Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "Test Your Collectors Knowledge" Game

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default The "Test Your Collectors Knowledge" Game

I love these games, I've never seen one here so I figured I'd try it!

Ok, The game goes like this, I will ask a question, a collectors question, and once it's answered the person with the correct answer will ask another question. A true collector will know when he is right, and will not need me or any question giver to tell him he is, so he will then ask another question directly after answering. You can go with any system or the whole video game world in general. It would be nice to switch systems every question if it's possible. Hopefully this topic will do well, I'm interested in seeing the questions that will be asked by everyone!

Ok, I will start it off easy with a question thats NES related.

Why is the Tengen version of Tetris considered "rare"?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Because it was pulled from the shelves after a lawsuit by big N and because noobs gone wild have inflated the price on ebay.

Which came first Adventure Island or Wonder Boy?
    "You're just a poser wanna-be." - RaccoonLad describing yours truly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

You know, just as a personal anecdote, back when I didn't know much at all about games (still don't, really) I was in favor of looking through webpages and making up these sorts of games (with questions I myself couldn't answer without looking up the answers). The Tengen question is sort of...well, I can't name a single person here who wouldn't know that one.

Now the Adventure Island one...hmm, you tell me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RottenToTheGore
    PSN
    TheSuperSadist

Quote Originally Posted by 1bigmig
    Which came first Adventure Island or Wonder Boy?
    Wonder Boy.

...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    Hello VACRMH, you have just received 666 Meseta from Oobgarm.
    The following comment was made: HAIL SATAN

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

You know, just as a personal anecdote, back when I didn't know much at all about games (still don't, really) I was in favor of looking through webpages and making up these sorts of games (with questions I myself couldn't answer without looking up the answers). The Tengen question is sort of...well, I can't name a single person here who wouldn't know that one.

Now the Adventure Island one...hmm, you tell me?
    Are you trying to insinuate that I don't know anything about games so I'm making this topic to learn more. I'm sorry, but I've been collecting games and gaming for over 15 years. I know more about games that most people do, and probably more than 1/2 the people on this board. Did you even take the time to look at my collection below in my sig? doubt it, instead you wish to be an ass and tell me I don't know anything because I made this topic. I'm not saying I know EVERYTHING, I know theres some questions I can't answer so I am hoping to learn a little more. Also I didn't jump in and answer the extremely easy Adventure Island question because I wanted to give others a chance! The answer is Wonder Boy, which came out in the arcades first. Heres a new question then Ed...

Mario (aka Jumpman in Donkey Kong), was designed with a hat on. Why?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Because of the limited color palette. Making him with hair that was the same color as his clothes/other body parts would have looked stupid.

What was the inspiration for Puck-Man? (easy, I know)
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pac-Man creator Toru Iwatani-san was having pizza for lunch, pulled one slice out and there was Pac-Man.

What was the very first system Hideo Kojima-san's "Metal Gear" masterpiece played on?

Cmosfm don't let Ed get to you, nobody knows everything about Video Games. This is a fun way for everybody to learn something new.
    I love ALL Video Games with all my heart and soul

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

What was the very first system Hideo Kojima-san's "Metal Gear" masterpiece played on?
    MSX - sadly a japanese only system

What is the number of gold and gray (seperate, not combined) Nintendo World Championship carts given out and what came with them besides the actual cart?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

There's a bit of doubt as to a definite answer to quantities, but anyway:

DP Guide sez:

The cartridge used for the championships during the NWC tour in 1990. A combination of three games: Super Mario Bros., Rad Racer, and Tetris. 116 cartridges officially exist: 90 grey carts given to NWC finalists and 26 gold carts given away in a Nintendo Power contest. NOTE: the gold version of this game has been sold for as high as $6,500 across private collectors' deals! SANTULLI SLANT: Not only is this highly collectible (especially the gold edition), but it's a darn FUN game too! In a timed game (set via the dipswitches on the physical cartridge itself), you first have to collect 50 coins in Super Mario Bros. Then the game whisks you off to Rad Racer level 1, and when you're finished with that you're taken to Tetris until time expires. The scoring is your SMB score + Rad Racer score x10 + Tetris score x25. Very cool, frantic fun.

It came with a 30 page contest guide.

What do SEGA and CAPCOM stand for?
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Service Games and Captian Commando.

Easy one: How many licensed NES Tengen titles were released?

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm
    What was the inspiration for Puck-Man? (easy, I know)
    I went out to happy hour with my wife and her lawyer friend Masako from Japan the other Friday. And over drinks the topic came out about how I liked old videogames. Masako said she didn't really know about them very much.. but "remembered one game". And I said what game is it? And she held out her hand and made a chomping motion and said "PUCKU PUCKU PUCKU PUCKU".

