Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PartsJohn

Default The TurboGrafx-16 Collectors' Guide List

Hey guys, here's something pretty cool.

IT'S A DEAD LINK FOR NOW.

If anyone has anything to contribute, please let me know via a post-reply and send me a PM on how you want to be credited under the compiled by part. Shoot me a suggestion on if you think the name list should be in alphabetical order, or by order of submission.

I've got a few questions about some things...

Did I get the sleeves correct for Bomberman, Champions Forever, Davis Cup, and Timeball? Can anyone give me a date on the Timeball Card, or from the back cover of the manual? If anyone is not sure about the sleeves, but has release dates, or what titles released at the approximately the same time, that would be great.

Should the Quick Start Guide be included for TV Sports Football? Did other games come with these?

Did I get the case color right for Fighting Street, Monster Lair, and Y's I & II? I'm not certain myself. I'm kind of inclined to believe that they came in white cases, but I don't always see them that way... and I didn't get my copies brand new. Can anyone verify this?

How about the pack-in games for the Duo? What did they all come with? Did Ninja Spirit have a case? How about a manual variation? I know Y's I & II has a disc variation... I'll bet the manual is a variant, too? Did any of the pack-in CD games just come with those covers, and not actual jewel cases?

I can't really think of any other questions off the top of my head, but it's way late here.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I will also appreciate any suggestions on if I could make the list better in a certain way. Should I mark SCDs? Should I really put foam insert for the applicable boxes? Thanks.

Strawberry (Level 2) LazingBlazers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PartsJohn

JFYI, I fixed two errors in the sleeve styles for Sonic Spike and Super Star Soldier... that was a typo on my part. Too much typing at one sitting.

Switched Davis Cup sleeve style, and Fighting Street case color. Those are my honest gut feelings after some further contemplation. I went over everything else, and this list stands at how it is until I get some other stuff in the mail, and/or if I hear something from somebody.

I hope you find my project useful.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My question is did every game come with those extra NEC insert that told you about upcoming games.. , I have extra stuff for ys aswell, some plastic credit card style cards, that i assume were maybe used as instore displays. Of course you should mention that the pack in ys 1& 2 didnt have a box, or map ..

I'll compare your list to my collection and between us we should be able to firm it up.. Im keen to know about box and manual variations, i have quite a few games with different manuals and different language manuals
    Currently Looking For :
    Magical Chase TG16 Manual
    TG16 Order of the Griffon Complete Mint
    TG16 Chew Man Fu Complete Mint
    PAL Dreamcast Samba De Amigo - Box
    Dragon Warrior 2 - Mint Box, Dragon Warrior 1 - 4 Mint Maps, Dragon Quest Guide Books

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PartsJohn

Quote Originally Posted by mrhaboobi
    My question is did every game come with those extra NEC insert that told you about upcoming games.. , I have extra stuff for ys aswell, some plastic credit card style cards, that i assume were maybe used as instore displays. Of course you should mention that the pack in ys 1& 2 didnt have a box, or map ..

I'll compare your list to my collection and between us we should be able to firm it up.. Im keen to know about box and manual variations, i have quite a few games with different manuals and different language manuals
    I say that not every game came with that propaganda stuff. I recently got a NOS Splatterhouse, and the box was devoid of anything like that. I also got some NOS late release titles recently (Ghost Manor, Legend of Hero Tonma, World Sports Competition), and none of those had anything like that in them either. Back when, when you could go to the store and buy Turbo stuff, I purchased about 27 games brand new (can't remember the exact number), but I do remember that not every one had that stuff in there.

What are those credit card style cards? Are those kind of like those cards I sent you a picture of? Did you get those from Hot Poop?

On the pack in Y's, did it come with a case? Or just a soft cover ("those covers")? I'm sure the manual says TTI on the back, but can you verify this for me? Then I will add it to the list. Check for other Duo pack in games... how about Ninja Spirit? That's got to be a TTI manual variant. Did that pack in come with a case?

Do you really want to go the Canadian manual route? I've got a few, but not too many. My knowledge of boxes is that late release Canadian titles have a UPC sticker over the UPC code printed on the box. The not-late-release titles that I've seen have French writing on them. I'll look at my stuff and see if I can find some other things that differentiate them (US & Canadian boxes).

EDIT* Did you ever have any NOS CD games that I marked as White Case?... that YOU opened up?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Well done!

