Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PSP pricing rumors: $370 - $550 (!!)

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Default PSP pricing rumors: $370 - $550 (!!)

You hear that? It's the sound of thousands of wallets suddenly closing.

Read about it here (I'd rather link the the actual article, but it doesn't seem to open properly for me, so whatever).

--Zero

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

my GOD!

I was hoping for about 200.00 or less, its a HANDHELD for crying out loud!

Anyways, hopefully games will be cheap, within the 15-30 range, I havent heard anything about game pricing except that it will be cheap. How else can you justify paying 350+ for a handheld

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

And, all of a sudden, the N-Gage began to look appealing.
    Egbert, I miss you...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn, I thought the SP is expensive at $100.....

Mike

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1988_11
    Damn, I thought the SP is expensive at $100.....

Mike
    I agree with you there

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, handhelds should never start at that much.
    N1 Video Games

^ My gaming website

Systems I own:
    PS2, PSX, 3DO, SNES, NES, Genesis, 32X, Atari 2600, Saturn, VIC-20, C64, Odyssey 300, Pong Sports IV, N64, GBA, TRS-80 CoCo 2.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Keep in mind that's the projected price point for Europe. If you notice, systems tend to sell in the US at $1 to 1 pound, so that would peg the US launch at $199, which is pretty much what was expected.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

N/A

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At $199, it's not that bad, and it'll probably do some other stuff like play music or something. Hopefully.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D-Lite
    At $199, it's not that bad, and it'll probably do some other stuff like play music or something. Hopefully.
    Oh yeah definitely, it was already published that they are working with the movie companies to release movies on their proprietary discs so it will be a portable movie player also.
    GameGuru
    Visit Nostalgia Gaming if you like classic gaming!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If the system can double as an MP3 player with a good size HD, something akin to at least 5 gig, then I would pay 200 as long as the PSP doesnt have battery issues like the iPods have (battery only lasting for 18 months and then you have to pay 100 bucks for a replacement, complete ass.)

I really want something to replace my iPod. I dont want to combine my phone with a gaming device or music player, I like my phone a stand alone thing. But I would not mind combining gaming and mp3 player.

Still at 200 I wont buy it at launch. I have as of late become a Cheap Ass Gamer, and yes obsessed with the site of the same name, so I'm gonna wait for some games to be offered with that liitle sucker before I empty 200 of hard earned duckets onto an EB countertop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default cheapos

I LOVE how cheap you guys are. A quality piece of hardware does have associated costs. Still, one can't forsee widespread success for a handheld well above $300. I mean, how many ipods are REALLY out there?

Depending on what else it does, it could be a good buy. I was actually thinking about a 40 gig ipod ast $500. If it has more functionality aside form gaming, perhaps it will be cool at $300. If it's just a nice portable console, it's clearly in ngage territory.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will be getting a PSP for sure, even if it is $300! Do you want to know why? Because I want a near PS2 quality Madden on the go! Madden on the GBA SP is okay but it is just like the SNES version. I would love to have that quality of games on a handheld. And no the NGage doesn't compare, I have downloaded and seen the quality of the games on shows like X-Play and it just sucks. My GBA SP blows the NGage away!

Hopefully the PSP will be $200 or lower but if it is $300 I will buy it. Hell I paid that much for my PS1 on launch and the PSP has better specs and is portable.
    GameGuru

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Sorry, $200 is still out of my price range. I'm sure it will be a great system and I plan to get one -- AFTER more games come out for it and the price comes down a little. With my GBA trade in I only paid $60 for my GBA SP, so yes, I do try to save money when I can.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I do hope that the new concept pictures shown will be drastically changed. I actually like some EGM had printed awhile back, remember the one that had two analog sticks? I know they now said there would just be one but I did like that design. Does anyone have a link to a site that has all the concept pictures?
    GameGuru

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Default Re: cheapos

Quote Originally Posted by ianoid
    I LOVE how cheap you guys are. A quality piece of hardware does have associated costs. Still, one can't forsee widespread success for a handheld well above $300. I mean, how many ipods are REALLY out there?

Depending on what else it does, it could be a good buy. I was actually thinking about a 40 gig ipod ast $500. If it has more functionality aside form gaming, perhaps it will be cool at $300. If it's just a nice portable console, it's clearly in ngage territory.
    Yeah, because the n-gage didn't have any other features, like say, playing music, or being a cell phone. No, no, it was just a handheld that did motherfucking 3d.

If you are all about the PSP but rip on the n-gage despite being in the same price range, then there is somethign seriously wrong with you.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't even CONSIDER buying a handheld system at all for more than about $120 and even then, I'd be hard pressed to bother. At $200....I can wait a few years, and most likely, I'll buy it for $30 at a pawn 5 years after release or something. There's no way I could justify a buy like that at $200.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: cheapos

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    Quote Originally Posted by ianoid

Yeah, because the n-gage didn't have any other features, like say, playing music, or being a cell phone. No, no, it was just a handheld that did motherfucking 3d.

If you are all about the PSP but rip on the n-gage despite being in the same price range, then there is somethign seriously wrong with you.
    You see the problem with the N-Gage is that it sucks. No, seriously. I don't give a crap that it's a cell phone and a handheld video game and plays music.
    - have to disassemble it to change carts.
    - screen is ridiculously small AND vertical
    - the system is bulky as hell
    - button layout sucks and is somewhat confusing
    - overpriced

Seriously, I don't know who did the marketing tests for that system but they should be shot. Even before it was released people were complaining about it which should be a big signal to the Nokia that "Hey, maybe we should look at this a little more carefully before we release the biggest flop in video game history."

If someone offered me one pound of gold or a pound of crap, each for $100, I'd buy the gold, not the crap. The price is really irrelevant since people would shell out the coin for something either well-made or revolutionary. The iPod may be a bit overpriced, but it's still the most popular MP3 player on the market. I mean, even Dell sold them for a while and now HP is partnering with Apple. People recognize the quality is better than the competition and the same will happen with the PSP.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Ok, from all the reports here is what the PsP is supposed to be able to do:

1. Graphics near PS2 quality
    2. Play movies
    3. Cell Phone
    4. MP3s

I would assume this will be able to run other systems through emulation at some time. I think the PsP is gonna be very good and worth $300 as it will be a portable PS2, movie player, mp3 player, cell phone and any number of classic systems through emulation.
    GameGuru

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GameGuru
    Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. Ok, from all the reports here is what the PsP is supposed to be able to do:

1. Graphics near PS2 quality
    2. Play movies
    3. Cell Phone
    4. MP3s

I would assume this will be able to run other systems through emulation at some time. I think the PsP is gonna be very good and worth $300 as it will be a portable PS2, movie player, mp3 player, cell phone and any number of classic systems through emulation.
    Yeah but I got a 128 meg MP3 player off eBay for $30 (iRock), and my old ass 5165 Nokia that I got for $20 is still working too. That's cheap technology they're throwing in just to raise the price.

For $300, I think I'll hang on to my GP32 a bit longer.