Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Video Game Urban Legends

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Crap.....I guess now I have no excuse for not actually DOING it then.....

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A friend of mine swore - SWORE - that in the last scene of Dragon's Lair, when Dirk is unlocking Daphne's Prison Bubble, if you hit the "Sword" button, Dirk would break the key, the dragon was resurrected, and Dirk would be eaten - Game Over. He swore he did it a few times too.

This never made it as a global videogame rumor, but everyone in town had heard it and knew it. Thing is, once someone got to the Dragon's Lair final scene, no one wanted to "commit suicide " at the end, so no one ever proved or disproved this tale.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default General Leo

i'm not sure if this is part of the rumor, but...

long ago, while playing FF3 on the snes, i was fighting in the lair beneath figaro where you come upon raiden and so forth. i think it was in the earthy cave part of the dungeon and not the ruins. i was trying to perfect relm's fake mustache technique and somehow right around that moment something weird happened and one of my characters was turned into general leo. i think he even did his sword's special movie once before i freaked out and reset the game. i've heard this can only happen on the snes version, and not the playstation edition.

Banana (Level 7) pragmatic insanester's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default also

is there any weird outcome or secret involving zigfried on either the phantom train where he steals the item from sabin/cyan and his appearance at the coliseum?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I've heard there are some pretty crazy bugs associated with Realm's Sketch ability.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

when the atari VCS was about, I saw the games listed as

invaders 112 Games and thought that once you played the game 112 times the cartridge ran out you had to buy another one
    http://www.videopac.org The Worlds only dedicated Videopac & Odyssey 2 forums.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyT
    Everyones forgetting the major urban legend of 2002:

Sonic and Tails in SSB:M

Also, I heard of a version of Super Smash Brothers exists on the Super Famicon. Is that true?
    I read about that cheat in an issue of EGM, but it just turned out to be an April fools joke.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

During the holiday season of 2001, i was playing Sonic Adventure 2 for Dreamcast and when i pressed start a tiny box appeared in the middle of the screen that said "Suffering from a stuffed nose?"

True story, i am not kidding.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm adding another one to Super Mario Bros.
    There is a Rainbow world, where Mario slides down rainbows. In between the rainbows are Beetles. :/

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One that is just laughable is that there was a prototype of Taz called, "Zat" or Taz in reverse. The surprise is last, everything is in reverse order, and it gets easier as you go along.

I didn't believe the rumors about Final Fight where in the end, Guy beats the crap out of Cody as they walk away, because he is jealous of him and Jessica. That is, until I saw it for myself!
    Everything is yellow to a jaundiced eye.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My god everyone has to remeber that at least one of there brain dead friends could "jump the flag pole" in SMB 1 right !! Oh my how many people tried to show me over and over, Boy did they shit there pants when I showed them my FAMICOM Mario 2 and that you actually could jump the flag in that game but sertainly not in Mario 1. Funny how the impossible always makes the attention savy make shit up eh?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

sadly when i was in middle school I believed that in the new zelda game for the super cool new nintendo 64 there was going to be not a triforce but *dun dun dun* a QUADFORCE!

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Quote Originally Posted by Doonzmore
    During the holiday season of 2001, i was playing Sonic Adventure 2 for Dreamcast and when i pressed start a tiny box appeared in the middle of the screen that said "Suffering from a stuffed nose?"

True story, i am not kidding.
    I'd believe this, Sonic Adventure games have content that changes near certain holidays, so do a few other Dreamcast games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by long_shawn_silver
    My god everyone has to remeber that at least one of there brain dead friends could "jump the flag pole" in SMB 1 right !! Oh my how many people tried to show me over and over, Boy did they shit there pants when I showed them my FAMICOM Mario 2 and that you actually could jump the flag in that game but sertainly not in Mario 1. Funny how the impossible always makes the attention savy make shit up eh?
    I'm not sure if I understood your post right: do you mean over-jump the flag pole and play on until time ran out? That's actually possible on SMB 1. I did this several times.
    http://www.discogs.com/user/Tatsu>My vinyl and CD collection

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I always wondered what color smurfette's nipples were.
    Purple Nurples!

Anyway, for SMB there are sctualy tons and tons of levels you can unlock with a game genie, some of them minus worlds. I heard there may be one or 2 more that you can unlock without GG., but that could be --surprise, urban legend.

As for the PC Engine Hu card of Dracula X, I was under the impression this was true. I vaguely remember that it didn't have the CD music that would have taken far too much memory. I heard there were like 2, not 6, but whatever.

Flack, about the ET landfill thing, you mentioned that you thought this was true, and not urban legend. But remember, just because it's urban legend, doesn't always mean it is false.

Luigi in Mario 64....he was supposed to be in there and you can find him by disecting some of the code in the game, but he is not unlockable and was thrown away...he is in the cart though, it just takes some hacking, as I remember it.

The Metroid Secret Worlds are clearly explained, documented and mapped on the Metroid Database: http://www.classicgaming.com/mdb/m1/index.htm
    They are glitches and are actually in more than one Metroid game.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default heck yeah I remember the nude fatalities in MK

I never played MK myself (anything with more than 1 button and a joystick isn't really my speed), but I used to watch people play it all the time and, yes, they would try to get a nude fatality. Never did. I think it may have been MK2, but it was definitely BS. I was thinking of this the other day after reading the joyshtick column about Dragon's Lair and The Naked Princess.
    I think the best video game urban legend would be that a bunch of '80s programmers became MTF transsexuals.
    Oh, wait. That's true....

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One more thing I just remembered about MK. Remember Jade in MK II? I remember fighting her in the arcade and it said, "Now Prepare to Fight an Undiscovered Warrior from MK I!"

Also, one of the characters' friendship said, "I've never seen a Kano transformation."

I also knew several people who said that the game allowed you to feed your opponent to the tree with a mouth, but I personally never saw that move. They said also that every level in MK 2 had a fatality, from the Tower to the Pit to the Armory, where allegedly you would pick up a sword or axe and use it to finish you opponent.
    Everything is yellow to a jaundiced eye.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My brother and I always swore there was a way to "beat" Astrosmash. I can't remember what we thought would happen.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Video Game Urban Legends

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    There isn't a better gaming urban legend than Polybius
    Damn, it's too bad this was a hoax... I'd love to give it a try. Any game that could give you amnesia and horrible nightmares must be one hell of a game!

There were always tons of stupid rumors going around my high school about the Mortal Kombat games... everyone coming up with ridiculous combinations that were supposed to trigger the Kano transformation and what not.

--Zero
    OMFG!!! POLYBUIS IZ A HOAX?!?!? that sux!

anyways, I always heard rumors about naked chicks in games when i was around 12; stupid hormones :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Red Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by § Gideon §
    There's also the urban legend about one of the woman fighters in Killer Instinct 64. For a taunt, she pulls back her shirt and faces her opponent, bearing all. The player, of course, only sees the back of her.

... Well, I've never even played the crappy game, personally. Who knows? Maybe the urban legend is actually true.
    I dunno about the N64 version of the game, but in the Super NES and arcade versions of Killer Instinct, Orchid has a finishing move where she unzips her shirt and flashes her opponent. His eyes then bug out and then he falls over dead. It's rather humorous.

So yeah, at least in the original game, that's entirely true. I've done it many many times. My brother and I used to laugh at it all the time years ago. Like I said before tho, I can't remember if it's in the N64 version or not.
    Yeah, but isn't there a stage with mirrors in it in KI1? If so, do you see a reflection of what's going on with Orchid's fatality?