Page 1 of 38 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Playstation Rarity List (UPDATE 9/28/04)

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Playstation Rarity List (UPDATE 9/28/04)

Hey,

I updated the rarities and prices on my NTSC-U Playstation rarity guide, plus converted the entire guide to database format. It's in .pdf at http://people.bu.edu/cure/playstation.pdf. If possible, don't distribute the list, since it's more for us collectors than anything.

The list covers all 1278 (!) traditional Playstation releases, price, rarity (in C, U, R, ER format), greatest hits, longbox, collector's edition, "Top 50 PSX games" based on gamerankings.com compiled review scores, alternate cover art and interesting pack-ins (like the 3d glasses with Heart of Darkness). I also listed out the Lightspan titles that I've come across, as well as the "Box Sets" released so far.

For a true guide, with commentary, developer, foreign releases and the works, you'll have to wait for the guide that QoF is ably putting together here at DP. In the meantime, the guide I created lists 40 or so titles that haven't made it into the DP guide yet, plus more current rarities and prices in many cases, as well as the latest games that have gone GH.

The guide should be accurate in every way, down to the last colon on a subtitle or a "Disney" vs. "Disney's". If you notice anything even the smallest bit wrong, post here or PM me and I'll make sure to throw in an update. If any rarities seem strikingly off to you, let me know of those two.

This guide is based on real-world data plus 18 months of ebay tracking. While prices do swing wildly in rare cases, the rarities and nearly all prices should be quite accurate.

There are a few areas I'm still not clear on, many of which we need to figure out for the DP guide as well - Is there a "Banditos" version of Toy Story 2? Are there "WTC" and "no-WTC" versions of Spiderman 2? Is there a Spawn: the Eternal "chrome" cover variant? I'm also curious about the "Fighter's Edge" cover variants - I've listed a few games that have both regular covers and "Fighter's Edge" covers in their jewel case release. Are there any others that fit this pattern? Finally, I'm almost certain there are two or three more Lightspan titles - do you own any that I'm missing?

Thanks, peace,
    Cure

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Spiderman 2 WTC variation. I wanted to get this sorted out over the holidays but I overestimated the time I had. I have the the WTC issue. The walkthrough at gamefaqs points out some of the differences.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/f...er_man_2_a.txt

I can at the very least confirm the title of the last level on my version is On Top of the World. It takes place on the top of 2 very tall buildings that are very similar to the WTC.

From the walkthrough

Table O' Contents:

1: Comments
    2: How To Play
    3: Frequently Asked Questions
    4: Training levels
    5: Walkthrough:
    A: Enter The Web-head
    B: Burglary Interrupted
    C: Rooftops By Night
    D: Warehouse 66
    E: Spidey Vs. Shocker
    F: Smoke Screen
    G: Hangar 18
    H: Wind Tunnel (ver. 1 title: Crash Flight)
    I: To Catch A Thief
    J: In Darkest Night
    K: Heart Of Darkness
    L: Catch That Train
    M: Gangland
    N: Spidey Vs. Hammerhead
    O: Spidey In The Machine
    P: Mission: Spidey
    Q: The Corkscrew (ver. 1 title: Downward Spiral)
    R: Spidey Vs. Lizard
    S: The Gauntlet (ver. 1 title: Aces High)
    T: Spidey Vs. Sandman Again
    U: Konichi-wa, Spider-san
    V: Rock Of Ages
    W: Spidey Vs. Electro
    X: The Best Laid Plans (ver. 1 title: Top Of The World)

I've done my best to note changes between the original version of
    Spider-Man 2 (the pre-Sept. 11th version) and the version most widely
    available (the post-Sept. 11th version). There may be some minor
    details missing, but the only major change in any of the levels is in
    the final level (the Twin Towers are now a pair of buildings joined by
    a bridge). Everything else WILL work for you. For the record, the
    version I used to write this FAQ is version 2.

There are probably other references made but I didn't read the whole thing.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm psyched to see the list, but I'm gettin' the good ol' 404 on your link just now.
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bargora
    I'm psyched to see the list, but I'm gettin' the good ol' 404 on your link just now.

