Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: What Is Your Own Personal Holy Grail?

Insert Coin (Level 0) Red Baron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While it's not rare at all, I have a lot of affection for the Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt cart that came with my NES back in the 80's, if just because it was the first video game that was legitimately mine and mine alone, and I still have it to this day. (Along with the manual, at least.)

As for other things.. ...Hmm, I'm the sort that tends to have a lot of prizes that I'd never ever let go of, especially SNES RPGs, although extremely few of them have manuals even.

But a few notables..

Chrono Trigger and FF6: I've told the story before in another thread, about how I only got into these games a bit after they came out, so I had to get them used. By sheer luck they both showed up at a game shop at the same time soon after I started looking for them, and I traded in a few NES and SNES games to afford them(which I still regret, but I'm re-buying them still at least).

Tragically they only came with copy machine manuals, but both for being great games and the sacrifices I made to get them, I value these carts greatly.

Super Robot Wars: Original Generations 1 & 2(GBA), complete with everything. I lucked out and found both of them new at EB while looking for something else, and snapped them both up instantly. SRW stuff coming out overseas is pretty rare, and they didn't get a massive run.

Suikoden 2, complete. I got it as a birthday present from someone who didn't know much about video games back when it came out, and I hadn't even heard about the series at the time. I lucked out because not only did this game get really expensive later on, but if not for getting it I would have missed out on a really fine game series as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hm... I have a lot of games, but few that have much value on their own. Though perhaps that isn't the best criteria.

I guess I'd have to go with sealed copies of Power Politics and The Doonesbury Election Game; two titles that my father developed in the early 90's. There's some sentimental value there, you know?

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalChemical View Post
    Hm... I have a lot of games, but few that have much value on their own. Though perhaps that isn't the best criteria.

I guess I'd have to go with sealed copies of Power Politics and The Doonesbury Election Game; two titles that my father developed in the early 90's. There's some sentimental value there, you know?
    That's awesome, and I think it's exactly the sort of prized game a lot of us like to hear about. I suppose "prized" could mean "worth the most money" for some people (I believe there's already a thread for that in Classic Discussions), but I think a lot of people would be willing to let that valuable game go from their collection before letting go of a game they actually have some sort of attachment to -- maybe it was a gift from a dear friend or relative, something they just like to play often, or has an interesting story behind it.

Another game for me would be McDonald's Treasureland Adventure for Genesis. My best friend gave it to me for my birthday and while it's not my favorite game to play and it's certainly not worth much money, I had always wanted to add it to my collection and he gave it up from his own collection so I could have it. I'll always keep and enjoy it for that reason.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Red Baron's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by allyourblood View Post
    That's awesome, and I think it's exactly the sort of prized game a lot of us like to hear about. I suppose "prized" could mean "worth the most money" for some people (I believe there's already a thread for that in Classic Discussions), but I think a lot of people would be willing to let that valuable game go from their collection before letting go of a game they actually have some sort of attachment to -- maybe it was a gift from a dear friend or relative, something they just like to play often, or has an interesting story behind it.

Another game for me would be McDonald's Treasureland Adventure for Genesis. My best friend gave it to me for my birthday and while it's not my favorite game to play and it's certainly not worth much money, I had always wanted to add it to my collection and he gave it up from his own collection so I could have it. I'll always keep and enjoy it for that reason.
    That criteria reminds me of why I was so intent on finding another copy of Blaster Master, after I sold my original one long ago(part of the bunch I sold for FF6 and CT).

One of my friends was obsessed with the game, and was going to get me a new copy to share the love, but then tragically ended up passing away before that time came. Now that I managed to snag a copy of it anyway, I highly value it because of him. I plan to find the proper Nintendo Power issue to help me with it, and do a full classic-style playthrough of it when I have some more time off. Just kind of a late send-off for a bud, I suppose.

Strawberry (Level 2) allyourblood's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
    That criteria reminds me of why I was so intent on finding another copy of Blaster Master, after I sold my original one long ago(part of the bunch I sold for FF6 and CT).

One of my friends was obsessed with the game, and was going to get me a new copy to share the love, but then tragically ended up passing away before that time came. Now that I managed to snag a copy of it anyway, I highly value it because of him. I plan to find the proper Nintendo Power issue to help me with it, and do a full classic-style playthrough of it when I have some more time off. Just kind of a late send-off for a bud, I suppose.
    That's awesome. Sort of the nerdy video game version of pouring one out for your pal. (I mean that in a nice way). I think it's a great idea.

