Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Midwest Gaming Classic Dates Announced!

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

hmmmm... Milwalkee, I may be able to get up there...I may have to make an appearence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll be there, and most of you guys don't even know who I am!

Pretzel (Level 4) Goodwill Hunter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-20
    I'll be there, and most of you guys don't even know who I am!
    If I can steal a quote from Highlander..."I know his name!" Hard to forget the guy that made an empty Genesis box one of the toughest trades I've ever made....perhaps the power of cheese will finally convince you take one of my Vic20 carts .

See you and your tradebox there!

Rich
    Tomorrow's Past is Yesterday's Future Today!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Silly question:
    THis is my first time at an official gaming convention. Do people (guests not table holders) just bring in trade boxes? Is there actually room for that and is it welcome?

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Sigh, this is embarrassing...Can somebody give me directions to there from the Illinois/Wisconsin border? The directions at MapQuest make me go "HUH?!"

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-20
    Silly question:
    THis is my first time at an official gaming convention. Do people (guests not table holders) just bring in trade boxes? Is there actually room for that and is it welcome?
    Yes, there is supposed to be a designated trading area this year. Trading wasn't even mentioned for last year's show, and plenty of people still brought stuff, so I'm hoping this year will be even better.

Rich

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of the Felines
    Sigh, this is embarrassing...Can somebody give me directions to there from the Illinois/Wisconsin border? The directions at MapQuest make me go "HUH?!"

Kristine
    Sure...take 94 north towards Madison, you can either follow 94 all the way, or you can take the 894 bypass if traffic is heavy and you want to avoid going through downtown Milwaukee's notorious Marquette interchange.

Either way will eventually get you on 94 headed due west. About 10 miles east of downtown, or shortly after you rejoin 94 westbound from the 894 bypass, you will start to climb a huge hill (seems like it's at least a mile long) by the time you get to the top, you will want to be in the far right lane. The first exit after the hill will be Mooreland Rd. North, take it. There is a yield sign at the end of the off ramp, but usually you can merge with traffic without slowing down.

Once you're headed north on Mooreland, you'll immediately go through a stoplight that is always green going northbound and you'll quickly want to get into the far left lane. This lane quickly empties into a 2-lane left turn lane for Brookfield Mall, you'll want to again get into the far left lane (FYI: at this point you will have already passed the Hotel on your left).

Turn left into the mall parking lot, and take the first left you can down an access road through the middle of the parking lots. A TRU will be to your right, and the hotel will be to your left. Park, disembark, and play NARC (or the game of your choice ).

See you there!
    Rich

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is going to be great! If anyone got today's copy of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, take a look on the inside front page at the interview they did with Billy Mitchell about the show!

And then meet Billy Mitchell when you arrive, of course
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the show is going to rock. there is no doubt in my mind, i'm shooting over to the atari age booth and getting THIS PLANET SUCKS!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I completely forgot about the MGC convention; this morning I remembered the event and stopped by in the afternoon.

It was interesting, it was my first time at a gaming convention; I was surprised that DP had a table in the vendor area, and I can now put a face to the "Darth Vader" handle.

Overall, I hoped for a bit more. A couple of rooms, pretty crowded, interesting game systems which I saw so far only on pics, I played a bit, and the offerings of games didn't appeal to me. I guess I'm just too finnecky when it comes to the condition of game boxes.

The arcade machine and Pinball area (I'm not into Pinball machines at all) were actually more impressive than the rooms with consoles.

The most distinctive memory will be the energy drink "Bawlz" (sp?) which advertisement seemed to follow me around, the first issue of Manci Games which came with the ticket, and our inability to define 'classic gaming' as demonstrated in the official brochure of the exhibition.

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Honestly, I was a bit disappointed. Granted, maybe I've been spoiled by CGE, but my thoughts were the same as lendelin's. The arcade area was about the size of my living room and just seemed a bit too small and crowded for my tastes (which is ok, your tastes may vary ). I was pretty much done with everything in about an hour and thought "I drove three hours for this?" But again, CGE probably spoiled me and I probably missed something obvious.

The girl at the "Bawlz" booth was pretty cute though. Stuff just about gave me a heart attack though.

Best moment: Walking past the arcade, a kid was playing the second level of Donkey Kong. His dad says "Well maybe the umbrella floats you back down to the ground or something." I actually had to do a double-take.

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of the Felines
    Honestly, I was a bit disappointed. Granted, maybe I've been spoiled by CGE, but my thoughts were the same as lendelin's. The arcade area was about the size of my living room and just seemed a bit too small and crowded for my tastes (which is ok, your tastes may vary ). I was pretty much done with everything in about an hour and thought "I drove three hours for this?" But again, CGE probably spoiled me and I probably missed something obvious.

The girl at the "Bawlz" booth was pretty cute though. Stuff just about gave me a heart attack though.

Best moment: Walking past the arcade, a kid was playing the second level of Donkey Kong. His dad says "Well maybe the umbrella floats you back down to the ground or something." I actually had to do a double-take.

