• No

9 56.25%

Thread: DS Killer App

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default DS Killer App

So, no doubt all of you frequent visitors have gotten word of the Nintendo DS system. Well, I was wondering, seeing as most people here would subscribe to the "games above all else" school of thought, what it would take to get you to buy the DS--all other factors unknown (besides the meager info that's already been reported).

So, here's the scenario: Nintendo reveals a killer game from one of their flagship series, and it's certain to live up to the greatest game from its series. Is that enough to get you to fork over the (purely hypothetical) $200 price tag + $40 for the game?

This poll was set up out of pure curiousity about your decisions as a voting gamer, whom casts ballots in the form of cash, so please be honest in your choice. All I want is a simple yes or no; feel free to imagine any original killer app from any series. But, please also realize that this killer app represents the absolute maximum that Nintendo is able to give and, thus, is the only first-party game at launch.

P.S. Please comment, too.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One game has never, ever sold me on a system. The Nintendo DS system will need to roll out a bunch of good games that really entice me before I think about spending any money on it. Personally, I don't think that this system has a great shot. The dual screen thing is a great idea in concept, but how many games will really use this technology well?

I can only see it being used effectively on a few types of games. First person shooters, so you can have your view on one side and a map and your display on the other. RPG's where you have a map and inventory on one side and the game screen on the other.

The system will need a LOT of killer software to prove to me it is even worth considering. I haven't yet considered purchasing any new consoles, as there simply isn't enough software on any of them that make me feel like I need to upgrade my Dreamcast. I'm extremely happy with my Neo Geo Pocket, and I don't plan on changing it unless it is for something really, really good
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

N/A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I voted yes. If Nintendo makes something I absolutely can't live without, I'll open my wallet and let fly. I can see some intriguing ideas coming about via the DS, but I don't know whether or not it will catch on or not. One such idea is that in any link game (say, a Dynasty Warriors DS, how's that for a stretch?), where you are playing with two people, you could see yourself on one screen and your ally on another. Or maybe in a sniper game, a la Silent Scope, you could have a "world view" on one screen, and your zoomed-in view on another. I hope they don't just use the screen as a map/inventory, because that would be a shame.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Hell, if there was a truly amazing game for the R-Zone, I'd buy that too.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    Hell, if there was a truly amazing game for the R-Zone, I'd buy that too.
    I agree. Heck, I've been batting around buying a Game.com since I saw an ad for RE back around '98.

I could see two screens being very useful for Zelda Wind Waker, especially as I found myself being annoyed more than a few times yesterday at the angles chosen for me by the machine. I could see this being useful for seeing things from another angle, good in puzzles or atmospheric shooters like Gain Ground (sort of).

I can't see any of these ideas working, though, with one screen OVER the other. Nope. The screens are too tall for the thing to sit right; it'll be top heavy.

Now it's nice to know they've got some better cartridge technology, but that should filter over to the GBA as well. What we're looking at here is not the machine that will bring many compelling game concepts to life.

As for the idea that this would be a good place to put text, codecs, or inventory management (a step up, for sure)...that is stupid and even considering the fact that Nintendo is working on this machine, they're not so dumb as to think that a screen for text or simple stats is going to add significantly to the game experience. I could see a little fold-out window for that, but I cannot imagine how you'd justify the expense of a whole other screen just so you can put text on there. Some games might...but their killer app better not do it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No. One killer game isn't enough. Maybe three or four 'must-have' games can make me buy it but I doubt that the first games will be really good.

Hell! I don't know if this console will see the light of the day or if it is just something to distract the public from the PSP.
    ♪ well, you've gotta be crazy, baby to want a guy like me
    yeah, you've gotta be out of your mind
    Crazy! ♪

http://www.panzerdragoon.net/ - Nice place for Dragon Riders!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

A killer app doesnt really matter for me. I will buy this system no matter what. I may not get it the day it comes out, but i will eventually own one, it being a nintendo system and all.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

I may buy the games, if I feel that I won't be able to get them "complete" later, or get the boxes and manuals that people bring back to Gamestop when they trade games in etc.

I probably won't be buying it when it comes out (money is going to the competition next release) I'll get it eventually....when the price goes down or if I find a used one for a great deal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I have to side with DrJustinRamone's thoughts about this. If Nintendo releases a launch game that plays like a dream and suits the DS perfectly, I say let the money fly and let the good times roll. Of course, it would have to match up to Super Mario 64, The Legend of Zelda: LttP/OoT, etc.

Oh, and it seems some of you are worried about the dual screens being used ineffectively. According to this interview, both screens can be used as one... But, I'm not sure how well it would work out.