Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a "poor man's" Neo Geo ?????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Is there a "poor man's" Neo Geo ?????

I just wanted to run a survey on what the forums thought might be a system that captured the "spirit" of the Neo Geo Home cart system...if one did. Feel free to express your feelings on this matter. and most of all, Game on!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

The SNES had a bunch of decent ports and it's probably the closest your going to get.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This probably isnt the answer that you are looking for, but the PS1 had a lot of Neo Geo ports - Metal Slug, the SNK vs Capcom games too. Metal slug 3 is on the japanese ps2. SNK vs Capcom: Chaos is coming to PS2 as well

But then there are a whole shitload of neo games that never went anywhere else, thats why those devoted NEO people are so proud of thier collections.

If you are really interested in the scene either go the emulation route, or just search for the system - you can get one in good condition, but used on ebay for an average of 200 to 250, often comes with 2 controllers and at least a game. I picked up my Neo for 200 with 6 games and 2 arcade style controllers.

But it really is a commitment and an investment if you go Neo bound. I bought my system and the few games that came with it and thats all, its one of the harder systems to collect (as far as your wallet is concerned).

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

The term 'spirit' is a little broad there, but I'll run with the concept and go with the Sega Genesis.

It is the poor man's console in the sense that it is damn cheap to collect for, and those black carts happen to come in the plastic clamshell cases similar to the Neo Geo's offerings. Can't get any more convenient than that!

But also, the Genesis was a powerful machine for its time, and some of those games had big sprites that it handled smoothly. Let's not forget that the core initiative of the Genesis was to bring home some of Sega's arcade titles. Altered Beast.. System 16 hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jive3D
    But it really is a commitment and an investment if you go Neo bound. I bought my system and the few games that came with it and thats all, its one of the harder systems to collect (as far as your wallet is concerned).
    One of the harder systems for sure, but very nice to have (a shelf lined with expensive AES games = not bad, that's for sure).

I'd also have to say that the PlayStation (maybe the PS2 now) would be the system of choice for somebody who wants to play Neo Geo games but can't.

Also, if you ask me older Sega systems feel like a "poor man's Neo Geo," the Japanese Mega Drive in particular. A lot of the games on that system are graphically impressive and just have a lot of stuff happening all at once onscreen (Sonic 2, for example). The SNES/SFC has a lot of good titles, and some pretty intense FX2 chip stuff, but collecting for that system just doesn't feel the same.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How come SNK never made a version of Samurai Showdown for the PS2 or PSX? I dont' really care for king of fighters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Packerfan66
    How come SNK never made a version of Samurai Showdown for the PS2 or PSX? I dont' really care for king of fighters.
    http://www.marksatthemelia.com/Samur...Station_1.html

Typing "Samurai Shodown PlayStation" immediately points me to links for Samurai Shodown 3 (by far the least loved of the series) and the confirmation Samurai Shodown 0 will appear. That's all stuff in the English language, too! No imports required.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Okay, that link officially sucks, but I've no time for an edit (off to class I go). Anyhow, yeah, there's lots of stuff available on the web about SS games on Sony hardware.

http://www.gamewinners.com/playstati...aiShodown3.htm
    ^
    Still sucks, but eh.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Japanese Saturn is by far the best as far as experiencing the NeoGeo.

The fighting games especially are quite close to the cart. In particular those that use the 4MB Ram cart.

Samurai Shodown 3
    Samurai Shodown 4
    Samurai Shodown RPG
    KOF 95
    KOF 96
    KOF 97
    Metal Slug
    Fatal Fury 3
    Fatal Fury Special
    Real Bout Fatal Fury
    Real Bout FF Special
    etc.

Not to mention all the other DYNAMITE 2D fighters, shooters, etc.

To quote DEL "2D Heaven".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Samurai Shodown 3 on the PS One is awful....don't bother.

Back to my orignal point, the Super had Art of Fighting (complete with scaling and added surround sound), FF 1, 2, and Special, Samurai Shodown, World Heroes 1, 2, King of the Monsters 1, 2, and importers got a few more (AOF 2). I guess it depends what generation of Geo games you want. Early stuff is easily available on the Super, later stuff the Saturn.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius
    The Japanese Saturn is by far the best as far as experiencing the NeoGeo.

The fighting games especially are quite close to the cart. In particular those that use the 4MB Ram cart.

Samurai Shodown 3
    Samurai Shodown 4
    Samurai Shodown RPG
    KOF 95
    KOF 96
    KOF 97
    Metal Slug
    Fatal Fury 3
    Fatal Fury Special
    Real Bout Fatal Fury
    Real Bout FF Special
    etc.

