Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Random Game O' the Day: StarFox

The DP Random Nintendo-favoring Game Generator (tm) has chosen StarFox. Actually it chose StarFox 64 but let's open this up to the series in general - even the unrleased SNES sequel, if you'd like!

I still enjoy the original StarFox and like it the most of all the games in the series, even despite the terrific graphic overhaul the N64 gave the game and again with the GameCube StarFox Adventures (which added all kinds of new elements to the familiar gameplay). It's a bit crude-looking by today's standards but that graphic style is retro in its own way, I dig it.

What are your thoughts on the game? The series? What was your favorite? Write your own mini-review of the series HERE.

DP Guide sez:

StarFox 64 (N64, by Nintendo) $13/R1 +
    Gray cart. Rated KA. Sequel to the SNES hit Star Fox. You control Fox McCloud as he and his team of pilots take on the might of the evil ANDROSS. Most of the levels include both an "on rails" shooting mode followed by a "full range" mode allowing you to fly about the stage in full
    freedom. Also included is a multi player versus mode and co op mode. Also one of the first games to have the rumble support and the game for a time did include the pack as well. Released 07/01/97. #NUS-NFXE-USA.

StarFox (SNES, by Nintendo) $5/R1 +
    Developed by Argonaut. The start of the popular StarFox series was right here. The first game to use the FX Chip, the on-cart 3D graphics chip used in Stunt Race and Dirt Trax FX. Released 1993. #SNS-FO-USA.

StarFox Super Weekend Cartridge (SNES, by Nintendo) $200/R9
    Developed by EAD. Like the Donkey Kong Competition cart, this cartridge was used for the Starfox Super Weekend competition, where players tried to score the most points. Winners at each Blockbuster store won a specific bomber jacket. After that, the cart was only offered t #SNS-FU-USA.

Graphic from the N64 version:

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Random Game O' the Day: StarFox

The DP Random Nintendo-favoring Game Generator (tm) has chosen StarFox. Actually it chose StarFox 64 but let's open this up to the series in general - even the unrleased SNES sequel, if you'd like!

I still enjoy the original StarFox and like it the most of all the games in the series, even despite the terrific graphic overhaul the N64 gave the game and again with the GameCube StarFox Adventures (which added all kinds of new elements to the familiar gameplay). It's a bit crude-looking by today's standards but that graphic style is retro in its own way, I dig it.

What are your thoughts on the game? The series? What was your favorite? Write your own mini-review of the series HERE.

DP Guide sez:

StarFox 64 (N64, by Nintendo) $13/R1 +
    Gray cart. Rated KA. Sequel to the SNES hit Star Fox. You control Fox McCloud as he and his team of pilots take on the might of the evil ANDROSS. Most of the levels include both an "on rails" shooting mode followed by a "full range" mode allowing you to fly about the stage in full
    freedom. Also included is a multi player versus mode and co op mode. Also one of the first games to have the rumble support and the game for a time did include the pack as well. Released 07/01/97. #NUS-NFXE-USA.

StarFox (SNES, by Nintendo) $5/R1 +
    Developed by Argonaut. The start of the popular StarFox series was right here. The first game to use the FX Chip, the on-cart 3D graphics chip used in Stunt Race and Dirt Trax FX. Released 1993. #SNS-FO-USA.

StarFox Super Weekend Cartridge (SNES, by Nintendo) $200/R9
    Developed by EAD. Like the Donkey Kong Competition cart, this cartridge was used for the Starfox Super Weekend competition, where players tried to score the most points. Winners at each Blockbuster store won a specific bomber jacket. After that, the cart was only offered t #SNS-FU-USA.

Graphic from the N64 version:

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Anyone have any info on the unreleased starfox 2 for SNES? I remember Nintendo Power hyping it up a long time ago in the SNES days.... I always thought it looked cool from what they showed...

Did this just end up being Starfox 64? Anyone know? Why was it cancelled? Especially of the hotness of the first?
    #vbender

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Anyone have any info on the unreleased starfox 2 for SNES? I remember Nintendo Power hyping it up a long time ago in the SNES days.... I always thought it looked cool from what they showed...

Did this just end up being Starfox 64? Anyone know? Why was it cancelled? Especially of the hotness of the first?
    #vbender

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man I loved SNES Starfox. I didn't like the N64 version so much.

