Thread: Challenging question for the collectors here (Slime World)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Challenging question for the collectors here (Slime World)

I remember playing a game on the Atari Lynx several years ago called Slime World. It also came out on the Genesis. I don't have a Lynx anymore, so I've been wondering about the Genny version. Is it the same or better? Are there any differences in terms of gameplay (by that I mean different areas, controls, etc.)?
    "Genesis does what Nintendon't."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Challenging question for the collectors here (Slime Worl

I doubt the Genesis version has 8-person multiplayer (well, the Lynx had either that or 7, I can't say for sure but it probably depends on whether you include your own machine...) which probably never has happened since the Lynx version went gold.

That's all I can say, unfortunately, and that only because forum member Thomas has a review of it up at his site. Still, that's a useful bit of info that I think should be known right away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Really don't have time for a post edit, so here goes.

According to This eBay auction, Slime World on the European Mega Drive (thus probably MDj and Genesis as well) have split screen two player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    I doubt the Genesis version has 8-person multiplayer (well, the Lynx had either that or 7, I can't say for sure but it probably depends on whether you include your own machine...) which probably never has happened since the Lynx version went gold.

That's all I can say, unfortunately, and that only because forum member Thomas has a review of it up at his site. Still, that's a useful bit of info that I think should be known right away.
    Aw, shucks, yer making me blush! Anyway, the Genesis version of Slime World was made by Greg Omi, (who Lynx fans remember for Electrocop and Klax) with Lx Rudis working the music. It was a valiant effort, but it just paled in comparison to the Lynx version. Most of the animation was gone (like those wonderfully pulsating walls), and everything is just small and pale. And the game itself moves at a crawl. There is a 2-player split-screen mode, which I guess is okay, but what's the point? The Genesis just couldn't handle tha game.

Yeah, I wrote about Slime World for the "Classics" series on my site (which is supposed to be updated by now, dagnabbit), so you could always visit there if you want.
    Ghibli Blog - Studio Ghibli, animation, and the movies
    Daniel Thomas Vol 4 - Video games, music, and my musings

Video Game Fanzines Forever!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, I guess that means I'm going to have to invest in a Lynx and Slime World after all. I was hoping to avoid that step. Anywhere still sell new, sealed versions of the model 2 Lynx? (Fat chance, right? ) I'm just paranoid because my original model 1 Lynx went haywire - sound stopped working or something if I remember correctly. If I still had it, I'd ask for advice on what to do it. Grrr, come to think of it, I wish I still had the games too. I *thought* I still did, but God knows where they are now. That's what happens when you move several times in a few years and don't realize the personal value of what you have until it's too late (that pretty much goes for me and all of retrogaming until recently).
    "Genesis does what Nintendon't."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    According to This eBay auction, Slime World on the European Mega Drive (thus probably MDj and Genesis as well) have split screen two player.
    Slime World wasn't released for the European Megadrive (no Renovations games were). That auction is probably the Genesis version.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Retro Pro
    Damn, I guess that means I'm going to have to invest in a Lynx and Slime World after all. I was hoping to avoid that step. Anywhere still sell new, sealed versions of the model 2 Lynx? (Fat chance, right? ) I'm just paranoid because my original model 1 Lynx went haywire - sound stopped working or something if I remember correctly. If I still had it, I'd ask for advice on what to do it. Grrr, come to think of it, I wish I still had the games too. I *thought* I still did, but God knows where they are now. That's what happens when you move several times in a few years and don't realize the personal value of what you have until it's too late (that pretty much goes for me and all of retrogaming until recently).
    Amazing! I have over 10 Lynx units, most of them being Model 2, and the only ones I have that have failed are all Model 2 units (I have three dead ones right now)! Never had a Model 1 brake - and I have worn the paint off my model 1. I've opened both models, and the Model 2 units have really sloppy soldering jobs on them.

As far as getting a new Lynx, good luck. They are rather hard to find (they are out there, but expensive).

As for 8 player Slime World, I've done that many times. It's outstanding! Only problem is during play, sometimes there is so much going on (bombs expoding and such) that the game exibits slowdown from time-to-time. Of course, this gets worse with a full 8 player game, less with less players (logical of course). Nothing bad, but noticable.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I seek strength, not to be greater than by brother, but to fight my greatest enemy - myself!"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Ozyr's Odyssey2 Archive!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you can still buy lynx 1 or 2 from best electronics 59.00 for a model 2 no eccessories or 74 with some eccessories.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There also was a Slime World on the PC Engine cd. I've been meaning to pick one up one of these days.