Thread: List sorting conundrum...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default List sorting conundrum...

Weird dilemma.

And comment if you like.

For instance, I have all my NES games sorted.. but when it comes to games with sequels that weren't named like they SHOULD be, they get separated alphabetically.

Two examples would be the two NES Zelda's and the two Startropics games.

The first Zelda is named "The Legend of Zelda" which is sorted under "L". The second is named "The Adventure of Link" which is sorted under "A".

The first Startropics is named simply "Startropics". Which is sorted under "S". But the second is named "Zoda's Revenge: Startropics II". Damn it if I have to put it under "Z" to make it look right.

Then come the Simpsons games.

"Bart vs. the Space Mutants" and "Bart vs. the World" could be sorted under "B" or "S" since they DO say "The Simpsons" at the beginning of the title. Albeit smaller. But then comes "Krusty's Fun House featuring The Simpsons". Ugh! Here we go again. This one's sorted under "K".

That's not the only problem. Then come the games like the Madden series which was originally named "John Madden" so, do you sort those first ones under "J" or "M"? I would do "M" but it looks wrong. And sorting in a list on my site, it would go under "J".

What a mess game companies make.

What do you do in this situation? Do you put your Zelda's and Simpson's and Tropics' and Madden's together? Or sort them the "correct" way? Me so confused. x_x

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I sort by publisher as well as alphabetically, so I have an even weirder looking setup than you. For example, Mega Man 1-5 are with their Capcom brethren, but to find Mega Man 6, you have to look all the way over in the first-party Nintendo games. But it doesn't bother me because if I can't find a specific game, I just check who the publisher is in my DP guide, then look under that publisher in my (altered) Andrew Krieg master list.

What really bothers me are the "Jaleco" end-label games. Damn you Jaleco, damn you...
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Morbis
    What really bothers me are the "Jaleco" end-label games. Damn you Jaleco, damn you...
    I have Bases Loaded with that Jaleco on the end.

I also just got Spy vs. Spy in box. This game has "MAD" on the end of the game. But since it's boxed, it won't bother me. But dammit. Why did they have to do this stuff?! x_x

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sort by publisher as well as alphabetically, so I have an even weirder looking setup than you. For example, Mega Man 1-5 are with their Capcom brethren, but to find Mega Man 6, you have to look all the way over in the first-party Nintendo games.
    I do the same here. By publisher then by name.
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One good way is to look in the manual. Usually somewhere on the first couple of pages they'll have the name of the game explicitly stated. If I was ever going to very accurately list my games, I would explore this route.

Although, I just did a quick look at the Flintstones: rescue of Dino and Hoppy and it says

THANK YOU for purchasing the FLINTSTONES From Taito.

So did they just shorten it for the manual or is that the official name of the game?

You could also check the title screen.
    "You're just a poser wanna-be." - RaccoonLad describing yours truly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by sniperCCJVQ
    I sort by publisher as well as alphabetically, so I have an even weirder looking setup than you. For example, Mega Man 1-5 are with their Capcom brethren, but to find Mega Man 6, you have to look all the way over in the first-party Nintendo games.
    Mine are sorted similarly; by publisher, but then by approximate chronological order of release. Hell, it makes sense to me

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    Quote Originally Posted by sniperCCJVQ
    Mine are sorted similarly; by publisher, but then by approximate chronological order of release. Hell, it makes sense to me
    I have no problem with sorting by publisher and date and such. It's just trying to figure out what to file certain titles under. Most people would look for Zelda games under Z. But one is under L and one is under A. It gets confusing.

Startropics II is actually named Zoda's Revenge. Who would look under Z? It just gets funny and confusing. I dunno. Just a little peeve of mine. I can remedy it by tricking my listing engine with comments. But I shouldn't have to. Whatever.

Actually, I'd like to eventually add publisher names and maybe release dates to my listing. But that's a lot of work. Especially for 515 games.