Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can somebody explain the whole "Metal Slug Phenomena&qu

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sotenga
    It's pretty darned violent... but you need to have the blood "on" in your Neo Geo's menu. Otherwise, it just registers as milk... I think it's milk myself. Sweat can't be THAT white, can it?
    No, but it can be some other bodily fluid.

Seriously, I'm surprised some idiot kid hasnt killed another kid and used the 'censored game" defense.

"I didnt know guns were bad! When I shot ppl in Metal Slug all they did was sweat!"
    http://www.2d-x.com
    The best 2D and 2.5D video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Quote Originally Posted by jaydubnb
    It's pretty darned violent... but you need to have the blood "on" in your Neo Geo's menu. Otherwise, it just registers as milk... I think it's milk myself. Sweat can't be THAT white, can it?
    No, but it can be some other bodily fluid.

Seriously, I'm surprised some idiot kid hasnt killed another kid and used the 'censored game" defense.

"I didnt know guns were bad! When I shot ppl in Metal Slug all they did was sweat!"
    ... I was hoping someone wasn't going to denote the obvious resemblance of "sweat" in MS to...

Okay, let's not focus on that. Let me just ask a question: What's your favorite enemy/boss in the MS series? I like the scientist zombies in stage 2 of MS3, who actually rip out their intestines and squeeze them to shoot "zombie juice!" I also am fond of the Super Soldier, Allen O'Neal. You know, the big, bald, bearded man who runs around firing his gattling gun and tossing grenades, all while jeering "Come on, boy!" and "Go home to mommy!"? Don't get me started on my fondness for the Mars People, who I am happy for, having made it into SNK vs. Capcom: Chaos!
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sotenga wrote:
    Anyway, back to the original matter at hand here, Metal Slug rocks. It's pretty darned violent... but you need to have the blood "on" in your Neo Geo's menu. Otherwise, it just registers as milk... I think it's milk myself
    Buy a fucking Neo Geo asshole. I'm sick of your 'expertise' on all things Metal Slug and Neo Geo, when you and I both know damn well all your knowledge is based off of Kawaks or some other emulation bullshit. You've admitted that you don't buy games because that would take away from your 'music' money. You play MS3 on Kawaks when it was just sold out only last November, you go on to say how you are glad Mars People are in SvC:Chaos...must be nice to fucking get all the latest games for nothing huh?

Anyone has a problem with what I just said here go kiss my ass. Yeah, I'm being a dick so what, I'm not going to make someone feel good and comfort them for what is basically stealing. We are talking about brand new games here, SvC:Chaos? WTF? and I'm sure there is no shortage of MS4 and MS5 roms on his harddrive right now either, including SSV and probably KOF2002 or some shit. This guy isn't supporting SNKP in any way shape or form.

Yeah it pisses me off because I try to think of it this way, I try to think of what if someday I write a book, or if someday I create something and some jackass steals it and uses my blood, sweat, and tears for his benefit and profit. How would you feel?

Some say a true gamer just wants to play the games, it doesn't matter how they do it. Thats bullshit, you types just keep telling yourselves that nonsense to relieve your own guilty conscience. You want to know what a true gamer is? A true gamer is someone who plays games yes, but he also contributes to the gaming community by purchasing actual games, selling games...not STEALING them for their own selfish needs. I know that when certain people here talk about gameplay, they know because they have the fucking game in their console right now, you can trust that opinion, you can respect that opinion. You better damn well believe that when I chime in on a game, its because I own the game, and I've played the game the way it was meant to be played.

You know when you ask people what do they like better, emulation or console, and the people who respond 'console because, well I can't explain it, its just better'...they get it...they are right it does not need to be explained because it's just the right thing to do in all senses, including economic, and it speaks volumes in terms of character. Likewise, it speaks volumes in terms of one's character who uses any excuse they can to play the games for free on their PC.

Is most emulation harmless? Well, yeah there are alot worse things we could do right? But you dont' point to worse behavior to justify your bad behavior. And you either think stealing is wrong or you don't. I don't think you can say certain kinds of theft are ok. I feel bad for a company like SNKP ya know? Here it is only weeks after game releases and everybody who's anybody has all the latest ROMS on their HD's,along with the requisite bootleg auctions on ebay, and who gets blamed? SNKP of course...wtf?? jesus the arrogance of people to never look in the mirror, its someone like me who has to stand up for a game company and put the mirror to your face...I'll take the hit as Asshole of the year, I don't care thats life, I'm just sticking up for the right side and doing whats right is never easy. I know I'll get flamed for this because no one likes having a mirror held to their face, I know I've been there.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I have to agree wth Gunstarhero on this. Emulating Metal Slug 3 4 or 5 is extremely immoral considering the games are so new. MS3 is from 2001 and just sold out at the Neostore a few months ago and they might release it on the PS2 soon. It's for sale now on the PS2 in Japan.