There's an extra period at the end of the link, I opened the link in another window and then just deleted the '.' and reloaded. Got it fine then.

Thanks for the list! I'm through my Sega CD and 3DO phases, now I'm in my Saturn phase so the PSX is next on the gaming front. I have tons of games but I never really got into too many PSX games except GT2 and DDR so your lists will be very helpful this year

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sweet, I've been waiting for this. I updated my "till the end of the line" list with the target games you had told me about, now I can use this to compare notes.

And there is a Chrome Spawn, as well as normal white cover one. As for cover variants, I started an excel file on that, haven't gotten back to it yet.

Jason

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the info. Dangerboy, could you post any cover variations you've noted that aren't already listed? I've noted quite a few of them, but I'm sure I'm missing at least a few.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This is the one I started for the Long Box varients, some LC variants at the bottom...hasn't been worked on in forever.

http://www.game-rave.com/gametitle/index.html

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very helpful list, was looking forword to an updated guide, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hey Kev,

I got a jump on updating my collection need list, and came across some additions to your guide:

------- Games:
    - "Blockids" By Natsume $9.99, only ever seen 2, was at Coconuts. I have one.

------- Values

- "Bass Rising" in box with controller complete goes for $75 on the average on Ebay. If it's sealed add about $20.

I'm going methodically and in alphabetical order, so I'll help out as much as I can. ^^

Those aside, frigging awesome guide/list. This is *exacttly* the type of list I was looking for. I *hate* having the descriptions, designers etc. Just gimmie the list and the rarity!

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

I've always wanted to know how many games were released for each system. But at about 1300 titles, that makes the PlayStation library third biggest behind the 2600 and Nintendo 8-bit, does'nt it?
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    I've always wanted to know how many games were released for each system. But at about 1300 titles, that makes the PlayStation library third biggest behind the 2600 and Nintendo 8-bit, does'nt it?
    Go to the Rarity Lists section and check out section three. The bonus section has a handy PDF graph with the number of games for each system. It doesn't include imports.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

No, it actually takes the prize. The lists page has a handy chart, and PSX beats NES by about 500 (as well as SNES and Genesis by about that amount), and 2600 by 700-800. I only think C64, if you count EVERYTHING, can beat it.

1st: PSX
    2nd: NES
    3rd: SNES/Genesis

Or am I missing a system in there?

dabe

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

congrats cure.... list will come in VERY handy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    No, it actually takes the prize. The lists page has a handy chart, and PSX beats NES by about 500 (as well as SNES and Genesis by about that amount), and 2600 by 700-800. I only think C64, if you count EVERYTHING, can beat it.

1st: PSX
    2nd: NES
    3rd: SNES/Genesis

Or am I missing a system in there?

dabe
    Well Dabe, (interesting spelling you have there!)

You are correct.

For clarification, #3 belongs to SNES, by a mere 17 titles.

Collecting for PSX sounds like having multiple, consecutive root canals.

AAAHHH!

Good luck!
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the call on Blockids - I just missed that one when I transferred the text list to Access. I have it listed as R/7 if you want to add it to your own list. The Star Wars Episode I cover variation is also now noted, as the Spawn variation.

You mean "Bass Landing" on the controller package right? I don't think Bass Rise was sold packaged.

From your website list: Street Fighter Alpha and Darkstalkers are listed as Fighters Edge. As far as I know, the longboxes of these are traditional covers, while the jewel cases are ALL fighter's edge covers. Do these games have jewel case versions without the Fighter's Edge, like Street Fighter Alpha 2 does? What do you mean by "lenticular" cover variations? What exactly is the WWF ITH variation? Lastly, do you have a photo you can grab of the BAT, Spyro 2 and Crash Team variations?

I'll go through the Longbox titles and add the ones also available in jewel case soon.

Perhaps it might be useful to list games that came with an extra demo disc/music disc in its normal release. If you see something like that (I know there are quite a few, none of which are noted) let me know and I"ll add it in.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kev,

Great job.

