Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the deal with all the Geneses??

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What's the deal with all the Geneses??

They're everywhere! It's like the Bugs Bunny cartoon where Bugs spill those alien seeds into and open sewer and all the alien attenaes start popping up and flooding the earth.

Whenever I go to a thrift store I can always count on there being at least one Genesis. Even the most common of systems (NES, SNES, N64, Playstation) don't pop up that often, but there are always Genesises (Genesisi? Stupid plurals.) Usually it is the Genesis 2, but even the original Genesis is pretty darn common (Genesis 3, on the other hand, I have not yet seen.)

So what's the deal? How can there be so many people who want to get rid of their Genesis? Did Sega produce massive quanities of this system? Eventually I would think everyone who didn't want one would have dumped theirs and there would be no more supply to keep the thrift stores stocked. Yet week in and week out, I see new supplies of Genesis filling the shelves.

Anybody have any thoughts or theories? Anybody care?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, if we assume that Genesis is a Latin 3rd declension noun (i stem), then the plural form would be Geneses. That's about all the geekiness I have to offer. ;-)

I live in Southwest Michigan, and the Genesis doesn't seem any more or less common than its contemporaries. You probably just live in a dense area. (Dense in terms of Genesis units per capita - not mental density. Heh)

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

Quote Originally Posted by davidbrit2
    Well, if we assume that Genesis is a Latin 3rd declension noun (i stem), then the plural form would be Geneses. That's about all the geekiness I have to offer. ;-)

I live in Southwest Michigan, and the Genesis doesn't seem any more or less common than its contemporaries. You probably just live in a dense area. (Dense in terms of Genesis units per capita - not mental density. Heh)
    are you a friggin english professor?
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No, just a friggin' geek. I can't stand English classes, actually.

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

oh the irony.

well anyways, to be on topic, i have no i dea why the genny is so common but i do know that its the bestest lol
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perhaps you're right (about the denseness of my area that is.) Plus I'm up in the Pacific Northwest. That's Nintendo of America territory (they're about 40 some miles down the road from me.) Maybe it's a giant conspiracy!!

But then again . . .

When I got this bee in my bonnet (it's a pretty blue bonnet with a sunflower in the side and a strap that ties underneath my chin) to start collecting systems I did a little online research. One of the first sites I found was a Canadian site which included comments about systems rarity. In regards to the Genesis, if my memory serves me correctly, he said "If you can't find one of these, then you suck." Now thems fighting words! None the less, I have found them to be true words and it confirms that the Genesis is as plentiful as the spawning salmon used to be in at least two different areas of the world.

So again, I query as to where they all come from.

By the way, if they're not so common in your area and you happen to be in the market for a Genesis, then by all means catch a train up to Seattle. I guarantee you'll find one within two Goodwills for between $3.99 and $7.99.

Good times.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

I was going to offer Geneses, but I got geeked the fuck out!

<Runs to re-read old Latin book>
    -ROb
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: d

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick
    I was going to offer Geneses, but I got geeked the fuck out! :D LOL

<Runs to re-read old Latin book>
    -ROb
    Hey, there's still GENESIS達. ;-)

UTF-8 encoding

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Genny

I'll back you up on this one. The genesis is definetly everywhere. Except around here everyone has smartened up and it's $15-20 each even at the thrifts/fleas. I'm in New England.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Genny

Genesis is one of those "ultimate systems" for collectors -- SO MANY console variations, even in the US! It makes me feel all fuzzy and warm inside.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

It seems like the Genesis is the most common system I see when I'm in my old FuncoLand. NES's are common also. Hardly see any SNES.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

I thought this topic was going to ask, "Why are there so many variations of the Genesis?" But, yeah: It is pretty common--about as common as the NES in my neck of the woods.

SoulBlazer, I just glanced over at your avatar with music in the background, and I now see it with a totally different perspective.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ya know, I use to fancy the SNES as quite rare. The only places I ever saw it were Gamestop for $40 and Pawn Express for $30. To me these seemed like high prices. So the question was begged (by myself) why are SNESes so hard to find (especially when its foe of the time, the Genesis, was not.) And for that matter, why are they so bloody expensive (the very same Gamestops would sell Geneses for $20.)

I finally concluded that it was because the SNES was the last great 2D system. Yes, I know. There were other 2D systems that followed (the Saturn, yes?) but they were crushed under the rising power of the 3D machine. Being the last great hoorah for 2D gives the SNES value. People who still want 2D gaming are most likely to get their fix with a SNES. Therefore it is hard to find and pricey when found.

Or so I thought.

I eventually broke down and bought a SNES when my wife bargained a guy at Pawn Express down to $23. What the heck, I figured. I never see them anywhere else and that's by far the best price I had seen. But fate is cruel and sassy . . .

Not more than a week later I found a SNES at Goodwill. And soon, almost every thrift store visit I made yielded at least one SNES. I even saw one for as low as $2.99! Thus my whole theory as to the scarcity and priceiness of the SNES was blown out of the water. They are definitely out there to be had and to be had reasonably at that. I should note, however, that I have not seen a single one since mid-November. So maybe I just hit a lucky hot streak.

As a final note, I must add that fate has farted in my face once again. Another system I have been eyeing but never willing to pay the price for is the Dreamcast. Well, recently Gamestop began selling off their stock so I was able to run off with one for $20. I was quite pleased too. Two days later I spied my first thrift store Dreamcast at the Seattle Goodwill for a piddling $10! Why is it as soon as I break down and pay a higher price at a premium store, the thrift stores immediately get that system in stock?

Alas . . .

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where i am at (well the store i am at) the NES and SNES are a rare bird to be seen. Genesis and N64 are the most common systems brought in and those systems are the ones we have the most games of.. bulk wise.

An NES never lasts the same with SNES...we have people call practically daily asking for an NES or SNES.

The least loved systems in our store are these two:

Master System & Saturn.

We still have the same three Master System consoles we had last summer and only 1 Saturn has ever left our store.

But truthfully, the Genesis gets sh*t on the most. The systems are cheap and the controllers are plentiful.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

now that its been brought up, how many genesises's are there? (variations i mean) US only

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

6 that i can think of

Genesis Model 1
    Genesis Model 2
    Genesis Model 3
    X'Eye
    CDX
    Nomad

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just out of my mind...

Units where you can play genny games at:

Genesis 1
    Genesis 2
    Genesis 3
    Nomad
    Sega CDX
    JVC Xeye
    Laseractive genesis module

Banana (Level 7)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i know of those, and there is a gen 1 that has the 'high definition graphics' stamp on...

oh, and the heartbeat personal trainer genesis!

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

And what;s strange is that I'm sure almost as many Genesis's were made as SNES units.

BTW, what kind of 'prespective' did you see mine in? I think I'm going to change mine soon anyway.
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

in gamer slang a genesis is a genny, just as a NES is a toaster, so my plural would be gennies

moving along...

i concur with the other new englanders that gennys are the most common console to be found here, with toasters running a strong second and N64s third. what is it about genesis? i think it was the first all ages console and thus was in the most household types. you didnt need a kid around to own a genny so lots of non-breeder types have them to donate. the NES, and to some extent the SNES were seen as kiddy systems but the genny with its endless sports offerings appealed to the college kid, the single male, the football husband and so on. you can see this trend of older players by the type of games that are often found with the thrift store genny, a couple of madden or NHL games, the pack in sonic and if you're lucky a mortal kombat type game, and thats it! seems to me that genesis had lots of these casual gamer fans, its pretty unusual to find a genny with a large amount of non-sports games. so thats my genny theory, expect to see something similar with used Playstations in the next few years.
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON