Thread: Gradius 2 Famicom

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Gradius 2 Famicom

Am I right in that this was a Japan exclusive? How about Europe? I think it's neat and may contemplate getting a copy. Is it rare? Expensive? What's the average price?

Comments and thoughts on the game itself also welcome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Default Gradius 2 Famicom

Am I right in that this was a Japan exclusive? How about Europe? I think it's neat and may contemplate getting a copy. Is it rare? Expensive? What's the average price?

Comments and thoughts on the game itself also welcome.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gradius 2 doesnt seem to be rare, and yes it is a Japanese exclusive. I just recently bought a copy for about $10 us dollars but its just a mint condition cart...no box or manual. This is in Japan of course, but the games don't seem to be much cheaper here....only easier to find and buy (ie dont have to use ebay).

I have been playing it a little bit in my freetime and its got really good graphics and is a fun game. I plan to try to complete it in the next couple of weeks, but I am not too good at shooters...so well see. Overall, I would reccommend it

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gradius 2 doesnt seem to be rare, and yes it is a Japanese exclusive. I just recently bought a copy for about $10 us dollars but its just a mint condition cart...no box or manual. This is in Japan of course, but the games don't seem to be much cheaper here....only easier to find and buy (ie dont have to use ebay).

I have been playing it a little bit in my freetime and its got really good graphics and is a fun game. I plan to try to complete it in the next couple of weeks, but I am not too good at shooters...so well see. Overall, I would reccommend it

Keeper of the Terror Mask
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Gradius II = great game. I highly recommend picking it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Gradius II = great game. I highly recommend picking it up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Cart only would be swell enough for me. Though this would be a big jump personally as I don't have any imports outside of euro Master System stuff, which really doesn't count as easy as it is to play.

I have to say as a series Gradius has grabbed me lately, but what they did in II in some spots is as impressive as Recca. Large sprites, super fast sprite flicker tricks to get more onscreen at once, etc. Shame there's nothing on ebay right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Cart only would be swell enough for me. Though this would be a big jump personally as I don't have any imports outside of euro Master System stuff, which really doesn't count as easy as it is to play.

I have to say as a series Gradius has grabbed me lately, but what they did in II in some spots is as impressive as Recca. Large sprites, super fast sprite flicker tricks to get more onscreen at once, etc. Shame there's nothing on ebay right now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have a Turbo Duo, you can always pick up the SCD, as it's playable on US/JPN systems.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you have a Turbo Duo, you can always pick up the SCD, as it's playable on US/JPN systems.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great game. The text is in English and for some reason even the "announcer's" voice is in English when you power up. Good lord is it hard though.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great game. The text is in English and for some reason even the "announcer's" voice is in English when you power up. Good lord is it hard though.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How does this compare to the PC Engine version? When I play it, I have a hard time thinking the NES could handle it very well.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How does this compare to the PC Engine version? When I play it, I have a hard time thinking the NES could handle it very well.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a great port, though there are flickering issues, which seems to usually be the case in Konami Nes games. Nothing too severe. The Nes version is tough, but seems quite a bit easier over it's arcade counterpart.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's a great port, though there are flickering issues, which seems to usually be the case in Konami Nes games. Nothing too severe. The Nes version is tough, but seems quite a bit easier over it's arcade counterpart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Regarding the differences between the arcade and Fami Gradius II (and the PCE version as well, as it was just a port of arcade with a new opening and extra stage added), let me quote from an article I wrote for the OPCFG, Are The Home Versions Of Some Gradius Arcade Games Direct Ports?

"Gradius II was never released in the U.S. in any form, yet those who have gotten their hands on both the Famicom version and any of the Deluxe Pack releases or the PC Engine CD may be slightly confused at the differences between them. The Famicom version has a few brand new bosses as well as some new stages that the arcade game didn't. For instance, Level 2 of the Famicom game looks remarkably similar to the arcade game, except for the addition of decorative skulls throughout the level. The reason for this becomes apparent at the end of the level - after fighting the second level boss from the arcade game, you're confronted with a new boss - Giga from the NES version of Life Force, who's much better looking now and has a brand-new laser attack.

In the first stage of the Famicom game, after flying past the miniature suns, you proceed to a prominence section which is much like Stage 3 of Life Force. In the arcade version, you encounter the Phoenix immediately after flying past the miniature suns. The giant spider mech that you fight in the next to last level of the Famicom game can actually be destroyed unlike the one in the arcade game, which must be avoided at all costs. For that matter, after avoiding the spider mech in the arcade game you fly directly into Gofer's lair to defeat him, but in the Famicom version you must negotiate an all new organic level before encountering Gofer. There are also a couple of brand new BGMs that are exclusive to the Famicom version."

Hope that helps a bit. Despite the differences, any version of the game you pick up is worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    therealdire51

Regarding the differences between the arcade and Fami Gradius II (and the PCE version as well, as it was just a port of arcade with a new opening and extra stage added), let me quote from an article I wrote for the OPCFG, Are The Home Versions Of Some Gradius Arcade Games Direct Ports?

"Gradius II was never released in the U.S. in any form, yet those who have gotten their hands on both the Famicom version and any of the Deluxe Pack releases or the PC Engine CD may be slightly confused at the differences between them. The Famicom version has a few brand new bosses as well as some new stages that the arcade game didn't. For instance, Level 2 of the Famicom game looks remarkably similar to the arcade game, except for the addition of decorative skulls throughout the level. The reason for this becomes apparent at the end of the level - after fighting the second level boss from the arcade game, you're confronted with a new boss - Giga from the NES version of Life Force, who's much better looking now and has a brand-new laser attack.

In the first stage of the Famicom game, after flying past the miniature suns, you proceed to a prominence section which is much like Stage 3 of Life Force. In the arcade version, you encounter the Phoenix immediately after flying past the miniature suns. The giant spider mech that you fight in the next to last level of the Famicom game can actually be destroyed unlike the one in the arcade game, which must be avoided at all costs. For that matter, after avoiding the spider mech in the arcade game you fly directly into Gofer's lair to defeat him, but in the Famicom version you must negotiate an all new organic level before encountering Gofer. There are also a couple of brand new BGMs that are exclusive to the Famicom version."

Hope that helps a bit. Despite the differences, any version of the game you pick up is worth it.