Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kevin Bachus joins Infinium Labs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    And what's wrong with getting your physical copy -- the EAXCT same thing that you buy in stores now -- in the mail a few days AFTER you buy it? For no extra cost (if the companies are smart)? That way you could start to play it NOW and get your hard backup soon.
    That would totally kill any profits they hope to achieve.

This is nothing, by the way - eventually, even console hardware (as we think of it, a box you set somewhere) is going to disappear. Games going to download only? Not that big, really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Ask anyone who bought a Divx player how they feel about the idea.

What if all this instant download software requires talking back to the server to run. And what happens the day the server goes down? What happens if your Phantom dies and you buy a new one -- do they take your word that you paid for all that software and let you redownload it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    What if all this instant download software requires talking back to the server to run. And what happens the day the server goes down? What happens if your Phantom dies and you buy a new one -- do they take your word that you paid for all that software and let you redownload it?
    The Phantom won't need (shouldn't, anyway, as they've got expoxy on the ROMs) to communicate with a server to start up, or to play a single-player game. However, I can totally see where you're going with this. A bad day on the network would be a bad day for the Phantom, and if the system ever went down...well, it'd be like Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast :/

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Kevin Bachus joins Infinium Labs

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    Aaah, good ol' Bachus, pulling a Yokoi and quitting MS after his own "Virtual Boy," the XBox. Except where Yokoi went on to create the WonderSwan, Bachus is going to work on the Phantom...er, I suppose the machine potentially has a bright future, but from what I can tell he's going to be very busy trying to salvage this situation ("Reader Rabbit" is bad press, really, and their website STILL has it showing up in the titles list...sigh :/)

From what I was told, Bachus didn't quit Microsoft, he was canned.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJustinRamone
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone Who Didn't Think, Apparently in a Fanboy Haze
    Aaah, good ol' Bachus, pulling a Yokoi and quitting MS after his own "Virtual Boy," the XBox.
    That's right, despite having about 300 more titles, a year and a half longer lifespan (and running) and millions of units sold to date, the Xbox is a failure just like the Virtual Boy. Don't be such a dumbass.
    Ooo. What a scorcher. All I ask before this topic is locked is that someone tell me who this guy is. I *swear* he played football in the past.

dave
    Whats wrong with playing football in the past?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't like this Phantom idea at all, and I'm hoping it's really not going to happen. What's the point of having a console without a nice stack of games next to it on your coffee table while you and your friends are playing it? It may be more convient to download games, but it just isn't the same to me. it's fun going to a store and finding a good deal on a game you want and being filled with the anticipation of playing it on the way home. It won't even be collectible after it's run, how will you get games for it?

Oh yeah, and it's supposed to appeal to people with yearly incomes of $50,000 dollars, not us regular guys. That bothers me too. I can't see a heart in a console aimed to be a rich person's toy.

I'll stick to my Nintendos and Segas and Playstations, thank you. And if this really is the future of gaming, well, I'll just remain a retro gamer for life.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let's visit the Land of Make Believe and pretend this thing is real and sees the light of day.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't thing just a PC without without a keyboard and cd-rom drive?

It would seem only logical that this thing would be incredibly easy to hack (by people who know how to do such things), attach external drives, keyboard, load a browser, and load any games you want (bought from the store) onto the hard drive.

This would be great news for the classic gaming clan since when this thing tanks you'll be able to pick up a slick gaming machine dirt cheap and play whatever PC titles you want on it. Doom 3 is going to look a lot better on this thing than on a console.

/Return from the Land of Make Believe

-Cav

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    And what's wrong with getting your physical copy -- the EAXCT same thing that you buy in stores now -- in the mail a few days AFTER you buy it? For no extra cost (if the companies are smart)? That way you could start to play it NOW and get your hard backup soon.
    This system will only become popular once broadband becomes widely available in all areas of the country. With things in America being as spread out as they are, I think this is pretty unlikely within the next 5-10 years.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Thanks, I thought I said that allready.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion