Thread: anybody played XIII?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default anybody played XIII?

how was it, what was most annoying, most cool etc...

looking for some opinions on this game, whats the save feature, hows the difficulty, camera and so on?
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played it a grand total of about 20 minutes after renting it. I didn't care for it and took it back. Sorry I can't be of more help.

D
    DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well no you might help if you remember what was so awful about it...i've done that with a few games, usually over movement and camera issues.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I got the GameCube version for Christmas.

I was finished with the game by New Years' Day. It's VERY short. Actually it's VERY easy too. No problems with the camera angles, it's a solid FPS with very cool graphics, graphic effects (much of the game is presented with comic-book style split pane effects to transition scenes) and music. On the downside, the bad guys are fairly stupid, this is the problem with too many FPS these days.

I'd give the game a 7 out of 10, and I'd rent instead of buy.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default 13

I rented it too, and I played it for a few hours. I would pick it up for 20 bucks.

The storyline stuff is really stupid and the voice acting is horrible. You can't skip the story at the beginning.

The music is really cool, especially on the first level.

The controls are OK.

Sometimes you pick up weapons like chairs and stuff, which is stupid. You can also take hostages but this is implemented poorly. The straight-up shooting is the best part.

The use of cel shading and panels in this game is good.

I would like to play this game again, but usually when I see it it's too much money.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I have this one for the PC. There is a hard mode which I've been trying, and the dumb thing is that you can only save at certain spots. If you die (and in FPS it's almost inevitable at some point), you have to go all the way back to that save spot AND sit through all the dumb cut-scenes that you've already seen 5x because you've kept dying. The medium level or easy or whatever is just as they've said - too easy. It's a shame they've made the hard mode "annoying" as opposed to just "more difficult."

The art style is great. Apart from that, it's a fairly mediocre and uninspired FPS. The story feels like it was slapped together by a bunch of Clancy-wannabes, the levels are all incredibly linear and show little or no imagination (where is CliffyB when you need him? producing instead of designing levels like he should be!), the AI is fairly dumb...need I go on?

It's worth $20, I suppose (with no shipping), but it's nothing to write home about. Actually, $20 could buy you a much better GBA game from eBay, so maybe it's worth $15.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

PS2 and Xbox versions dropped to $29.99 within the past week or so. Cube version, however, is still full price at $49.99.

The game is merely average, IMO. It's mechanically sound but the AI is bad and the novelty of the comic book look wears thin quickly.

Not a bad buy at $30, but I'm certain it will drop again.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like if they would have put a little more time in it then they might have had something good. Graphics are good......but everything else is lacking. All they would have to do is tweek it a little and make the enemies more aggressive.....and with the comic book look it could compete with Viewtiful Joe. While it could never be that good :P It "sounds" like they could have had a good game on their hands. (Yet, I'm still wondering how people can say that Tomb Raider is good and say PN.03 has clunky controls )

On the other hand. I don't have much to offer about XIII. My friend raved about it bigtime, so i got it for xbox and we'll see how that turns out in a couple months when I get to play it.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got the GameCube version for christmas and wasnt happy at all. I hate the controls. In my eyes they kind of ruin the game. I have trouble getting far at all.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Word is on cheapassgamer.com that the Xbox version of XIII will be on sale for $10 this week starting tomorrow...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^ @ Circuit City

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got the XBox version in trade for $10 in games the other day and tried it out. It's ok....but FPS on a console is "teh suck" IMO. Controls are hard to use for me, and I don't like how hard it is to aim. The story (or what I saw of it) wasn't too much really. Graphics are nice....engine is nice, controls on the Box are so-so. For what I got it for...it's...ok at best.

I WANT to like it....but I think I'll get the PC version.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah Ive played it.

can't give you anything in particular, but I just didn't like it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Best Buy has had it for $20 for a while. That surprised me since my store still had it at $40-50. But if it's true that CC will have it for $10, I will jump on that chance. There's a CC on the way to BB where I go! The BB's by the GS which is across from the Mall which has an EB and a GS. There's a BK nearby as well and a TB in the other direction if you're hungry.. Oh, and let's not forget the TRU.

Well.. TTFN.

Seriously, though. If it really is short, I'm glad I didn't get it at full price. But for $10, I say why not?

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

I got XIII for the XBox purely because there is Live support. The only thing that I really dont like is that you move very slow. Yeah the AI is kinda dumb, but tweak the difficulty, and you'll see how sure a shot these monsters really are. Ive never seen an AI be so accurate. Makes it really annoying.
    Its not a bad game, and for a shooter its one of the few that has a true story, full of intrigue and suspense (they did a good job). Though some of the sneaking levels were stupid, get spotted and start the level ALL the way over. I had the feeling that they forgot to put in more of the Secret 21 (or how ever many there were) eariler in the game. In one level close the end where you had only seen/dealt with a small handfull before that, you've suddenly dealt with another 12+. It was like oops, there's suppose to be bad guys, quick throw em in.

It was ambitious for a FPS and to be CelShaded took balls. Though the tricks of the spy didnt really help, (lock picking faster does nothing when there are no baddies to bug you, and Quieter steps; HaH, they still totally hear you.) For the 20-30 you'll see it at, its well worth it. For a solid story driven Cel Shaded FPS, Ubi did damn good.

Now for the sequel... the story can only thicken.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

COOL! This post answers all the same questions I had. I too am think about get it, since it's only $15 at a local Circuit City!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Let me correct myself on my previous post.

XIII for PS2 and Xbox is $10 at Circuit City. GC and PC versions are still $20.

Big shout to trustcompany1013 and updownload on cheapassgamer.com. I believe in giving credit where credit is due...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Quote Originally Posted by maxlords
    I got the XBox version in trade for $10 in games the other day and tried it out. It's ok....but FPS on a console is "teh suck" IMO. Controls are hard to use for me, and I don't like how hard it is to aim. The story (or what I saw of it) wasn't too much really. Graphics are nice....engine is nice, controls on the Box are so-so. For what I got it for...it's...ok at best.

I WANT to like it....but I think I'll get the PC version.
    Maxlords stole my thoughts right outta my head! Just replace Xbox with PS2, and that I rented it from gamefly...

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PapaStu
    Now for the sequel... the story can only thicken.
    So, that'll be what? XIV?