Strawberry (Level 2) LazingBlazers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PartsJohn

Quote Originally Posted by nesuser2
    got that reply a little bit late. Is it any different than the gold one that I just ripped apart?
    It's black.

I can tell you no more.

It's got the same model number, and it was made for the Toaster NES. This is all I know. If you want to grab a ruler, we can compare measurements on the board width at the widest part. Other than that... if you don't want it, it's probably going in the garbage.

EDIT*** I should also add that I don't, nor have I ever owned a Gold Game Genie. My childhood friend Bret had one that I used at his house back in probably 1992, so obviously my memories a little vague. I honestly never really got a kick out of cheating.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

bring back the battlezone

yaaaaaarrrrrrrrr

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well i'm sorry i didn't see any screws on mine so i did it the hard way.. i tore off the lables but all that was left was a white stuff stuck to the gs so i really didn't know there was screws.. i found out after cutting away at those 4 places though..

Yeah i found out that the capacitors when inserted face the back and tehy are on the left

the gold game genie should be the same thing as the black one.. i just tore apart a black one cause i like my gold one and didn't want to trash it.. the golds woren off in places but it's still nice..

I only ran it once but it seemed to work.. i used Ikari warriors and tested inf. lives and that worked so im assuming all is well. I'm just going to leave the gs in the toploader cause why remove it? if i don't want to cheat just don't put in any codes and press start..

I just printed up some codes for kid icarus and goonies 2.. so i'm gonna have some fun.. unfortunetly i'm not sure if i should try to use the inf lives cheat on Zelda 2 cause the last time i cheated on it, it erased my saved game.. so i really don't know if i should or not.. i'm at the last level and really don't want to have to go through allthat again.. I was thinking of boy and his blob codes to print out but then again i remembered how unbelievebly long that game was and probly isn't worth it.. i got a mega man 2 or something in my room somewher i just gotta find it..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

double post sorry edited it..

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah it looks like the game genie when stripped down should fit but in all honesty you gotta REALLY FORCE IT IN.. theres no easy way to do it.. mine i had to get one corner in then i just pressed down really hard for a minute and finally had the other side in.. At this time i didn't know if it was facing the right way so i plugged in a game and tested it and i got a blue screen then immediatly the GG screen pressed start and it worked.

Actually when i put the codes in the second time i saw a blue screen again for a sec then the gg screen so i think the blue screen will always show up but no matter you barely see it anyways I'm just glad it fit finally.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now that i'm thinking about what has happened perhaps the GG itself will fit into the cartridge slot without taking it apart.. all i did when i got it down to the board was push really really hard on it to get it to go down.. perhaps thats all someone needed to do in the firstplace and really didn't have to disassemble it.. well its just an after thought.. but then again.. who knows.. i can't try cause mines already in the slot and i'm not gonna remove it lol..

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great. Fine. Please stop the hourly updates. If you have a question or concern, share that instead. Thank you.

And shouldn't this be moved to the Restoration Forum? It *is* a repair/tinkering with hardware thread at this point.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Quote Originally Posted by Sniderman
    Great. Fine. Please stop the hourly updates. If you have a question or concern, share that instead. Thank you.

And shouldn't this be moved to the Restoration Forum? It *is* a repair/tinkering with hardware thread at this point.
    how about splitting it instead?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

edited

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I will lock this at the slightest provocation.

Exchange of useful technical info only please.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Techy info ahoy!

The card edge connector of the top loader was not meant to receive something as thick as the game genie. I daresay our resident dinobot has ruined his console or at the least crippled it's capability of ever playing a regular NES cart again. Out of curiousity I'd like to hear the results of him removing the game genie. Maybe the plastic of the cart port is cracked. Dunno.

Here are my thoughts on a solution-

Take a game genie and splice it to an early, common NES cart that has a full set of pins on its card edge. Something like SMB or Gyromite. It would be a matter of soldering wires from the card edge of the GG to the respective pins of the NES cart- also, removing the rom chips from aforementioned circuit board so the original game doesn't interfere.

I imagine the end result wouldn't be very pretty, but am pretty sure it'd work.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

TECH INFO UPDATE FOR REALS THIS TIME

Contrary to what was stated above.. plugging in the game genie did not hurt my toploader nes.. i unplugged it and tried 10 different games and it works fine.. sounds fine so is video.. no lines either..

well at least i've seen no trouble signs in the 10 games i tried including gyromite