Not to mention all the other DYNAMITE 2D fighters, shooters, etc.

To quote DEL "2D Heaven".
    Ah, you beat me to it. Yep, the Saturn has a ton of faithful NG ports.

But as they say at Neo-Geo.com, ports suck. And if you've ever played the real thing on the Neo Geo, you'll know what they mean. Even Metal Slug X on the PlayStation is horrible compared to the original, but of course there is the cost issue.

You won't find many other systems with the fanatical following of the Neo Geo, and that's partly due to the degradation of the mind that comes with blowing $200-300 per cart.

You want a system that has the spirit of the Neo Geo and is cheaper in the long run? Neo Geo MVS or CD. The CD games are MUCH cheaper and apart from load times and the dropped content, are very good. The MVS route is arguably the best way to buy NG stuff as loose MVS carts of games like Samurai Shodown II go for $20 or so, and Metal Slug for about $60-80. The only question is if you're going to buy a cabinet to play the games or a supergun/consolized system.

Lots of NG people switch to MVS due to the cost and also the fact that some games are MVS only

By the way, you can find Neo Geo AES (home cart) systems for less than $200. I picked up a perfectly working system with accessories for $125 + shipping since the case is mangled (aborted modification).

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The perfect poor man's Neo Geo....is the Neo Geo! After spending dough on the system, you can get alotta the older Neo faves for cheap. Samurai Shodown 1,2, Baseball Stars 2, Magician Lord, Fatal Fury Special and a few others can be gotten in the $20-$30 range, quite easily. The brand new stuff will cost some heavy coin, though.
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

I nominate the Dreamcast!

King of Fighters, Last Blade 2, Fatal Fury MOTW, Twinkle Star Sprites, etc.

I think the next best machine that can run Neo games is the Dreamcast, but Saturn & now the Playstation family is in the running for getting the most games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about just buying a Japanese Neo Geo?? They appear to be cheaper than the US consoles and besides the language, run the same games... Any draw back to the J version?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I second the Genesis... at least in a hardware sense. The Genesis is, in fact, very close to the Neo in terms or hardware... 16-bit Motorola 6800 main CPU, 8-bit Zilog 80. The Genny's processors are slower, plus the Neo has better screen resolution, larger sprites, and better colors, but they are the same architecture. The Neo does have some big-ass carts. Imagine the Genny as the Neo's smaller and weaker but friendlier younger brother.

Unfortunately, many of the Neo-to-Genny ports aren't that great, and games is where it counts. I vote Saturn.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Samurai Shodown 1,2, Baseball Stars 2, Magician Lord, Fatal Fury Special and a few others can be gotten in the $20-$30 range, quite easily. The brand new stuff will cost some heavy coin, though.
    Agreed. That's what I tell everyone about the Geo. The vast majority of the games are under $75 now. I got a lot of 7 AES games about a year ago for about $150. I just picked up Spinmaster, Super Sidekicks 2, KOF 95, and 8 Man off E-bay, and all of them came in under $40 each. Super Sidekicks was only $21! I seen Fatal Fury 2 for only $10 (BIN!) last week. Seriously, if you can swallow the price of the console, getting high quality games is easy and no more expensive than buying new games.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default o

I bought a neo with 2 games, all hookups, and a memory card for $40 once. Does that count?

Sadly, I had to give it up...I was poorer than hell, and I was buying it with a friend's money....sorta picking it up for him, since I found it and couldn't afford it.....he could, so better my friend has it at that price than no one I know!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: o

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    I bought a neo with 2 games, all hookups, and a memory card for $40 once. Does that count?

Sadly, I had to give it up...I was poorer than hell, and I was buying it with a friend's money....sorta picking it up for him, since I found it and couldn't afford it.....he could, so better my friend has it at that price than no one I know!

-Rob
    $40!? HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF SNK!

what a deal.

I'm still looking for a NEO memory card. not a high priority since I hardly play it.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

The poor-man's alternative to the NeoGeo, in my opinion, is a PC with MAME. You'll have to pirate all the games I suppose, but they'll be essentially perfect versions. You'll also be stuck playing the games on a monitor instead of a TV (which isn't necessarily bad... my monitor gives a much nicer picture than any TV's in my house), and you might want to pick up a decent joystick, since playing Samurai Showdown with a keyboard kind of sucks.

--Zero

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stargate
    What about just buying a Japanese Neo Geo?? They appear to be cheaper than the US consoles and besides the language, run the same games... Any draw back to the J version?
    Well, there is no region coding but on a Japanese console there will be red blood, bouncing breasts, and some of the ladies have less clothing.

The best is to get either JAP or US version and have it modded with a swicth between Jap/US.