Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feelings on lending and borrowing games?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

man, you guys need to get some better frineds, or stop being so possesive. If a specific person screws something up, then yeah they're out, but otherwise I loan/borrow stuff (mainly games and DVDs) all the time. It saves both parties money to actually buy what they want, so what's to lose? If I ever told someone "Sorry, you can't borrow game X because I just don't trust you" I'd feel like a real ass. Now if I had anything really rare and worth a lot, that might be a different story.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

On the other side of that coin, one of my neighbors stopped by and mentioned how they liked Punch Out when my NES collection came to light. I picked them up a 2$ copy at the flea and gave it to them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ddockery
    If I ever told someone "Sorry, you can't borrow game X because I just don't trust you" I'd feel like a real ass.
    Yeah, I would feel that way also. Thankfully, it's not too much of a problem for me; I'm told that I have an aura in person that is somewhat aloof, and I'm not asked to loan things often.

But, when the situations do arise when I would feel uncomfortable loaning to someone who happens to ask, I find it easy--almost satisfying--to deny the request, knowing that I saved myself some worries. If for some reason, I felt uneasy in just denying politely, I would pull a "You're just using me for my game" routine. That sounds like the ticket (even though I've never tried it).

I have a 50% track record with loaning: Off the top of my head, only two people have recently asked me. One was my brother, whom I politely refused. The other was my room-mate, whom I "loaned" my GBA with Super Ghouls 'N' Ghosts--which was really easy to say yes to; he's a great guy, and he wasn't even taking it out of the room.

All this banter I put out makes me realize what a relevant topic this is for out forums. Thankfully, I got my word in before it becomes a 4+ page mess!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you want to come over to play it then I don't care but if you want to borrow it then go somewhere where somebody would let you.
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm alright with lending but I usually give it in a generic but secure case with all the inserts removed.

and if it can't fit in your jacket pocket chances are I'm not lending it to you
    (someone once asked me if they could borrow steel battalion, needless to say a prompted "hell no" was in order)

generally it's gotten to the point where I enough games where if someone wants to borrow it go ahead at least I know someone is enjoying the game rather it sitting on my shelf and collecting dust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I have about three people that are on my "good" list. My dad, and one of my friends. That's it. If you're not on the list, the answer's "no". I also have a whiteboard set up -- I know it sounds anal, but when people borrow stuff, the name and the item goes on the whiteboard. This helps me remember who has what, and helps them remember to return it.

When people want to borrow movies or music CD's I usually just copy them for them and give them the copy and tell them to toss it when they're done. That way I don't lose the item and they can keep it for as long as they want.

Everytime I loan something out I assume I'll never see it again, so if I do, it's always a pleasant surprise. And if I don't I don't get too broken up about it.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

I learned my lesson in 7th grade.... I'm like, 13 years old or so.

I took the bus to school, and it always got there early before the school opened. We would have to wait outside for 10-30 minutes.

I'd occasionally get into conversations with a couple of the younger school bullies about video games. They were assholes for the most part, but we still enjoyed talking about games.

I mentioned one time that I had just gotton the 2600 version of Popeye, one of my all-time favorite arcade games. They started bugging me to loan it to them, and I finally brought it to school when they offered to trade the game Haunted House for a week for my Popeye. They talked it up, saying how it looked at 3-D and was a fabulous game. When I got home, I was disappointed to find that the game wasn't that great, but it was something new.

After a few days, I brought back Haunted House and asked them to bring back my Popeye game. They said they would (I kept the HH game for the time being.) I asked almost every day after that... the answer was always the same. "Oh! we forgot! We'll do it tomorrow."

Of course, they had no intention of returning it. They were just switching out a sucky game for a good one.

I had an idea... I bragged to them one day that I had a new game... It was one of the hot new ones, I don't remember which one. They wanted to play it, so I told them to bring Popeye back. They promptly did so and gave it to me the next day. Guess what... I had "forgotton" to bring the new game in that day, but I would bring it the next... and the next... and the next. The school year eventually ended and they forgot. I got my Popeye back, and I still have the Haunted House cart they tried to stick me with.

Never loaned out another game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Ha! Is that a true story? I like it.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loaned my Mortal Kombat 2 for the genesis out to a friend. I thought I could trust him. I get the game back the label is torn the box where the plastic was is torn and the manual is missing pages. I was pissed off. I had bought it new with my allowance. I only let my one friend borrow stuff just because he is about as anal as I am about the condition of games.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I loaned my japanese first generation playstation 2 unit to one of my friends
    and he sold it for money to buy heroine...

The only people i would loan games to is Maxlords and Geelw...
    Lead, Follow , or get the F*** out of my way !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    kz5ive

Quote Originally Posted by hu6800
    I loaned my japanese first generation playstation 2 unit to one of my friends
    and he sold it for money to buy heroine....
    Damn man, thats rough Bet you learned your lesson on that one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Odd. My friend once loaned me his heroine, and I sold it for a Game Cube!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I leant my friend my Super Mario Kart around 6 years ago. He then changed schools, and he lived about a mile away so I did not see him often. I knew his cousin though, so I asked her to get him to return it. After about a year of this, I find out that he sold it because he thought that I gave it to him for some reason.

Now the only people I lend my games to are my brother and my best friend because they are both really good at taking care of their games, and even though they arent collectors, they understand my views on the condition of my games.

I never did get another copy of Super Mario Kart, though....
    I like monkeys...and poop...and monkeys that poop...and play video games

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It all depends i live in a dorm building now and i hear about peoples stuff geting stolen all the time so im really paranoid. But i did let my friend borrow one of my sega genesis consoles and 2 games then it turned into 5 games then i just went up into his room and took them back. I know it was an asshole move not to tell him but i did put his things i borrowed from him back. But bottom line is not where im living now to many people leave there doors open so they dont have to answer when friends come over. But even if i have to get up out of bed to answer the door at least i know my videogames are all safe in my locked closet

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Loaning games to a family member cost me a box of 2600 carts that included Mr. Do's Castle, Q*Bert's Qubes and several other now-highly-prized ones - which, of course, I didn't realize were that valuable at the time. So I don't feel like I'm being stingy or out of line.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Most of my friends aren't that big into videogames. A few will ask to borrow Starfox64 or Dukenuken64 so lending those out isn't a big deal. I would lend any game to my good friend Maxlords and vice versa. But the thing it we each have alot of the same games. Also if he had a game I wanted to play he would just bring it over to try. I wouldn't need to borrow it because I have a stack of 20+ games on my playlist I should worry about first

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i had just gotten a new 007 game for my psx.. i let my uncle borrow it.. his house was robbed and it was stolen..