Kristine
    I agree completely. The girl at the 'bawlz" table was cute, and I was done in an hour as well. (with the exhibition, not with the girl) However, my drive was only about 15 minutes. You drove THREE hours?? Poor girl!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hated it. Well, not hate...I'm being dramatic... I was just a little "blah" about it.

Drove an hour and a half and made the mistake of dragging a reluctant girlfriend with me. We broke out early to check out Milwaukee. It's a fuggin ghost town. Saturday night just after working hours and everyone's at home watching TGIF or something. The girlfriend dumped me immediately after I safely returned her home to Chicago calling me a "nerd". You people ruined my life! (just kidding)

But it was just a little disappointing in size. I spent most of my 2 hours there playing Virtual Boy and studying Billy Mitchell's hair.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin
    It was interesting, it was my first time at a gaming convention; I was surprised that DP had a table in the vendor area, and I can now put a face to the "Darth Vader" handle.
    Huh? We DIDN'T have a table there! Was "Darth Vader" representin'? Very cool. He's been a book distributor for us, I presume that's what he was peddling

Overall, I hoped for a bit more. A couple of rooms, pretty crowded, interesting game systems which I saw so far only on pics, I played a bit, and the offerings of games didn't appeal to me. I guess I'm just too finnecky when it comes to the condition of game boxes.
    Sorry to hear you were disappointed. These events do take quite a bit of planning, preparation, and SWEAT, as I've learned over the years. I give anyone crazy enough to host one of these events a lot of credit. There's no money in it - it's all about the satisfaction you get from your attendees.

There's always next year!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress
    Quote Originally Posted by lendelin
    Huh? We DIDN'T have a table there! Was "Darth Vader" representin'? Very cool. He's been a book distributor for us, I presume that's what he was peddling
    Yep, he was there wearing the DP shirt and had a couple of the DP collector's guide stacked in addition to lots of games for sale. Recognizing the DP logo, I asked him about DP and he said he's doing it for Joe.

Sorry to hear you were disappointed. These events do take quite a bit of planning, preparation, and SWEAT, as I've learned over the years. I give anyone crazy enough to host one of these events a lot of credit. There's no money in it - it's all about the satisfaction you get from your attendees.

There's always next year!
    I give credits to the organizers as well. From some organization work for symposia and conferences I know there is lots of work and headaches involved, and organizing a gaming convention is certainly idealistic work.

I think the dissapointing impression has lots to do with the arrangements of the rooms, size of the rooms, and the arrangement of the individual items. Presentation is a lot for these types of events. I had an ok time, but wasn't really impressed. There were some interesting rare items which were very nice to look at, though.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had a great time, i scored a lot of deals, dropped a ton at dave and dan's table...ooh, and was it just me, or was the girl at the packrat table really cute? Lol

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, i had an OK time. I was REALLY looking forward to this. One of my main gripes was the fact that there was NO trading room available. I was under the impression there was gonna be, so i packed up my van with ALL my trade fodder including my cocktail table . At least i made a few small trades with Dave toward the end of the day, but in the end most of it came back home. I did ask about where i could do some trading and I was told "Maybe in the hallway or something..."...WTF .

Maybe when GoatDan was starting to organize this, he didn't anticipate such interest. And once the hotel space was booked and then SO many people were interested in participating, they wound up spreading the show all over the hotel, i.e. a room available here, room available there (there were plenty of times i thought i was going to another area and found myself facing an exit ).

I had set aside Sat and Sun for this, but after i tried to go over everything with a fine tooth comb for 6 hours on Sat...that was enough for me. I hope next year its all in the same room.

On a side note i did get a chance to put some faces to some DPers which was cool. But i did think QoF gave me a "Who the hell is this guy with the DP shirt ???" look. But i recognized her from her pictures here, she just probably didn't recognize ( or even know) me .
    My XBL Gamer Tag is : NipRing

MVS 29"CANDY CAB SERIAL: 98515
    Upgrades include 6 Slot MoBo, Oversized Speakers,
    MV-IC Memcard reader w/ Headphone Jacks, UniBios 2.0

I Snatch Kisses...And Vice-Versa

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

First off nice picture of Ryan Conner there TC.

It was ok, I mean i didn't expect the world. I didn't like to much how everything was room to room and whatnot. I didn't see i guess half the stuff i didn't know where much of it was. No one really trading anywhere.

Saw Goodwill hunter in the corner, met YoshiM, Darth and uh whats(shit) his name. and you bet he was pimping the good book.

I didn't see or get manci anything so i don't know whats that about.

Picked up ton of filler stuff, seem like some tension with AA being in the next room, and me walking around with a DP shirt on. Got 5 homebrews and some other filler stuff, no one had any grail items or really anything to drool over.

5 oo 10
    My life and perception has changed, but my principals are the same.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

dang ---yoshiM was there? i didnt get to meet him.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quick question,
    Howmany of you went to the marathon,midi maze and Jagfest area on the first day?
    I was there,but nobody stopped to talk to me
    I did meet up goodwill hunter though.