Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Versus Books Strategy Guides Help Wanted

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know this probably doesn't help much, but I found a scan of the cover of the FFVII guide. It doesn't include the spine unfortunately.

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff7/...da/ffcovlg.jpg

Also, I'm not sure if this is an official guide that should make the list, but I found some limited information on a "Super Mario 64 Survival Guide" that was published by Versus Books (although it's not shown on the cover that I can see).

http://www.classicgaming.com/tmk/mania/mags.shtml (in the Other Mags Section)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreams: Thank You for the links. The cover is similar to vol 5 metal gear solid, therefore ff7 is probably 2 or 3

The Super Mario 64 survival guide is actually put out by Sandwich Island Publishing. They did other books in the "survival guide" series.

EndlessChris: Please check around page 2. See if the page that says Staff: Versus books and check if the volume is listed there. Also please check if somewhwhere around there it says : Copywrite 199_ Empire 21 Publishing, Inc. If you find this, let me know what the year is. And last, please let me know if there are any advertisements for other guides in the back of the book. My vol 5 MGS (1998) lists 4 guides : FF7, Tekken 3, RE 2 and MGS. That there shows me I am also missing Tekken 3 in my list. since I know RE2 is vol 4 and MGS is vol 5, and I know what vol6-10 are, FF7 and Tekken 3 are either vol 2 or 3. I just need to figure out one of them.

Sisko: Anyone who wants to talk strategy guides or has a question is OK with me in this thread. I am even interested if /how many of the older Versus guides still have their poster still in them.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Whoa, whoa, back up the phone and hold the horses a second. There's a Grandia II strategy guide written specifically for the Dreamcast? I just have the PS2 version of the guide. Are there any differences between the two? Am I going to read about hidden locations in the Playstation 2 version that simply don't exist in the Dreamcast game?

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have physically sited both versions of the Versus Grandia II strategy guides but do not own either at this time, so I can not tell you what any differences are in them. They were released about one year apart (2000 and 2001). (Also I don't have either versions of the game.)

According to reviews for the PS2 version, They just ported the dreamcast version over with a slight improvement in the graphics and added cutscenes. Therefore the strategy guides should be very similiar. I suppose they put out a new PS2 version because they did not put a large quantity for the DC version and there would be a lot more copies of the PS2 game available. I do know the cover was changed to match the PS2 version art.

Anyone else have any input?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the first few pages are missing, so again, no dice. The guides offered in the back are Street Fighter Alpha 2, Tekken 3 and Final Fantasy VII. Also mentioned is a "Coming Soon," Versus Magazine.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thank You for checking. This does confirm FF7 is vol 2 or 3. Maybe someone else has FF7 or Tekken 3 and can check them. Maybe I will have to get the UPCs to help figure things out.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

edited the two lists. Added Tekken 3 (arcade)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

FFVII is 2.

I looked up one that was being sold on ebay and asked the seller what number was on the spine.

I feel kind of guilty though. The auction is a BIN only with a BIN of $130. He probably thinks now that someone is interested in buying it for that much.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

tekken tag tournament is #18
    pokemon trading card game is #11

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dug mine out and FFVII is volume 2 Copyright 1997 Empire 21 Publishing, Inc.
    The Ad in the back is for Tekken3 and for Street Fighter Alpha 2 and the order form has space for only those 3 games. On the back however is an ad for the Versus video game strategy magazine comming soon in 1998??? I don't remember a magazine. Was there ever one or did they just stick to making guides?

Looking at the ad in the back again it says "Also still available" for the Streegt Fighter Alpha 2 so I think it's safe to assume that it was volume 1 considering this ad is in volume 2

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

edited the two lists:

Final Fantasy is volume 2
    Tekken 3 is volume 3 (unconfirmed)
    Tekken Tag Tournament is volume 11
    Pokemon Trading Card Game is volume 18

That leaves the remaining few questions:

What is volume 34 ?
    Can anyone confirm volume 38 is Star Wars Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast for the PC ?
    What is volume 48 ?

dreams: Thank You for the info on Final Fantasy Vii. I do not feel right in checking on an auction lot I was not going to bid on, but it was nice of the person to check.

nesman85: Thank you for info on vol 11 and 18.

wisekraker: Thank you for the info from Final Fantasy VII. I was pretty sure the Street Fighter book was volume 1 because it has a forward in it stating this was the first book from this then new company.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RichD
    dreams: Thank You for the info on Final Fantasy Vii. I do not feel right in checking on an auction lot I was not going to bid on, but it was nice of the person to check.
    No worries. I ended up having a nice conversation with the gentleman and I was able to answer some of his questions as well, so it was a nice win-win situation.

EDIT:

Courtesy of the wayback machine (http://web.archive.org), I'm pretty sure Tekken Tag is indeed #3.

