Our illustrious DP Random Game Generator has chosen the historical Night Trap on this fine Monday. It had the Sega CD game in its sights but we may as well open this up to the 3DO version as well, throw in the 32X CD for good measure.

Opinions of this game vary greatly, from "worst piece of shite ever" to "significant multimedia experiment". I recently returned to the original Night Trap on Sega CD to see how it stood the test of time and I must say that I enjoyed the game MORE now than I ever did. It's got something to do with the campiness of the footage though, as well as knowing more of the history and behind-the-scenes of this once-controversial game.

So what are your thoughts on the game, then and now?

U.S. Game Releases
Night Trap (3DO, by DigitalPictures) $20/R4
Features the acting talents of "Diff'rent Strokes" actress Dana Plato. Action/Full-Motion Video. LANDMARK: Night Trap was originally developed by Axlon (Nolan Bushnell's company after Atari) for a system called "ControlVision". Some scenes from the planning sessions of the game appear in hidden video on the Sega CD version. PERIODICALS: The UK's "3DO Magazine" gave this game 1 star (out of 5). Released 06/24/94.

Night Trap (original) (Sega CD, by DigitalPictures) $20/R4
Features the acting talents of "Diff'rent Strokes" actress Dana Plato. The original version comes in the old style cardboard box and has an animated woman screaming on the cover. This game was "banned" but later turned up in the re-released version. The game is legendary as one of those government targets that ultimately led to ESRB ratings for video games, but quite frankly it's a poor game whose novelty and shock value wore off many years ago. One of the 21 original releases that were in flimsy cardboard boxes. Action/Full-Motion Video. LANDMARK: This game was a launch title. Night Trap was originally developed by Axlon (Nolan Bushnell's company after Atari) for a system called "ControlVision". Some scenes from the planning sessions of the game appear in hidden video on the Sega CD version. EASTER EGGS: This game has a hidden video of an early demo session for Hasbro executives that took place in 1986! After the end credits roll, while the tribute to Stephen Hasselfield appears on the screen, press Up, then A (x5). Larry Bernstein (then with Milton Bradley) is playing a game called "Scene of the Crime", a prototype of Night Trap.

Night Trap (re-release) (Sega CD, by DigitalPictures) $20/R6
The re-release was one of five Digital Pictures games to be packaged in a blue flip open cardboard box of approximately the same dimensions as the large flip open jewel cases. Action/Full-Motion Video.

CD-ROM Games
Night Trap (32X, by DigitalPictures) $10/R2
Features the acting talents of "Diff'rent Strokes" actress Dana Plato. Port of the controversial Sega CD game of the same name. Action/Full-Motion Video. LANDMARK: Night Trap was originally developed by Axlon (Nolan Bushnell's company after Atari) for a system called "ControlVision". Some scenes from the planning sessions of the game appear in hidden video on the Sega CD version. Released 1995. #T-16202F.

I love her.