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I really like my mint complete copy of Zelda Wind Waker/Master Quest all in one. I know it isn't super valuable, but it is a pretty rare game that I really like having.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post

That's a wonderful story. I much prefer hearing about these sorts of things than hearing someone brag about their rare collection. Oftentimes sentimental value is far greater than monetary value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSlefo View Post
    Can you post pic of the artwork? Really interested...
    Here are some quick pics-

http://superpcenginegrafx.net./misc/yspc881.jpg
    http://superpcenginegrafx.net./misc/yspc882.jpg
    http://superpcenginegrafx.net./misc/yspc883.jpg
    http://superpcenginegrafx.net./misc/yspc884.jpg
    http://superpcenginegrafx.net./misc/yspc885.jpg
    http://superpcenginegrafx.net./misc/yspc886.jpg
    http://superpcenginegrafx.net./misc/yspc887.jpg

The sleeve says something awesome like: "From the makers of Xanadu and Romancia comes a new SUPER RPG! Can you solve the mystery of Ys?"

One of the many projects I have planned, for when I have enough free time, is to make a page with extensive photos, scans and videos of all my Ys goods.
    Last edited by Black_Tiger; 07-08-2010 at 12:57 AM.

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalChemical View Post
    That's a wonderful story. I much prefer hearing about these sorts of things than hearing someone brag about their rare collection. Oftentimes sentimental value is far greater than monetary value.
    This was came to mind for me and I unfortunately couldn't think of anything that fit the bill.

In fact, I'm trying to conjure up anything that might have a significant sentimental value and I'm drawing a blank. I'm sure there has to be something in my collection that would resonate something but it mildly amazes me that nothing comes to mind right away. Most of my collection is boxed up in the basement and I'd have to physically go through it all and do a little memory recall on what I grab.
    "Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

I have something more sentimental vs. valuable than anyone's on the list. My CIB copy of Ms. Pac-Man for Sega Genesis. Why? Well my grandma's sister bought this for me when I was in 1st grade. It was my 3rd Genesis game (a pack-in copy of Sonic 1 and Taz-Mania being the first two).

Where it holds the most value is the fact that this was the only video game I had where I would come into the living room from somewhere else and find my grandma playing it. All the time, she probably used it just as much as I did. My grandma passed away a few years ago.

When I was in high school, I wanted a laptop really badly and sold off all of my cartridge based games pre-Nintendo 64 except for Game Gear (since nobody wanted it) to be able to afford it. I figured I could just emulate everything I sold. When I got a job at Safeway the fall after I graduated, my grandma died.

A few months later it was December and I decided since I was making money now, I would buy an Atari 2600 again and start collecting again. I started getting system after system and when it came time for me to get a new Genesis system, I went back to the privately owned game store where I had traded in most of my non-Nintendo stuff. He actually still had my same Game Boy Pocket with the protective leather cover that was sold exclusively at Target by Performance although he sold the box, and of course a few of my CIB Genesis games. Including my original copy of Ms. Pac-Man that my grandma played with me.

So now it sets on my shelf and won't be sold off again. It reminds me how she spent a lot of time with me as a kid, even giving the video games I played so much a try and enjoying one.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSlefo View Post
    WOW. Since I was a kid I wanted to get Shining Wisdom (I know not Shining Force) for the Saturn. Mainly because at the time it came out I was a huge SNES Zelda fan and the review said it was a clone. It got a crappy score, but I thought if it was like Zelda it would be good enough for me.

I'm kinda in the market for a Saturn now, and when I looked up Shining Wisdom I was shocked to see how much $ it was going for =(
    Really? I got mine for about £12 off Amazon (PAL Version). Perhaps it's rarer in North America or I just got lucky. I'm more concerned about getting Holy Ark, which is going to cost around £30 - £40 or even worse Shining Force CD. Unless I get very lucky and find it in the wild, it's going to cost me around £100, if not more.

At least I have the much cheaper Japanese versions!
    I reject your reality and substitute it for one of my own!

Insert Coin (Level 0) EvilSlefo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    slefo

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Here are some quick pics-

http://superpcenginegrafx.net./misc/yspc881.jpg
    http://superpcenginegrafx.net./misc/yspc882.jpg
    http://superpcenginegrafx.net./misc/yspc883.jpg
    http://superpcenginegrafx.net./misc/yspc884.jpg
    http://superpcenginegrafx.net./misc/yspc885.jpg
    http://superpcenginegrafx.net./misc/yspc886.jpg
    http://superpcenginegrafx.net./misc/yspc887.jpg

The sleeve says something awesome like: "From the makers of Xanadu and Romancia comes a new SUPER RPG! Can you solve the mystery of Ys?"

One of the many projects I have planned, for when I have enough free time, is to make a page with extensive photos, scans and videos of all my Ys goods.
    Wow man! That looks like some treasure Indiana Jones would find! very awesome.
    "What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have @ you!"

Insert Coin (Level 0) EvilSlefo's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    slefo

Quote Originally Posted by Swamperon View Post
    Really? I got mine for about £12 off Amazon (PAL Version). Perhaps it's rarer in North America or I just got lucky. I'm more concerned about getting Holy Ark, which is going to cost around £30 - £40 or even worse Shining Force CD. Unless I get very lucky and find it in the wild, it's going to cost me around £100, if not more.

At least I have the much cheaper Japanese versions!
    Yea, if you got Shining Wisdom american version then for sure you got a deal. JAP version is much cheaper.
    "What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have @ you!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Woody Pop for the Sega Mark III (along with the Mark III system itself and the paddle controller).

Also I'd have to say my Commodore 64 5-1/4" floppy disk that contains Gyruss, Gorf, and Jungle Hunt. My dad had acquired that somewhere back in 1985 and I played the heck out of those games (some other games are on there too). He gave it to me a few years later. I still treasure it. A close second would be the (copied) disks I got with my C64 when I bought my own in 1988: Boulder Dash II, Radwarrior, Leaderboard Golf, a music disk, and a few others.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Hmm...interesting question. I don't have one particular "prized" game/system, but if I had a list, it'd be this:

Tengen Tetris: got this (loose, unfortunately) at a Goodwill for $2. Next to The New Tetris on N64, still the best version on cartridge IMO.

My original NES: I still have my toaster NES from 1988. It's had its pins replaced and the controllers had their innards replaced years ago so it continues to play wonderfully. I still have the gray light gun as well.

My uncle's 2600: Due to intertwining marriages, my wife and I have some of the same uncles and aunts (and yet we're not related). Growing up we'd play our uncle's Atari 2600 in their basement while the adults did their pow-wow upstairs. Over the years it went to one of our cousins who gave it to me as payment for fixing his computer.

Pac-Man puppet: Not a game or system but still something game-related I consider "prized". Won this when I was living in Las Vegas back around 1981-1983. Went to the upstairs area in Circus Circus and played one of those water gun target games. I won him (patterned after the arcade art sans feet, which fits over your hand and forearm) and a Ms. Pac-Man (which just fit over the hand). Lost the missus in the move back to Wisconsin.

Dragon Warrior IV for Famicom: got this from Queen of Felines back during the first (?) Secret Santa. I had never seen a complete Famicom game before and this totally knocked my socks off. I have it displayed on top of one of the Atari game holder "spires" of my "Ninten-Tower".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

My CIB copy of Starflight for the Genesis. Got it when I was 16. Still has my original save.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Same topic, different subject heading.

http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2466

Agreed. Merged. Continue on with the discussion!
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

My most prized and sentimental item in my collection is my original Vectrex. I asked for this for Christmas of 82 and got it, which was a complete surprise. I got the Vec, an extra controller, and Armor Attack and that game was used for about 3 months straight! It was constantly on, and I'd come home from school or work to find my mom and stepdad playing Mine Storm on it! My stepdad passed away 6 years ago, but the memories of him sitting playing the Vectrex, since he was NOT a gamer by any stretch, still bring a smile to my face. He was pretty good too!

A close second is my copy of Electronic Fun magazine from June 1983 where I got my question to the editor answered about the Vectrex! The answer makes me look like an idiot, but in a previous issue they actually did mention a "Voice synthesis interface" which I thought would be like the Intellivision's add-on.

That's me when I was 15 or so. Good times!
    Last edited by Deadman; 07-08-2010 at 03:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu View Post
    Agreed. Merged. Continue on with the discussion!
    I respectfully disagree. The older "Holy Grail" topic that the newer one was merged with specifically asked about an item you had been searching for but didn't yet have (based on rarity or because you liked it), and the newer one asked about a game/item you already had and treasured, which could be interpreted in a more sentimental fashion (i.e. not worth much but worth a lot to you alone).

I agree that the newer one should be merged with an older one if a similar one exists, just not with the "Holy Grail" one.
    "As you traitors roast in your own juices, I will be safely ensconced three miles below the earth's surface, listening to my wax-cylinder player and enjoying a delicious phosphate!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Quote Originally Posted by k8track View Post
    I respectfully disagree.

I agree that the newer one should be merged with an older one if a similar one exists, just not with the "Holy Grail" one.
    I agree here. Not the same. One was "most prized possession" other is "most wanted to add to collection". Two totally different ideas.