ANYWAY, the Metal Slug series is far better than Contra and I love it to death. It's actually my favorite gaming series ever. If you sit down with it on a real Neo-Geo and play it as it's supposed to look (none of that emulator bleeding graphics bullshit) and sound and you actually play with a good controller and you actually play it to master it you're in for a real treat. Even casually the games are incredible for multiplayer. I've never had someone dislike Metal Slug who I introduced to it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'D BUY METAL SLUG 5 IF THEY ONLY SENT MY POSTER! *burn*

Nah, that's got nothing to do with it, but I still have to point out that Playmore has made some mistakes. Then there's some times where they've made very good choices, like buying the SNK property, and possibly in keeping the old series alive on the Atomiswave :D

As for knowledge of old games? Well, all my arcade game playing recently has been on MAME (though it's *all* been obscure or quite old stuff, Altered Beast and Konami's Aliens, for instance. If I had a chance to get to an arcade, you'd bet I would plop some money in, and nevermind that shelf full of Neo Geo AES titles. On the other hand, knowledge is knowledge, and while it's certainly alright to "stick up for what's right" and get after people who abuse emulation, Sotenga still does have some facts down about the system *and* how often can he get out to an arcade? I would think he'd play some Metal Slug if he actually could get to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Gunstarhero
    Sotenga wrote:
    Anyway, back to the original matter at hand here, Metal Slug rocks. It's pretty darned violent... but you need to have the blood "on" in your Neo Geo's menu. Otherwise, it just registers as milk... I think it's milk myself
    Buy a fucking Neo Geo asshole. I'm sick of your 'expertise' on all things Metal Slug and Neo Geo, when you and I both know damn well all your knowledge is based off of Kawaks or some other emulation bullshit. You've admitted that you don't buy games because that would take away from your 'music' money. You play MS3 on Kawaks when it was just sold out only last November, you go on to say how you are glad Mars People are in SvC:Chaos...must be nice to fucking get all the latest games for nothing huh?

Anyone has a problem with what I just said here go kiss my ass. Yeah, I'm being a dick so what, I'm not going to make someone feel good and comfort them for what is basically stealing. We are talking about brand new games here, SvC:Chaos? WTF? and I'm sure there is no shortage of MS4 and MS5 roms on his harddrive right now either, including SSV and probably KOF2002 or some shit. This guy isn't supporting SNKP in any way shape or form.

Yeah it pisses me off because I try to think of it this way, I try to think of what if someday I write a book, or if someday I create something and some jackass steals it and uses my blood, sweat, and tears for his benefit and profit. How would you feel?

Some say a true gamer just wants to play the games, it doesn't matter how they do it. Thats bullshit, you types just keep telling yourselves that nonsense to relieve your own guilty conscience. You want to know what a true gamer is? A true gamer is someone who plays games yes, but he also contributes to the gaming community by purchasing actual games, selling games...not STEALING them for their own selfish needs. I know that when certain people here talk about gameplay, they know because they have the fucking game in their console right now, you can trust that opinion, you can respect that opinion. You better damn well believe that when I chime in on a game, its because I own the game, and I've played the game the way it was meant to be played.

You know when you ask people what do they like better, emulation or console, and the people who respond 'console because, well I can't explain it, its just better'...they get it...they are right it does not need to be explained because it's just the right thing to do in all senses, including economic, and it speaks volumes in terms of character. Likewise, it speaks volumes in terms of one's character who uses any excuse they can to play the games for free on their PC.

Is most emulation harmless? Well, yeah there are alot worse things we could do right? But you dont' point to worse behavior to justify your bad behavior. And you either think stealing is wrong or you don't. I don't think you can say certain kinds of theft are ok. I feel bad for a company like SNKP ya know? Here it is only weeks after game releases and everybody who's anybody has all the latest ROMS on their HD's,along with the requisite bootleg auctions on ebay, and who gets blamed? SNKP of course...wtf?? jesus the arrogance of people to never look in the mirror, its someone like me who has to stand up for a game company and put the mirror to your face...I'll take the hit as Asshole of the year, I don't care thats life, I'm just sticking up for the right side and doing whats right is never easy. I know I'll get flamed for this because no one likes having a mirror held to their face, I know I've been there.
    What's that I hear, sounds like a WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMBUL ANCE.

