what I think are German Bombers, who shoot and launch bombs.

Stage 2: 1940, and I think you're going up against Japanese Fighters. Watch out for the large planes.

Stage 3: 1970, you have to take down Vietnamese Helicopters. They fire homing missles. Dang.

Stage 4: 1982, the year the game was released. I guess those are Russian Jets that you're trying to down. They're quick and they also have homing missles.

Stage 5: 2001, and you're in space trying to take down UFOs. They're definitely the hardest enemies.

I love this game. I just thought I'd pay respect to TP on here because I played an excellent game about ten minutes ago. I got all the way up to stage 10, and my score was 359,000. Not bad, huh?
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

I just wish that the ColecoVision version was better. It isn't bad enough to be a bad game, but it was a letdown.

German Bi-planes (with hand grenades)/ Zeppelin.

WW2 fighters, Lesser Bombers/ Bomber.

Helicopters (with heat-seeking missiles)/ Double-Prop Helicopter.

Jets (with better homing missiles)/ Command Jet.

Flying Saucers (with those fireballs)/ Mother Ship.

Naturally, that last screen was excluded...and who came up with yellow, purple, and grey skies?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Time Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga
    Stage 1: 1910, against what I think are German Bombers, who shoot and launch bombs.

Stage 2: 1940, and I think you're going up against Japanese Fighters. Watch out for the large planes.

Stage 3: 1970, you have to take down Vietnamese Helicopters. They fire homing missles. Dang.

Stage 4: 1982, the year the game was released. I guess those are Russian Jets that you're trying to down. They're quick and they also have homing missles.

Stage 5: 2001, and you're in space trying to take down UFOs. They're definitely the hardest enemies.
    And don't forget if you play the GBA version and enter in the Konami code.. you get:

Stage 6: <something B.C> you're in the dinasour age fighting pterodactyls

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got 999,000 on the GBA version of Time Pilot (max score possible). Boy was I pissed when the score wouldn't flip over 1 million. Also, you lose the ability to gain extra lives at that point. Trying to count in my head, I was around 1.2 million points when I lost my last guy.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Time Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga
    I almost forgot how great this game is. For those who don't know, it was released by Konami in the arcades in 1982. It's a multi-dimensional shmup where the object is fairly simple; just destroy all of the enemy planes. If you manage to destroy enough enemies, then the boss ship comes out, and if you destroy that, then you move on to the next stage. There are five different stages in all, but there is no ending. After destroying the boss of the last stage, you just start over from the first stage, although the difficulty becomes significantly harder.

I love this game. I just thought I'd pay respect to TP on here because I played an excellent game about ten minutes ago. I got all the way up to stage 10, and my score was 359,000. Not bad, huh?
    In some of your posts you mentioned that you are pretty young. I think it's damned cool you can appreciate an old school game.
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Time Pilot is one of my all time favorite games. When I went to college at Plymouth State, this machine would always get some loving from me at the Funspot there.

I also love Gyruss -- gee, they were desgined by the same guy. That probaly explains a lot.

None of the home versions did it justicle till the PS1 version. I could FINALLY use the analog sticks for that one, and play the game the way that God intended!

The version I play all the time now, though, is the GBA version, either on my SP or on my Game Boy Player. Why?

RAPID FIRE!

No more destroying my thumb after just one game! Just hold that button down and shoot till your heart's content!
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to love Time Pilot.

Time Pilot '84 wasn't that bad either.

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Time Pilot is my favorite arcade game of all time. There's just something about it that makes it almost ageless...