It's gerat to see people take initiative on things like this - and I do get asked this question quite a lot, your list should really help clarify things.

When you've got it about *ready* (no list is ever truly *done*), let me know so I can add a link to it from our FAQ page.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LazingBlazers

I say that not every game came with that propaganda stuff. I recently got a NOS Splatterhouse, and the box was devoid of anything like that. I also got some NOS late release titles recently (Ghost Manor, Legend of Hero Tonma, World Sports Competition), and none of those had anything like that in them either. Back when, when you could go to the store and buy Turbo stuff, I purchased about 27 games brand new (can't remember the exact number), but I do remember that not every one had that stuff in there.

What are those credit card style cards? Are those kind of like those cards I sent you a picture of? Did you get those from Hot Poop?

On the pack in Y's, did it come with a case? Or just a soft cover ("those covers")? I'm sure the manual says TTI on the back, but can you verify this for me? Then I will add it to the list. Check for other Duo pack in games... how about Ninja Spirit? That's got to be a TTI manual variant. Did that pack in come with a case?

Do you really want to go the Canadian manual route? I've got a few, but not too many. My knowledge of boxes is that late release Canadian titles have a UPC sticker over the UPC code printed on the box. The not-late-release titles that I've seen have French writing on them. I'll look at my stuff and see if I can find some other things that differentiate them (US & Canadian boxes).

EDIT* Did you ever have any NOS CD games that I marked as White Case?... that YOU opened up?
    I'll check my gear and let you know over the next few days, I think your list of white cd cases was correct, but having said that i dont have any NOS cd's.. but i'll confirm, i beieve the YS came in a case, obviously the pack in didnt come with the map though..

The credit card style things are plastic cards that seems to have selling information on them, one side has the ys logos and the other has text.. i have to dig them out and take pictures.

I'd like to figure out the canadian info for at least the French manuals.. I know i have a few french manuals, also ive seen a Black and whilte bonk 3 manual on ebay before, not a reprint, and it was in another language, but i cant remember the details nor do i have the auction link.

I link your bonks are missing posters, as my games came with pack in posters.. ( though they might have been seperate )...

Anyways lots to look over.. i'll work through the list, but my time is dedicated to buying a house right now but will chip in where i can.
    Currently Looking For :
    Dragon Warrior 2 - Mint Box, Dragon Warrior 1 - 4 Mint Maps, Dragon Quest Guide Books

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One other thing, champiomship boxing seems to come with two different coloured hu's, one black, one white from memory
    Currently Looking For :

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never realized it before, but I am guessing you will find the white case/black case thing is going to end up being kind of haphazard...

I've never seen Ys I & II with a white case, (I got my own new, and have sold many new Duos as well). My Valis III has a white case, as does my Splash Lake, but my Fighting Street and Monster Lair both came with black cases...

As far as the Canadian late era TTI releases... the French language instructions in the games I have are all smaller black and white folded sheets... in fact, that is ALL that came with my Bonk 3 (Hu) when I bought it new at Radio Shack. x_x

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

how bout listing the hu cards that came with the cheap plastic insert instead of the case....I realize you kinda did this by leaving the case information out of the listings, but just for those who don't know...there was something besides a Hu-Card and manual.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PartsJohn

@ digitalpress Thank you, and no problem.

@ Greg I remember seeing a poster for Bonk's Adventure, but I can't verfiy that it was a game pack in. I got my Bonk's Revenge as a pack in with my system, and I don't remember a poster for it. I probably would have had it on my wall back then, and I don't remember that... but I could be wrong. Maybe the pack in never had it? I'll go through my games and see which actual manuals I have in French. See my B&W list below. Good luck with your house. I'll do an eBay search for Champions Forever.

@ Lost Monkey Yeah, some of the cases may be a crapshoot. I've seen the vast majority of Final Zone II and Valis II cases in white, though. I've seen an equal mix of Y's I & II and Valis III cases in white and black... admitedly I never really paid attention to the Y's variation, though. I've never seen a white Splash Lake. And Fighting Street and Monster Lair I've actually seen the majority in black. I based my white case listing off of date. I'm going out on a limb and assuming that the early releases came in white cases, and the laters followed in black cases... based on my assumpiton that maybe they carried stuff over from Japan, and used white cases off the bat... later changing them to black for the North American market. I'll assume that your Y's is the boxed store release, and not the pack in... that is valuable information. If my curiosity gets the best of me, maybe I'll have to get hardcore and buy some NOS games.

I have B&W folded sheets for Bomberman '93 and Time Cruise. These games also came with the normal English manuals. The folded sheets, boxes, normal manuals all have the USA company address on them. I have a Night Creatures B&W folded sheet, also! This sort of confirms that not only the TTI releases came with these. The box has the USA company addy on it, and the manual I sold and don't remember what it said. The sheet says nothing. Interesting stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PartsJohn

Quote Originally Posted by udisi
    how bout listing the hu cards that came with the cheap plastic insert instead of the case....I realize you kinda did this by leaving the case information out of the listings, but just for those who don't know...there was something besides a Hu-Card and manual.
    Yeah, I can do that. I'll list the styrafoam inserts, too. I might do it in a bulk way and just say that all TurboChips that didn't come with a case had a plastic tray insert in the box, and that all boxed CD games and cased TurboChips had a styrafoam insert in the box. Let me know if you favor the individual route, or the bulk listing?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm going out on a limb and assuming that the early releases came in white cases, and the laters followed in black cases... based on my assumpiton that maybe they carried stuff over from Japan, and used white cases off the bat... later changing them to black for the North American market.
    That is a fair assumption.

BTW - by "releases", do you mean "batches"? As in, "maybe early batches of Fighting Street came with white cases" ?

I'll assume that your Y's is the boxed store release
    Yup!

If my curiosity gets the best of me, maybe I'll have to get hardcore and buy some NOS games.
    Oh wouldn't that just suck! :P

I have B&W folded sheets for Bomberman '93 and Time Cruise. These games also came with the normal English manuals. The folded sheets, boxes, normal manuals all have the USA company address on them. I have a Night Creatures B&W folded sheet, also! This sort of confirms that not only the TTI releases came with these. The box has the USA company addy on it, and the manual I sold and don't remember what it said. The sheet says nothing. Interesting stuff.
    I'm going to have to take a closer look at some of my stuff... I wonder if there are some "crossover" releases, where the jewel cases, boxes etc were already ready to go when TTI started releasing stuff...

Another interesting compilation may be manual errors and inconsistencies... Games are referred to as both CDs and HuCards, the Turbo is referred to as the "Turdo"...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PartsJohn

@Lost Monkey You know, I never thought of that... speaking of batches of releases. Were there even enough games released? I can't quote the source, but I'm pretty sure that not even 1 million systems were sold in North America. I'm not sure on this either, but I don't think the CD add on even cracked 100 thousand. I'll see if I can dig up the source I'm thinking of. Maybe I'm wrong.

http://www.telegames.com/turbo.htm $69.95 is too much, but that's killing one bird with one big a$$ stone.

I could possibly get into the manual error thing. That would very hardcore (tedious), though.

@Everbody I don't feel like finalizing it tonight, but in a few days I should have my preliminary French Canadian Manual List done... I prefer to call it Project Super Hunch. Here's the deal...

Confirmed full blown French language manuals so far are: Aero Blasters, Drop Off, Dungeon Explorer, Pac-Land, and Space Harrier.

Confirmed B&W French language manual sheets are: Bomberman '93, Bonk 3, Night Creatures, Time Cruise.

There are two types of French Canadian boxes that I have seen. One is the type with French writing on the box, and the other is the type without French writing with the UPC sticker over the UPC already printed on the box (Cadash is an exception, but I'll talk about that in a little bit). Based on this knowledge, combined with the fact that so far there are two known types of French manuals, this leads me to believe that there was a cut off between the use of full blown manuals and the B&W sheets. The newest box that I have with French language writing is Bonk's Revenge. The oldest box that I have with the UPC sticker is Silent Debuggers. Therefore, I will compile a list of Bonk's Revenge era & prior releases as Full Blown manual releases... and I will compile a list of Night Creatures era & later releases as B&W sheet releases. I honestly believe that this is a logical assumption and that is makes sense. I am sort of in limbo on IGS and Working Designs releases... and probably Klax (Tengen release). If anybody has any manuals or boxes, please step up to the plate. Also, if anybody has the Turbo Play magazines and the like, release dates would a HUGE help.