Guess what, SNK isn't making any money off those games after they sell them the first time around. So who gives a shit if you emulate a game like MS3, which they don't make cash on? Sure there's home ports, but you already know that he buys those. SO what the fucking hell are you complaining about?

A common misconception is that SNK cares about the fucking roms. They don't. The roms aren't much. It's the bootleggers that are the problem, and they fucking make those with or without the roms. So what if you actually bought a neo geo and play the rom on that? Good for you. it's more fun on an actual neo geo. I'll attest to that. But you know, thats just not feasible with metal slug 1 unless you buy an MVS cabinet. And even that's not making SNK any money, so...whats your argument.

Emulation is one thing. Emulation of newly released games, I have a problem with. But MS3 and MS4 are far from newly released.

So stop riding the kids ass, because roms aren't the problem, and he's already said before he doesn't have the roms of any of the newly released games.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="ubersaurus"][quote="Gunstarhero"]Sotenga wrote:
    Emulation is one thing. Emulation of newly released games, I have a problem with. But MS3 and MS4 are far from newly released.
    Bullshit, MS4 was released only about a year ago and hasn't even hit the port market yet...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

[quote="dmhawkmoon"][quote="ubersaurus"]
    Sotenga wrote:
    Bullshit, MS4 was released only about a year ago and hasn't even hit the port market yet...
    Is SNK still making money on it? Go ahead, tell me. Are they still directly selling MS4? No? Well then they aren't making money on it, and thus, its not a new release.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="ubersaurus"][quote="dmhawkmoon"]
    Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus
    Sotenga wrote:
    Is SNK still making money on it? Go ahead, tell me. Are they still directly selling MS4? No? Well then they aren't making money on it, and thus, its not a new release.
    Distributors are still selling Metal Slug 4 and SNK makes its money off the distributors. The less money the distributors make the less they'll buy in the future. Besides, The person in question was emulating this game long before NOW. He's already doing it with SNK vs Capcom. I don't want to start a war, but you're not making any sense. People are being hurt when gaming "fans" don't buy games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    I'D BUY METAL SLUG 5 IF THEY ONLY SENT MY POSTER! *burn*
    i also didn't receive mine

Nah, that's got nothing to do with it, but I still have to point out that Playmore has made some mistakes. Then there's some times where they've made very good choices, like buying the SNK property, and possibly in keeping the old series alive on the Atomiswave

As for knowledge of old games? Well, all my arcade game playing recently has been on MAME (though it's *all* been obscure or quite old stuff, Altered Beast and Konami's Aliens, for instance. If I had a chance to get to an arcade, you'd bet I would plop some money in, and nevermind that shelf full of Neo Geo AES titles. On the other hand, knowledge is knowledge, and while it's certainly alright to "stick up for what's right" and get after people who abuse emulation, Sotenga still does have some facts down about the system *and* how often can he get out to an arcade? I would think he'd play some Metal Slug if he actually could get to.
    have to agree here and something to add, I DON'T HAVE THE POSSIBILITY TO PLAY THE ORIGINAL damnit, i just don't have it!! there are NO arcades in a radius of a thousand miles of my home, i haven't seen a single arcade since over 10 years. How can i play it huh? oh yeah, sure, buy a neo geo and the games for it, a neo geo plus 2 of those new games would cost me more than i can spend on gaming in a whole year. i'm not harming SNK in any way (btw i don't have ms3 to ms5, just 1 and 2) because i wouldn't / couldn't buy the games anyway, no matter if i have the emulated version or not! they do not lose money by me playing a rom and they also wouldn't get more if i couldn't play the rom. i'm probably going to buy the ps2 version because that one is affordable for someone like me, as long as i have no way to pay for it even if i want to i'm not going to feel guilty when playing a rom, period
    -Jan

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Can somebody explain the whole "Metal Slug Phenomen

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    First off, let me say that I don't know a damn thing about Metal Slug. The only thing I know is that it is a Neo Geo game. But I really don't know anything else about it.

But people are always talking about Metal Slug this, and Metal Slug that.

So if somebody could please breakdown the whole Metal Slug Phenomena for me, I would be greatly appreciative of that.

