Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polybius

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think I'll be visiting Coinop.org anymore...actually, I never have gone there in the first place, but if anybody brings it up...

I can't believe that description is anything but somebody's lame attempt at creating an urban legend. Really a shame. Also, the top comment in the scrolling text box...uh...detailed, but still horribly wrong. o_O

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SCREEN SHOTS of POLYBIUS
    VIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK

x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x x_x
    neotokeo2001

http://neoclassicgames.blogspot.com/
    Atari 2600 Limited Editions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't look at this in a dark room:

neotokeo2001

http://neoclassicgames.blogspot.com/
    Atari 2600 Limited Editions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I love the fake "MIND CONTROL ACTIVATED" MSKludged onto one of the frames in that first animation...looks like the font on most monitors' setting screens :D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

It mind controlled me so much it made me think the score in E.T. was going backwards.

If just because I didn't see something in the 80's means it doesn't exist, you can go ahead and wipe six continents and 49 other states off the map.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The only problem with that is those other continents and states surely exist. There's no debate there. The premise you're working off of -- that people who are serious and trustworthy have confirmed the existance of those other states and continents, and that similarly serious people looked into this Polybius rumor -- doesn't quite seem to hold true with Polybius, looking at how Coinop.org presents the issue.

I'll take a mountain of evidence over some "the CIA had this videogame" foolishness any day. Doesn't mean the game is inexistant...but a true Tempest game? Nonsense. Even better...a tool of the CIA? Heh heh.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by zmweasel
    You're putting WAY too much thought into this, as do most conspiracy theorists. Some dude with too much time on his hands came up with an amusing story, and it blossomed from there.
    That's what they want you to think! For all we know, everyone who really did play it got amnesia and forgot it, and the military collected and destroyed all the existing machines!

I'm just kidding, I'm not THAT paranoid. :P

Quote Originally Posted by petewhitley
    Additionally, the technology (of psychology, not processing power) to produce a "game" with these supposed effects is unheard of, even today. Such a machine would be revolutionary in the field.
    Not necessarily... if flashing lights can give people seizures, it wouldn't surprise me if there were SOME way to stick post-hypnotic suggestions into a video game. Especially using goofy video hardware. If a hypnotist can put people in a trance, then I don't see why a computer couldn't do the same thing (Although if it were possible, you'd think there would be some "hynosis stop smoking" computer programs out there).

Plus, there's no indication that it's entirely done with video hardware. There could always be extra stuff inside the machine that fires microwaves or EM pulses at your head or something.

Even if it's fake, I'd love to find out this thing was real someday. I'd play it.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    Not necessarily... if flashing lights can give people seizures, it wouldn't surprise me if there were SOME way to stick post-hypnotic suggestions into a video game.
    There's a difference between the sensory overload effect of a flashbang going off in your face ("the human equivalent of the little timer on your computer turning around"), and actually STICKING (note: sticking means that they Stick) ideas in your head. A flashbang goes off and your brain has to think about what it just saw. Most everything you ever see gets thrown out as a matter of course, but like the possum in the car lights, your mind isn't used to that much information all at once. We aren't prepared to deal with everything the universe has to offer.

We sure as hell don't remember everything we see. Now, buying into lies and BS from The Establishment, yeah, that's one thing...but you have to remember that's at the end of a conscious process.

Especially using goofy video hardware.
    I've got a Genesis 3, I can't do anything like this. You wanna try? I'll sell it to you, REAL CHEAP >)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Additionally, the technology (of psychology, not processing power) to produce a "game" with these supposed effects is unheard of, even today. Such a machine would be revolutionary in the field.
    Not necessarily... if flashing lights can give people seizures, it wouldn't surprise me if there were SOME way to stick post-hypnotic suggestions into a video game. Especially using goofy video hardware. If a hypnotist can put people in a trance, then I don't see why a computer couldn't do the same thing (Although if it were possible, you'd think there would be some "hynosis stop smoking" computer programs out there).

Plus, there's no indication that it's entirely done with video hardware. There could always be extra stuff inside the machine that fires microwaves or EM pulses at your head or something.

Even if it's fake, I'd love to find out this thing was real someday. I'd play it.

--Zero
    As someone working/degreed/licensed in the field of psychology, I can say that in all of my studies and real-world experience I've never encountered anything which would indicate it's possible. Could post-hypnotic suggestions be in a game? Sure. But who hypnotized the subjects in the first place? Certainly not the machine. It just doesn't work that way. As you said, if this were so you'd have successful computer programs to help us quit smoking, lose weight, etc. And you need to understand that hypnosis in general is still a very fringe form of psychology, relatively underdeveloped, and not widely accepted as useful or even effective (though I myself think it serves some purpose). Were this technology possible, the government would put it to work for far more sinister uses than fooling around with young video-gamers.
    Just my educated opinion.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

N/A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Second that. I thought the whole issue was cleared up two (maybe three?) decades ago, but somebody's always gotta be kicking that one around.

Until then, This is as close as we get to subliminal messages in advertising.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    A flashbang goes off and your brain has to think about what it just saw.
    Perhaps the trick is to confuse our brain, and then sneak in the "commands" while it's not paying attention. Like while the game is going, flash a message in the opposite corner of the screen for 1/60th of a second... since you weren't even looking right at it, you might not even notice it... but after seeing it enough times, maybe it might have an effect. Like you said, the mind throws things out as a matter of fact. Perhaps you can "slip one by the goalie" and get it to stick in your head without your brain consciously acknowledging it. If people can repress memories without realizing it, then there's probably some way to do mind control properly (I keep thinking of the "Somebody Else's Problem" fields used in The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy...)

I'm not saying this would work, or that it's actively being used... but who knows?

Could post-hypnotic suggestions be in a game? Sure. But who hypnotized the subjects in the first place? Certainly not the machine. It just doesn't work that way.
    Why not? I really don't know anything about hypnosis... I've never experienced it (A friend of mine was hypnotized once, and her explanation of it was extremely confusing... my uncle was also hypnotized to stop smoking many years ago, and it's worked perfectly so far), only seen it's effects on other people. But it would seem to me that if you could program the proper video and audio aids, you should be able to get a computer to do the same thing, right? If there is some special trick that actually requires a person to be there to do the hypnotizing, then I'm certainly not aware of it.

As you said, if this were so you'd have successful computer programs to help us quit smoking, lose weight, etc.
    Considering the whole "conspiracy theory" content of this thread, I think it's worthwhile to propose that the tobacco companies and McDonalds are actively suppressing such programs

I think you'd have a hard time getting people to submit to a computer hypnosis routine anyways... advertisers would just orgasm in their pants at the possibilities. And here I thought Flash ad banners were annoying...

Were this technology possible, the government would put it to work for far more sinister uses than fooling around with young video-gamers.
    Perhaps they already are, and we just aren't aware of it. Maybe Polybius was just a trial run to make sure to get the mind control stuff working properly before a mass deployment could be done. Y'know, work out the kinks (horrible nightmares would seem like a pretty big kink).

I'm not some tinfoil-hat kind of guy here... I'm sure Polybius WAS just a hoax, and I see very little reason for the government to brainwash us (and if they are, I would think they would have done a better job about it). I just feel like we can never really be 100% sure that the obvious answer is always the correct one, and I like to argue the losing side of things sometimes

--Zero

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BHvrd
    Polybius was not and is not real.

-- Z
    Can you prove this?

ummm....that's not possible....you can't prove something doesn't exist.

-Cav

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Why would the government want to recruit fat kids hanging out in arcades anyway?

I can see it now. Some kid walks into NORAD headquarters, a'la Wargames. On the screen a nuclear war is taking place, represented by icons of planes, submarines, and missles. The crowd is silent as he makes his way towards the massive screens in front of him. As he reaches the screen, he shoves his hand into his pocket and pulls out a shiny new quarter, which he then leans up against the screen on the little plastic railing. "I call next game," he says.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro
    A flashbang goes off and your brain has to think about what it just saw.
    Perhaps the trick is to confuse our brain, and then sneak in the "commands" while it's not paying attention.
    You can't "sneak in commands." This was a topic of debate and research in the 1970s...nothing came of it.

Unless the government and corporations have really wanted nothing more than to make me (and many others) to hate them all along, I don't think "subliminal messages" are possible. There was a row recently over a Republican commercial where the word "Democrats" zoomed off the screen so a part of the word ("rats") was visible for a frame or two...it was mostly a bit funny and/or tasteless.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default df

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/roundup.asp

That's a link to snopes.com's site on this. For those not in the know, Snopes is THE authority on urban legends online.

You are under my power, give me all your NWC carts. NOW, BITCH!

-ROb
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    "I call next game," he says.
    ... he proceeds to take over the rest of the world (destroying much of it in the process), and enters his initials as "ASS" on the high score list.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like to get into discussions even if I am completely wrong.

Sure, I have insanely bad English skills (hell, I didn't even know what skeptical meant), but you know, I go to college for computers, not writing.

I was simply trying to think of ways that it could have possibly existed for the sake of argument, but from the rumors of what type of game it was (which I was dumb enough to not even pay attention to), my argument is pretty much completely flawed.

You seemed a little frusterated at me. I know I haven't gotten into discussions like this before, but just for the record dude, 99% of the time I like to argue from the other side just to see how much sense it makes.

Do I think that Polybius really exists? Of course I think its a hoax, and a funny one at that. It reminds me of when the Blair Witch Project came out and I had friends that thought the commercials were real and that the story was real.

Some hoaxes are just fun to dispute even if we both agree.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game was weird looking, kind of abstract, fast action with some puzzle elements, the kids who played it stopped playing games entirely, one of them became a big anti videogame crusader or something.
    Sen. Lieberman?

The US government have nothing to do with it. Blame the aliens, the aliens!!
    ♪ well, you've gotta be crazy, baby to want a guy like me
    yeah, you've gotta be out of your mind
    Crazy! ♪

http://www.panzerdragoon.net/ - Nice place for Dragon Riders!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Has anyone interested in Polybius ever seen the movie "Strange Brew"? Part of the plot involves a beer company putting an arcade game in the cafeteria. When guys play the game, they become hypnotized. Then the company uses music (an organ) as the mind control device to get them to play hockey death mactches against each other (and their all dressed up like Star Wars storm-troopers when they play). It's actually a pretty funny movie, and a good movie example of using an arcade machine to affect people's minds.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"