Also, I was getting my boxes off the shelf, I dropped a bunch of them, and out fell the Turrican poster send in warranty card. Do you think it warrants being added to the list? I bet it's unique to that game. I think I'm going to add it. Also fell out the What's One Bonk Without The Other? sheet. I'm thinking that this fell out of the Bonk's Revenge box, but I'm can say that for sure. Looks like mass marketing to me, but can anyone verify that this possibly only came with Bonk's Revenge? I doubt it, but if so it would be worth a list addition.

I'll also formulate an addition for the list about the trays and stuff when I finish Project Super Hunch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PartsJohn

One other thing, champiomship boxing seems to come with two different coloured hu's, one black, one white from memory
    I can confirm one black, and one red. Let me know what the totally 90's neon color is on your case label, if you've got a black one, when you've got the time.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Confirmed full blown French language manuals so far are: Aero Blasters, Drop Off, Dungeon Explorer, Pac-Land, and Space Harrier.

Confirmed B&W French language manual sheets are: Bomberman '93, Bonk 3, Night Creatures, Time Cruise.
    I have found 3 different variations on the French manuals so far:

Full blown (earlier NEC releases) - identical to English manuals, just in French!
    B&W Large (Later NEC releases) - a folded sheet approx 8*10
    B&W Small (TTI releases) - a folded sheet approx 8*8

Full blown French language manuals I have:

Neutopia ( came in a bi-lingual box)
    Drop Off ( came in a bi-lingual box)
    TV Sports Hockey ( came in a bi-lingual box)
    Ys I&II
    Bonk's Revenge
    Devil's Crush

B&W Large manuals I have:

Impossamole
    Silent Debuggers
    Ballistix

Baby B&W manuals I have:

Legend of Hero Tonma
    Darkwing Duck
    Air Zonk
    Time Cruise
    New Adventure Island

And a couple notes: Sherlock Holmes (1) came with 8 newspaper inserts. I have a poster that came with Bonk's Revenge too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PartsJohn

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Monkey

I have found 3 different variations on the French manuals so far:

Full blown (earlier NEC releases) - identical to English manuals, just in French!
    B&W Large (Later NEC releases) - a folded sheet approx 8*10
    B&W Small (TTI releases) - a folded sheet approx 8*8

Full blown French language manuals I have:

Neutopia ( came in a bi-lingual box)
    Drop Off ( came in a bi-lingual box)
    TV Sports Hockey ( came in a bi-lingual box)
    Ys I&II
    Bonk's Revenge
    Devil's Crush

B&W Large manuals I have:

Impossamole
    Silent Debuggers
    Ballistix

Baby B&W manuals I have:

Legend of Hero Tonma
    Darkwing Duck
    Air Zonk
    Time Cruise
    New Adventure Island
    I bet if I measure my Night Creatures, I'll come up with the larger sheet size, and my others will measure the smaller size. Thanks for pointing that out. Looks to me that all bi-lingual boxes have full blowns, stickered boxes for games with cases (no bilingual, some don't have stickers either) have larger B&W sheets, and stickered boxes (no bi-lingual either) for games without cases (TTI late releases) have the smaller B&W sheets. Yeah, that's my theory, and it looks like we're on the same wavelength. That's good.

Looks like Silent Debuggers is still the earliest game in my immediate vantage for my theory on B&W sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Monkey
    And a couple notes: Sherlock Holmes (1) came with 8 newspaper inserts. I have a poster that came with Bonk's Revenge too.
    Yeah, I suppose I should say something about the Bonk's Revenge poster. Confirmed by you, speculated by mrhaboobi, and seen on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting

Looks pretty legit. PM me how you want to be credited, and I'll add your name to the list next time I update it. You really think I should put "8 Newspaper Sheets" or "Newspaper comprised of 8 sheets"... instead of just "Newspaper"?

Expect The Hunch List on Monday... maybe sooner.

PS- I've got a bi-lingual Bonk's Revenge box. Does your manual for Y's have the NEC Canada, Inc. address on the back?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PartsJohn

I just thought I'd bring this thread back from the dead... for the few people who were actually looking forward to the more finished product..

I've been busy for about the last four months, but I'm going to have the time to revise my list in the next week or two. It will be a much nicer format than the lousy TXT stuff I had up before, and some info will be updated, revised, added, subtracted, whathaveyou. After that, maybe I'll actually get that Canadian list going, too. Until then...