Thread: Various deals today--plus some bad luck

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Various deals today--plus some bad luck

x_x I got a Activision TV Games 10 in 1 plug and play controller for $1.99 at Goodwill, and 2 third party controllers, and 2 rumble packs for DC for $1 each at a local pawnshop, for a total of $4.00!! Best $6.00 I've spent in awhile!! Of course, then my black cloud showed up, and I somehow lost my receipt from my purchases somewhere on the way home (with my debit Visa # on it) and I had to call and cancel my card, which cost me $5.00. :-( So If you take that into consideration, I spent $11 total --still a good deal!

x_x
    DC--- It's STILL thinking....!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't you hate places that put your number on their receipts?
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. Link
    Don't you hate places that put your number on their receipts?
    Yes--very much so!! But I guess it is my own bone-headed mistake to begin with. It turned an exciting day into a bummer real quick

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Various deals today--plus some bad luck

Quote Originally Posted by Evil E
    x_x I got a Activision TV Games 10 in 1 plug and play controller for $1.99 at Goodwill, and 2 third party controllers, and 2 rumble packs for DC for $1 each at a local pawnshop, for a total of $4.00!! Best $6.00 I've spent in awhile!! Of course, then my black cloud showed up, and I somehow lost my receipt from my purchases somewhere on the way home (with my debit Visa # on it) and I had to call and cancel my card, which cost me $5.00. :-( So If you take that into consideration, I spent $11 total --still a good deal!

x_x
    you know that most stores keep a receipt with the number on it?? i'd never cancel my card just because the nr is open somewhere, it's open anyways if people WANT to get access to it
    -Jan

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Various deals today--plus some bad luck

Quote Originally Posted by hydr0x
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil E

x_x
    you know that most stores keep a receipt with the number on it?? i'd never cancel my card just because the nr is open somewhere, it's open anyways if people WANT to get access to it
    They stapled the receipt to an invoice which had my full Visa number on it! Someone could easily use it, such as online, to purchase stuff--it was just a risk I didn't want to take, I mean why make it so easy to drain my checking account? There are so many shady and unhonest people out there.....

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Thats the point...

They stapled the receipt to an invoice which had my full Visa number on it! Someone could easily use it, such as online, to purchase stuff--it was just a risk I didn't want to take, I mean why make it so easy to drain my checking account? There are so many shady and unhonest people out there.....
    That's what he's saying... any shady and unhonest person that works at that pawn shop could get your VISA number from the carbon copy... a waitress could copy it down on the way to the back of the restraunt... someone behind you in a line could take a picture of it with their cell phone when you pull it out to buy something... the amount of people who could get your CC# is staggering...kinda silly to cancel it.
    Mick Foley is the greatest wrestler of all time.

Pear (Level 6) Reverend JagDiesel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That sucks, Evil E. I try to avoid using the card to pay for anything, especially at pawn shops or thrifts.
    What part of AZ are you in? If you're in Phoenix or somewhere in the valley, check out the DAV store in Mesa, they usually have some decent stuff.
    You can put a man on trial, but you can't make the guilty pay.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hydrox,

It's very uncommon in the US for the full number to be printed on a receipt -I know that it's the norm in Europe, but American tourists are always warned about it. I'm pretty sure that it's illegal in most states to print out the full number of the reciept, for fraud reasons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

Quote Originally Posted by kevincure
    Hydrox,

I'm pretty sure that it's illegal in most states to print out the full number of the reciept, for fraud reasons.
    I think so too. You should check into this.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You put $4 on your CC? I understand situations when some people don't have $4. I've had situations where I've been just short and have no choice but $4? I usually have atleast that much in my car. It seems to me that if you're that paranoid about your CC getting ripped off, you should use it less. And I'm not trying to rip, just honest feedback. Cash can't be replaced if you lose it, so just don't lose it. I dread putting anything on my CC because before you know it you can spend $500 and you just plain old forget about it. Then the bill comes and you've spent another $500 in the meantime which means $1000 in games for one month. Oops......welcome to my world

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Achika

Quote Originally Posted by nesuser2
    You put $4 on your CC? I understand situations when some people don't have $4. I've had situations where I've been just short and have no choice but $4? I usually have atleast that much in my car. It seems to me that if you're that paranoid about your CC getting ripped off, you should use it less. And I'm not trying to rip, just honest feedback. Cash can't be replaced if you lose it, so just don't lose it. I dread putting anything on my CC because before you know it you can spend $500 and you just plain old forget about it. Then the bill comes and you've spent another $500 in the meantime which means $1000 in games for one month. Oops......welcome to my world
    If you read again, it was a debit CC which takes it out of his account, instead of sending a bill every month.

There are plenty of stores that still print a full account number on the reciept, I believe most of the "carbon reciepts" (gas stations, the old post office set up, thrift stores, etc.) usually have the full card number, expiration, and name on them. Everything except for the 3 digit security number on the back.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Achika
    If you read again, it was a debit CC which takes it out of his account, instead of sending a bill every month.
    Well that's even worse in my opinion. I just don't like buying things with them period. Mine is a debit CC and I managed to spend $1300 last month. Had I spent cash, it probably wouldn't have turned out that way, more like $800 for the month or so. Almost every situation was unavoidable by me being $5 too short at GS, SG, or doing it through paypal.....gets me everytime.

So......it's not as bad as writing a check for $4 but I really don't think I would put it on my CC(or debit)....some people like the cashless lifestyle though....

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That sucks. I work at a motel and our cc machines were just updated about a year ago so that no numbers save for the last 4 digits and no exp appear on your reciept. The only way you could get a number is by printing a complete transaction report for the entire day, and even then seesh I think all sites should require all companies for that matter should require the 4 digit number from the back of your card as well. i think that would stop70% of this mess.
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nesuser2, I think my own record for Debit transactions is 35 cents. I don't think I use cash for anything but taxis and barbers these days.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Half the receipts I get back have my complete card number on them. One of those places is Pizza Hut, which means everybody there I gave a shitty tip to now has my CC number.

Last weekend my wife went shopping for clothes with our debit card instead of our credit card and by the time we got home the bank had called and suspended our card for "suspicious behavior" so we had to call them and all was well. We've had the card for like 5 years and never used it until this past weekend and then all of a sudden we hit it with like $700 in charges so I can see why they would freak out.