Thanks.
    ok here is what you do...
    you open a search engine in your browser
    and type in METAL SLUG and watch how much shit pops up.

nah im just messing with ya.

metal slug is like ,,, was a neo geo game and shit.
    then it was ported over to other systems and whatnot
    many versions came out.. they were fun to play..
    you missed it..

the end..

your welcome ahahah
    Lead, Follow , or get the F*** out of my way !

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[quote="ubersaurus"][quote="dmhawkmoon"]
    Sotenga wrote:
    You are being a dumbass. How narrowminded are you anyway uber? You need to see the big picture here, there are secondary markets to consider, not just SNKP. Anyone who is buying games is helping the entire game market not just SNKP or any game company. You can't be involved in something without investing in it. The more money that is being shared, the more transactions being made in ANY market helps not only the micro-economy of the gaming community, but also the general economy as a whole.

You see what I mean about gamers making excuses to play for free, the above is a shining example in a sea of excuses. Apparently it's ok to steal intellectual properties the second the game is sold out.

BTW I'll ride anyones ass that is blatantly abusing and stealing roms, I've earned that right considering I've spent the money, I've made the sacrifice, I know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

[quote="Gunstarhero"][quote="ubersaurus"]
    Quote Originally Posted by dmhawkmoon
    Sotenga wrote:
    You are being a dumbass. How narrowminded are you anyway uber? You need to see the big picture here, there are secondary markets to consider, not just SNKP. Anyone who is buying games is helping the entire game market not just SNKP or any game company. You can't be involved in something without investing in it. The more money that is being shared, the more transactions being made in ANY market helps not only the micro-economy of the gaming community, but also the general economy as a whole.

You see what I mean about gamers making excuses to play for free, the above is a shining example in a sea of excuses. Apparently it's ok to steal intellectual properties the second the game is sold out.

BTW I'll ride anyones ass that is blatantly abusing and stealing roms, I've earned that right considering I've spent the money, I've made the sacrifice, I know what the fuck I'm talking about.
    Not again... look, I remember we had an argument similar to this a long time ago, and I explained that I'd rather take the real deal as opposed to roms, but I simply don't have the cash. I'm not employed, and my entertainment budget has been a little shaky as of late... I just wanted to talk about Metal Slug. I didn't even say anything about roms... just let it go already. I explained my case a long time ago. This is really starting to irritate me.

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sotenga I can let off on this, because I sort of know him and know that he would actually get the real thing when he gets the cash... Sotenga, grab the ports however, emulation isn't really right in this instance but I'm not going to rape you over it.

however...

Uber: Insanely dumb argument there, bro. Emulating Metal Slug 3 does hurt SNK/P quite a bit! Why? Metal Slug 3 for PS2, coming soon. SNK actually still makes quite a bit of money off of their releases over the past four years or so because of those arcade distributors. Emulation is just as bad as bootlegging to SNK/P and yes they do care, otherwise they wouldn't have nailed one rom-dumper to the wall and cause his website to be all but shut down.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Quote Originally Posted by AdamG
    Sotenga I can let off on this, because I sort of know him and know that he would actually get the real thing when he gets the cash... Sotenga, grab the ports however, emulation isn't really right in this instance but I'm not going to rape you over it.

however...

Uber: Insanely dumb argument there, bro. Emulating Metal Slug 3 does hurt SNK/P quite a bit! Why? Metal Slug 3 for PS2, coming soon. SNK actually still makes quite a bit of money off of their releases over the past four years or so because of those arcade distributors. Emulation is just as bad as bootlegging to SNK/P and yes they do care, otherwise they wouldn't have nailed one rom-dumper to the wall and cause his website to be all but shut down.

-AG
    I have been meaning to get the PSX version of Metal Slug X for a while... I just have had a little difficulty finding it. I'll try harder. And I am anticipating MS3 for the PS2... I have removed my rom images of both games from my main folder. It's the least I can do.

But I am a bit disappointed that a humble thread about MS has turned into a war over Neo Geo roms... actually, I'm upset.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

But I am a bit disappointed that a humble thread about MS has turned into a war over Neo Geo roms... actually, I'm upset.
    So am I.

I get upset when these threads get into personal attacks, but I do see Gunstarhero's argument as a valid one. Now that everyone's point has been made and I'm sure Anthony1 got much much more than he bargained for, let's let this drop before it escalates any further.

>> lock <<