Also, digging through the archives, unfortunately there's not a lot of information still there. I found a page where they had cover scans of coming soon books but unfortunately the images didn't load. Looking at the properties of the pictures, I determined that two of them were Mario Advance (scheduled release date 06/11/01) and GT3 (scheduled release date 06/15/01). The first one with a release date of 06/07/01 has a title of "tobcover.gif." I'm not sure what that one was supposed to be. Same thing with the last one. It has a release date of September 2001 and is called RLHCover.gif." I don't know if that helps at all. It seems like one of them may be in the right time period to be #34.

I do believe however that I know what #48 may be. I think it is Lord of the Rings as indicated by this page. Looks like it fits.

As a side note, it looks like they were planning on doing (maybe they did, I'm not sure) Dark Cloud 2, The Getaway, and Condition Zero as well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ManekiNeko: (and anyone else interested) The two strategy guides for Grandia II are about 98.5% identical. They have the following differences:

Covers have different pictures, back cover identical except background color same as front color.

The copywrite info was changed inside front cover.

On page 102, the DCversion starts with ads, in the PS2 version pg 102 has a character sketch.

The advertisements in back were different

All other pages including table of contents and all but the sketch on page 102 were identical with the same exact words and pictures and exactly layed out the same. I do not know what the posters are, but I can guess they were the same as the cover.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dreams: Thank you for the tips. I have a copy of the versus page showing "all" the guides they released before the site went down. It did not list the early volumes and had the gaps I am trying to fill now.

Super Mario Advance is volume 26 and GT3 is volume 28. About 80%+ of the guides I have sited in the last 3 years and I am trying to fill in the last holes. Some guides are very rarely mentioned anywhere on the net.

Here is the following educated guesses:

Volume 34 is probably Rayman 3 (advertised in vol 35)

Volume 48 is probably Lord of the Rings as mentioned on their website. Due to it being near the end (vol 52) it may have been delayed and then not released.

Those last 3 guides mentioned in their coming soon were not released as far as I can tell. When the Counter Strike guide came out, I think a different publishing company name was in it. I will check on this as it is still available at Gamestop. Also some older Versus guides have shown up at Gamestop with a $6.99 sticker on them. This leads me to believe that the warehouse of guides is being dumped. These dumped guides are also showing up at many web stores that sell strategy guides.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, it was bothering me not knowing what those two mystery books were so I did some research.

TOB is most likely Baldur's Gate II - Throne of Bhaal. It's already on the list so nothing new there.

RLH really intrigued me. I did a search for "video game RLH" and I turned up a PS2 game called Run Like Hell : Hunt or Be Hunted. I'm fairly positive this is what the guide was supposed to be on. Whether it was ever released is a different story. So there's another option for #34.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought I might start a subcollection of these, so I'm bumping the topic to find out if anyone knows for sure what 34 and 48 are.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From an eBay auction, #48 is LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring

LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FOLLOWSHIP OF THE RING STRATEGY GUIDE BY VERSUS BOOKS AND IS IN EXCELLENT CONDITION HAS POSTER INTACT. THIS ONE IS TRULY AN ODDITY AND EXTREMELY RARE THIS GUIDE WAS PRINTED BUT NEVER RELEASED THEY WERE ALL DESTROYED EXCEPT FOR A HANDFULL OF THEM. IF YOU CHECK THE ISBN NUMBER IN THIS GUIDE IT IS NOW BEING USED FOR ANOTHER VERSUS GUIDE MASSIVE ONLINE GAMING VOL.1. I HAVE TAKEN A PICTURE OF THE ISBN IN THIS GUIDE AND YOU CAN LOOK IT UP FOR YOURSELF.I OBTAINED THIS GUIDE FROM SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY WORKED IN THE FACTORY THAT MADE THE GUIDES AND HE TOLD ME THEY HAD TO DESTOY THEM ALL BECAUSE OF COPYRIGHT ISSUES. HE GOT OUT A TOTAL OF 15 COPIES SO YOU DRAW YOUR OWN CONCLUSIONS ON HOW RARE THIS GUIDE IS.I AM SELLING ALL OF MY VERSUS BOOK STRATEGY GUIDES AND I HAVE ALL OF THEM EXCEPT 3 OF THEM THERE ARE 52 IN ALL SO IF YOU COLLECT VERSUS BOOKS HERE IS YOUR CHANCE TO GET ALL OF THEM.
    So, yeah, assuming the guy is correct, it'll be almost impossible to find this one. Going to send an email and see if he knows what #34 is.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hope this isn't consider hi-jacking but I have a few Versus guides for sale or trade in my thread here : http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=76386
    mdk
    - not up to date yet

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just noticed something while digging through my books. It seems that there is a regular and a collectors edition version of Volume 6 (Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time). I'm not sure if this was mentioned anywhere in this thread. Here is a pic. The one on the right is the collectors edition.

mdk
    - not up to date yet

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First, a big thank you to all past and present who have helped with the list.

I have updated the alphabetical and vol number lists.

added vol 48 Lord of the Rings:Fellowship of the Ring
    added info to Zelda Ocarina of two different editions.
    Under vol 34 I put that it is possibly Rayman 3 based on advertisement in vol 35.

Question: What is the difference in the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time editions?