Thread: Toshiba HX-10 MSX Computer

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Toshiba HX-10 MSX Computer

Okay I have a chance to get one with some games, boxed complete with everything fairly cheap, now I hear about the msx2, now is that the one that plays all the good games or what? I need some help here
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Toshiba HX-10 MSX Computer

Quote Originally Posted by brykasch
    Okay I have a chance to get one with some games, boxed complete with everything fairly cheap, now I hear about the msx2, now is that the one that plays all the good games or what? I need some help here
    Yep, you would go better getting a MSX2 from start. And don't forget to add a 31/2" disk drive. Some MSX2 has it built in.
    Games like Metal Gear, Ys, Aleste, etc will require a MSX2, but there is a bunch of good games for the MSX1 too, like Zanac, Knightmare, Goonies, Arkanoid, etc...

Eduardo Mello
    Eduardo Mello
    [url]www.opcodegames.com[/url]
    Opcode Games - Bringing new life to your ColecoVision
    Currently working on Arkanoid, Donkey Kong Arcade, Knightmare, Goonies and many others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hey Opcode, I see that Undead Line works on an MSX 2 and a 2+...what's your opinion on buying a 2+ system? Is there any reason for it?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Hey Opcode, I see that Undead Line works on an MSX 2 and a 2+...what's your opinion on buying a 2+ system? Is there any reason for it?
    Unfortunately few games use the MSX2+ extra features, and Undeadline isn't one of them. Maybe the only difference would be the sound, since MSX2+ computers already include MSX-Music sound chip built-in, while you will need a separated FM Pack module for MSX2 computers (and the tunes in Undeadline are really good).

Eduardo
    Eduardo Mello
    Currently working on Arkanoid, Donkey Kong Arcade, Knightmare, Goonies and many others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yes, the front of the package mentions MSX Sound, so that could be what's enhanced (if anything is).

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Yes, the front of the package mentions MSX Sound, so that could be what's enhanced (if anything is).
    Ummm... I don't remember. I will check MSX Magazine.
    By the way, do you know you will able to buy new MSX computers later this year?
    ASCII (the original owner of MSX standard) and MSX Association are working on a project called 1chip MSX, which will place the entire MSX hardware inside a single IC (including MSX/MSX2/MSX2+/TurboR).
    Futhermore ASCII has just released the new MSX Magazine 2, including the last build of MSXPlayer, the official MSX emulator, now featuring MSX TurboR compatibility. And you can also buy MSX Game Reader, a small gadget with a cartridge connector and a USB port so you can use original cartridge software with MSX Player.
    The final step will be MSX3, expected for next year...

Eduardo Mello
    Eduardo Mello

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do you know the price range of the msx3?
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gamergary
    Do you know the price range of the msx3?
    It wasn't released yet, neither was an official price announced. But Mr. Nishi from MSX Association (former ASCII president and the creator of MSX standard) has told it would be in the $100-$300 price range. The specs will probably include a powerfull 32bits RISC CPU and wireless communication, which is key to this project.
    Interestingly, MSX3 was first planned more than 10 years ago (around 1990) but the project was canned and the MSX TurboR was released instead. Aside the new CPU used with TurboR machines (a RISC version of the Z80 CPU, 8 times faster than the original), the MSX3 machine was going to feature a major graphic upgrade (multiplanes, tile e linear screen modes, superfast blitter, higher resolutions, 32K colors or 19K colors on screen in YUV mode, 128 bitmapped sprites, many memory pages, special modes for GUI) and built-in CD-ROM. After the project had been cancelled, Yamaha (maker of most MSX chipsets) reworked the MSX3 VDP (originally named V9978) and released it as V9990, but with the MSX legacy core removed.

Eduardo Mello
    Eduardo Mello

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by opcode
    The final step will be MSX3, expected for next year...
    MSX 3 sounds pretty nifty, awesome in fact (from those specifications I'm thinking a jump from about the NES to far beyond the Neo Geo...I've got my eye on a certain model of MSX 2, and this information helps a lot since it means I have a choice between getting an old MSX 2+, or a nice new MSX 3 which can do everything :)

The rumored price range is really nice, too. If they play this right it could be a real player in the game industry again, which I doubt will happen (but could).

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At that price it looks like I'm buying one so I can finally play some of those fun msx games.
    Sorry Ryan, but your girlfriend is in another school.

Video games & manga (my manga scanlation group that scanlates video game manga) http://www.north101.net/Chara/vgm/index.html