I laughed and said ahh Pacman or Puckman you're talking about. And she said in her thick jap accent.. "yes! That is it I believe. Puckman!"

I asked her about the pucku sound she was making and what exactly it meant (of course I knew, but just wanted to get her unbiased perspective). She struggled for a bit to find an english equivalent and decided that the closest thing to it would be "chomp" where it's describing a cartoonish sound of eating. thus pucku pucku pucku = chomp chomp chomp. Which of course we all know already.. but hey, it was interesting to hear it straight out of someone unfamiliar with games.

Anyway, sort of off topic but I thought it was a cute story :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    Are you trying to insinuate that I don't know anything about games so I'm making this topic to learn more.
    No, just telling a personal story. That's a true story about myself, and if you don't like me it's still true. Even if you do like me, it's unfortunately true. Now, if you brought a really hard question for the first one, I wouldn't have said that

Also, I don't really think collecting by itself endows a person with a lot of knowledge about interesting things, gossip etc The sort of stuff I care about Even those things which an insider knows can't always be mentioned on an internet forum (ask Zach).

My reason for saying that is these questions tend to be either too easy or show off the questioner's niche obsessions all to clearly. At least you're not expecting us to know things we don't

My point is, trivia's dull. Inside information or personal stories (see NE146) bring these threads alive. So that's not a slam against the topic, but rather against trivia topics in general. I used to think that trivia by itself is a good thing...now I know better. I did it on a couple forums and it turned out to be a bad thing.

Anyhow, everybody knows the Jumpman story too; hell, I read it a while back. You couldn't animate Jumpman's hair moving when he jumped; thus, the hat.

The Puckman story? The designer at Namco was hungry, ordered a pizza and realized it looked like a little dude when one slice was missing. If graphics hardware had been up to the task, Pac-Man would've been a wee pizza.

Nice story though NE146. That sort of thing keeps these threads alive

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

ok, ed, if these questions are too easy throw us a hardball why don't cha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sorry, seems the power of words is escaping me today. I mean to say that if anybody has information about insider things...that would be cool. I've discovered (to my embarrasment) that q&a type things tend to cheese people off, that's all. If we're having fun with this, though, there's nothing wrong with that.

Oh, what's this? Cease and desist? Why not.

Ah, okay, here's a question.

What's the name of Trip Hawkin's latest venture? (hint: First word is not Analog)

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, cmosfm, way to fly off the handle TWICE at a perfectly legitimate reply which wasn't meant to insult you in the least. Damn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Yeah, kinda flew off the handle didnt I, I have a habit of that, I get angry and go all out then I realize what I did was unnecessary and I feel like an idiot for it! sorry guys.

Anyways, as for Trip Hawkins latest venture isnt it a handheld system, I remember Tiger being in the name, not quite sure of its exact name becuase theres just too little information out there now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Digital Chocolate?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, that's it!

And I can't say that Cmosfm is to blame for this at all. I shouldn't have written that in the first place. I don't hate trivia threads--but I wanted to say that there needs to be some thought put into them if they're going to be exciting!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't find it exciting, don't play and move along to the next thread. Why even bother responding?

Anyways, did anyone ever answer the question on the number of licensed Tengen games for the NES? I'm just guessing, 12?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now now boys.. let's not get all riled up over something so "trivial"

*cough*

By the way is there a difference between "collectors" knowledge and "videogame" knowledge? I don't really collect, but I've been around since day one. So... just for fun I'll throw my hat in with a couple of EASY videogame questions EVERY die hard probably knows.. (i.e. if not.. wtf happened? ) as the games referenced are well known enough :P

1. Where is the safe spot in Pacman

2. What's the major difference between U.S. and Japanese Donkey Kong versions

3. What is the common technique often seen being used for high scores in Asteroids (description or common name will suffice)

4. What shocking enemy is introduced on level 17 of Tempest. (a description will suffice)

5. Max point score of the UFO in Space Invaders? (see? no obscure questions about counting, etc.) :P

6. In Robotron, what evil thing do the Brains do to the poor humanoids (description of what the they do or the actual name of the final product will suffice)

7. Lowest Ranking in Gorf?

8. After the world is destroyed in Missle Command, what does it say on the screen?

9. What happens every fifth wave of Defender

10. What's notable about the 9th Key in Pacman

See? EASY!!!!!!! I'd write more... but my boss just called me so I gotta split