Thread: Magadrive Gurus I have a question for you.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Magadrive Gurus I have a question for you.

Hello all, I recently picked up a box of misc Sega items and included was a Megadrive system. It also came with it's older American counterpart wihich looks exactly like it as well as some of the slimmer models w/o the volume control and headset jack. My question is, can I use one of the many adapters that came in this box to power up and play this thing on my NTSC tv? Most of the adapters were model number 2103 (or 2130). I don't know if this thing is strictly PAL or even if it is PAL at all. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Fred
    - I don't really like my friends. Yeah, I don't really like your friends either. -
    Lee Harvey Oswald was not a male model... You're god damn right he wasn't, but those two lookers who capped Kennedy from the grassy knoll sure as shit were.-

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

oh, you'd KNOW if it was a PAl system right away by the power adapter, more specifically the end that goes into the socket. if it's sorta huge with more than two prongs, it's a PAL system. it seems as if you may have a japanese system, which runs just fine on a NTSC tv set with the one of the ACs you have in that box of goodness. now, all you need are some games, no?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My Genesis works happily when powered by a Megadrive AC adaptor, so I assume it'll be the same in reverse.
    If it's a PAL machine, you may well have problems getting it to display correctly on an NTSC TV, though.

It should say on the bottom on the unit whether it's PAL or NTSC-J.
    Or alternatively, what colour is the circular band around the cart slot?
    PAL Megadrives have a white band, while Jap/Asian machines have a red band.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OMG, I'm such an idiot I didn't even think obout the prong config. If that's the case I will plug it in when I get home form work and see if this baby works. I actually bought this whole box because it had a Master Ssystem II in it. However, at the time I didn't realize the Master System II did not have the silly card slot needed for the 3-D glasses I picked up. Arggggghhh Luckilly though, It did come with one of those old Game Converters for the Genesis/Megagadrive that does have the slot in it. Whew, anyway, thanks for the info guys. I have about 10 master system coltrolllers, guns etc.. 10-15 geneisis controlllers of all kinds to week thru and see if they work. Then it's off to Buying/Selling or Ebay to get rid of excess stuff I don't need. Thanks again.
    - I don't really like my friends. Yeah, I don't really like your friends either. -
    Lee Harvey Oswald was not a male model... You're god damn right he wasn't, but those two lookers who capped Kennedy from the grassy knoll sure as shit were.-