I would like to make one suggestion.

While you may already be intending on expanding your rarity scale, I would suggest that you consider it.

At present, there are only four ratings (C, U, R, ER), which makes it very hard to distinguish between some of the titles out there.

For example:

Batman Forever: The Arcade Game, Brain Dead 13, and Dragon Ball GT: Final Bout all share a rarity rating of ER. This is the same rating as the Lightspan games, which I would suggest are far rarer.

Perhaps a fifth (at least) designation is needed. I don't agree that Goal Storm or Psychic Detective are examples of the hardest titles to find for the system. Just my opinion.

Also, I forgot to ask. Are the prices based on complete games (case, inserts, disc, manual, etc.)?

Thanks - keep up the great work!

Steve
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hey Kev,

I *swear* to god I typed Bass Landing when I wrote that.

a. Darkstalkers I know for sure has a Non FE cover. SF Alpha, I'm not so sure about.

b. Lenticular is the term used for those nifty pictures that have a plastic coating on them, and when you tilt the picture, it changes/animates. The listed games had both lenticular inserts that went in front of the regular manual, and in JP's case, the actual jewel case was molded with the plastic coating shape so that the regular manual (with the ever so subtle printing trick) would have the same effect.

If you've ever opened a brand new Rygar or Dead or Alive: Xtreme Beach Volleyball, they had them inside the case. See also Gold Edition of Majora's Mask cartridge/Zelda Boxes.

c. The WWF....oh! Pay no attention to that...I was starting to keep track of insert / back cover variations, but then came back to my sanity.

d. WIll try and grab the pics ASAP....need to find them in the stacks first, and if I have them. BAT "NFR" I know I don't have, but have seen it several times at my local Game Crazy.

e. As for the extra rating idea, I've always wanted a slightly more honest one that includes the ratings of "Obscure" and "In Demand". Some games just aren't rare, it's just that they're all taken up.

Breakfast and work call.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

So PSX has the largest library now, huh? And they are STILL releasing games for it, and probaly will at least till Christmas!

Someday, someone is going to assemble a complete collection and I'd offer my first born to meet that person and see it.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think my rating system is along those lines, Jason. Like Final Fantasy Origins, for instance. Hugely common, despite the costs. I do know what you mean, though; Mario 64, for instance, is amazingly hard to find for a game that sold five million copies. One more question for now - for those lenticular covered games, are any of them available without the lenticular cover? I've only seen those three games in the lenticular style.

Orrimarrko, I think the DP guide will have the expanded rarity scale you're looking for. I chose to use only four ratings because I want the list to be accurate rather than comprehensive. That is, from tracking ebay sales and my own extensive local buying, I have a decent idea what games are common, uncommon, rare and really hard to find. In order to break the scale down further and still be accurate, I think I'd want a much larger sample size, which is what DP's guide goes for by having multiple inputs. That said, my sample isn't huge, so if you and a few others agree that these games shouldn't be ER (which it's possible they shouldn't be), just let me know and I'll update the ratings. PS: The prices are based on complete games with discs in good condition. There's no excuse for games being incomplete on a CD system.

As for Goal Storm and Pyschic Detective, those are right on the border of R/ER. I've seen Goal Storm once and Pyschic Detective never. A quick check online seems to confirm the rarity: There has been one, disc-only copy of Goal Storm sold in the last 3 weeks, and there are three copies available on half.com. Psychic Detective has had three sold on ebay the last three weeks (more than normal), and there is one available on half.com. As for Lightspan, I think we might be overestimating their rarity. Assume that each school with Lightspan gets 30 packages of discs (probably a low estimate) and that 200 schools used Lightspan (also, I think, fairly low). That would give you 6000 copies of each of these games. Now, they're not seen in the wild now, and may become quite rare as schools simply throw them out down the line, but they're not *tremendously* rare.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

Heres the correct like to help some of you out

http://people.bu.edu/cure/playstation.pdf

Very, nice. Great work.