The in-cockpit levels were the best.
    A Super Advantage, a Cold One and Starfox is heaven. hmm ^_^

I've thrown out all of my Nintendo Power collection saving only the comic issues, the Starfox comic was double plus good++.
    Vintage Gaming | 8-bit Computing | SID Music

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man I loved SNES Starfox. I didn't like the N64 version so much.

The in-cockpit levels were the best.
    A Super Advantage, a Cold One and Starfox is heaven. hmm ^_^

I've thrown out all of my Nintendo Power collection saving only the comic issues, the Starfox comic was double plus good++.
    Vintage Gaming | 8-bit Computing | SID Music

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by grandamchandler

It didn't become Starfox 64, the proto was actually discovered about a year ago, and dumped.

Here ya go!

http://www.videogamearchive.com/emu/snes/starfox2.zip

Note: it's pretty buggy, but a few people have gotten pretty far with it - I know TheRedEye has seen more of the game than I ever have!

Enjoy.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by grandamchandler

It didn't become Starfox 64, the proto was actually discovered about a year ago, and dumped.

Here ya go!

http://www.videogamearchive.com/emu/snes/starfox2.zip

Note: it's pretty buggy, but a few people have gotten pretty far with it - I know TheRedEye has seen more of the game than I ever have!

Enjoy.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Woo Hoo! Perfect Timing. Now I can truely have a Starfox Super Weekend!!
    #vbender

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Woo Hoo! Perfect Timing. Now I can truely have a Starfox Super Weekend!!
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I LOVED the original Starfox. I remember plugging my SNes sound into my boombox and cranking this game. The graphics were quite impressive for the time. What's ironic is I detest railed shooters, but Starfox for some reason won me over. It was easily one of my favorites on the SNes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I LOVED the original Starfox. I remember plugging my SNes sound into my boombox and cranking this game. The graphics were quite impressive for the time. What's ironic is I detest railed shooters, but Starfox for some reason won me over. It was easily one of my favorites on the SNes.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These are some of my favorite games, hands down. I love this (two-part) series.. I hope Nintendo knows what the HELL it's doing handing the series over to Namco.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

These are some of my favorite games, hands down. I love this (two-part) series.. I hope Nintendo knows what the HELL it's doing handing the series over to Namco.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SNES Starfox was awesome
    but I even more liked the N64 version
    it has (still) jawdropping graphics nowadays and some of the best controlls in a 3d shooter ever
    both truely timeless classics

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SNES Starfox was awesome
    but I even more liked the N64 version
    it has (still) jawdropping graphics nowadays and some of the best controlls in a 3d shooter ever
    both truely timeless classics

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I always got the feeling that StarFox was basically just a graphics showcase game... Although the game had a decent amount of 3D going on, the "on-rails" bit sort of turned everything into Space Harrier. The game is still fun (After all, I always liked Space Harrier), but at the time, I was expecting something more revolutionary out of 3D gaming. I actually preferred the way Cybermorph (for the Jaguar) did things.

I liked StarFox 64 better than the SNES version, The "free range" stuff seemed sort of tacked on, but being able to do stuff like loops and turn-arounds was a nice addition.

--Zero

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I always got the feeling that StarFox was basically just a graphics showcase game... Although the game had a decent amount of 3D going on, the "on-rails" bit sort of turned everything into Space Harrier. The game is still fun (After all, I always liked Space Harrier), but at the time, I was expecting something more revolutionary out of 3D gaming. I actually preferred the way Cybermorph (for the Jaguar) did things.

I liked StarFox 64 better than the SNES version, The "free range" stuff seemed sort of tacked on, but being able to do stuff like loops and turn-arounds was a nice addition.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Star Fox 64 is one of my favorite games of all time. For about a month or two after I got my 64 that was the only game I owned for it, and I played it religiously, going through it on average, 3 times a day. It's just really well made, and is one of those games where you just want to keep trying to beat your high score. Plus the Star Wolf team was badass.

SNES Star Fox was pretty sweet too, I played that alot...but nowhere near as much as I did the 64 one. And the second game, I'm still waiting for ZSNES to release a new version that runs the game right. I hate SNES9x.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Star Fox 64 is one of my favorite games of all time. For about a month or two after I got my 64 that was the only game I owned for it, and I played it religiously, going through it on average, 3 times a day. It's just really well made, and is one of those games where you just want to keep trying to beat your high score. Plus the Star Wolf team was badass.

SNES Star Fox was pretty sweet too, I played that alot...but nowhere near as much as I did the 64 one. And the second game, I'm still waiting for ZSNES to release a new version that runs the game right. I hate SNES9x.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives