Thread: Circuit City selling used games as new?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Circuit City selling used games as new?

I know EB and Gamestop have been nailed for this, but what about Circuit City?

I bought 2 of the Zelda Master Quest promos over the weekend and noticed today that the shrinkwrap was different on one of them. Not your typical plastic wrap that most CD's, DVD's and games come in, but actual shrink wrap.

I opened it up, and the manual has obviously been thumbed through.

Has anybody else run into this?

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Does it really matter? As long as the disk isn't scratched, the manual isn't ripped, and it still looks like it would if you did buy it new once its opened.

As long as your not buying and keeping them sealed for some odd reason, I dont see a problem here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

still, it's pretty bastardlike that they do that... at least in the case of gamestop/eb etc, when you buy the last copy in the store, they explain that it was for display, has been open, etc... this example at circuit city is just sneaky. not to mention... what is circuit city doing selling master quest promos?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Perkar
    still, it's pretty bastardlike that they do that... at least in the case of gamestop/eb etc, when you buy the last copy in the store, they explain that it was for display, has been open, etc... this example at circuit city is just sneaky. not to mention... what is circuit city doing selling master quest promos?
    Probably the same thing my Best Buy is doing by selling the XBOX TETRIS WORLDS/ STAR WARS: CLONE WARS - 2 game promotional pack-in disks for 69.99!!!! 70 BUCKS FOR 2 CRAPPY GAMES! YAY!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think it's definetly a big deal. Your paying full price for a used product. I bought a used Mario Kart DD and saved 5 bucks. It was barely out 2 days and someone turned it in with the manual and coupons and everything still in there. But the fact is that it was opend and you should pay full price for an opened product....whether its in good condition or not.
    "...I felt raised, I felt LIFTED".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    Does it really matter? As long as the disk isn't scratched, the manual isn't ripped, and it still looks like it would if you did buy it new once its opened.

As long as your not buying and keeping them sealed for some odd reason, I dont see a problem here.
    I think it is a big deal. I buy and resell these types of things. Had I not noticed, I could have been in a whole heap of hot water. And besides, when I buy something new, I want it to be in new condition. The manual wasn't ripped, but it obviously has wear on it.

If a game is opened, the retailer is supposed to ship them back to the factory, not seal it up and pretend its brand new (which is illegal).

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

As much as I hate this practice, I don't think that this time it should be that much of a problem. I mean, come on. $7.50 each? That's really cheap for those.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Querjek
    As much as I hate this practice, I don't think that this time it should be that much of a problem. I mean, come on. $7.50 each? That's really cheap for those.
    Thats why I'm not too pissed about it. I know I can get that back. I'm just wondering if this is a one time deal, or a recurring practice.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    chunkycorn

they do this to a lot of stuff, and some odd things happen, like "hmm, the out of box tag musta fell off" or so i've heard on buying and obvious used satelite box, and it was registered in someone elses name....those were the old days.

now this is not exactly the same but, back in the days when 10 gig HDs came out, I went to CC to buy the maxtor 10 that was onsale for a nice price at the time. I noticed the shrink wrap perfectly cut on the right side and of course, no other boxes, last one. I said i would buy it but i want to open it in front of a manager and make sure that it was not opened before and it was ligit. I paid i opened and presto!!! inside was 800 meg HD, someone had slit the box, stuck a hand in there and pulled out the 10 gig, put in and 800 meg. shock and awe filled the room.

Turns out it was returned by an employee before close last night and they still had the returns recepit, that was to be filed that day or something. What a mess. I actually had to sign a statement and get my money back, a raincheck, and apologee, a $50 gift card. Not so bad really but WTF.

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky
    they do this to a lot of stuff, and some odd things happen, like "hmm, the out of box tag musta fell off" or so i've heard on buying and obvious used satelite box, and it was registered in someone elses name....those were the old days.
    I seem to remember CC getting fined for selling used Packard Bell Computers as new. People would call tech support for the computer and the computer was already registered to another customer.

D
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sisko
    Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm

I think it is a big deal. I buy and resell these types of things. Had I not noticed, I could have been in a whole heap of hot water. And besides, when I buy something new, I want it to be in new condition. The manual wasn't ripped, but it obviously has wear on it.

If a game is opened, the retailer is supposed to ship them back to the factory, not seal it up and pretend its brand new (which is illegal).
    Ok, buying to resell is a different story, I thought you bought for personal use. And if the manual has wear on it then its uncalled for. Go fuss a little bit, threaten to sue, and get FREE STUFF!!! hahahahaha

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yes getting used stuff for full price is gh3y.. i'd do like cmosfm said lol.. go in and be all like.. i bought this "new" game the other day and its obviously used.. the game and manual has wear on it... the value of this obviously USED game is alot less considering the wear.. i have already contacted my lawyer andhe is getting his case ready..

then you throw in some stuff at the end like.. UR GOIN DOWN BUDDY!! and then throw in some stuff about him losing his job over this.. and use words like.. Fraudulent lmao [not spelled right i dont think] then mention a list of a few game titles you've "had your eye on".. then wink at him until he goes "OOooooh.. i gotcha.." lmao then goes and gets ur shit..

i doubt this would seriously work lmao but u never know.. some ppl may crack easily lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

Not to sound rude here, but you're buying a promo. It's something that's not supposed to be for resale anyway. I've never understood this "I've gotta be the first to crack the shrink!" mentality, but I can respect your view on the situation. Just take it back and explain your situation. I don't know about your store, but my store manager appeases most everyone that walks through the door if need be. At the end of the day though, you're getting a good deal and making more than what you paid back on it....so what's the fuss about?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    Not to sound rude here, but you're buying a promo. It's something that's not supposed to be for resale anyway. I've never understood this "I've gotta be the first to crack the shrink!" mentality, but I can respect your view on the situation. Just take it back and explain your situation. I don't know about your store, but my store manager appeases most everyone that walks through the door if need be. At the end of the day though, you're getting a good deal and making more than what you paid back on it....so what's the fuss about?
    Used ones get around $15, new ones get about $30.

I would take it back, the only problem is that that particular Circuit City is 200 miles away. I don't feel right going to another store and chewing them out for something that isn't their fault.

I'm going to let it slide because I know I'll get my money back on it, and its not worth driving that far for a measly extra $15. I just wanted to know if this was a rampant problem within the company, and if so, if anything was ever done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

As far as I know it isn't even an issue. The only time I know games look like they're resealed is when the shrink gets ripped (either in transit or by a customer, or just general wear), then we usually tape it back together. Other than that, open product gets shipped back as defective. I can't vouch for the credibility of all locations though. Other times a game may look like shit are when someone's a little jumpy with a box opener when opening a box of games that just rolled off the truck (we have a copy of Agent Under Fire that no one will buy becaue it has a bit long box-cutter slice down the spine).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default ripoff

To everyone giving Sisko grief: It's the principal! If they're doing that with Games imagine what else they might be reselling as new. If that happened to me -even with the long ride -I'd be marching back in there. *sniff,sniff* -lawsuit?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't understand how many people can say they don't mind. WTF? If I buy something new and it is used I will raise a little hell over it for sure. I see on here all the time people getting mad over ebay auctions with the listing new in it. If it is like new then it is new right?
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I really don't want to have the knock-down-drag-out we did about this a few months ago, but here's my logic:

- If I buy a turd and can't return it because someone sued eb games or whatever, that sucks for me. I'd take buying a reshrinked game as a fair trade for being able to take new games back if they suck. That's my opinion, and the rest of you certainly have yours. I'm done here, I won't try to change your mind if you agree to the same. And for the record, I'm not a prick who copies the games or uses it as a rental service. End.