View Poll Results: Are you spending MORE or LESS on games every month?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • MORE

12 27.91%
  • LESS

24 55.81%
  • About the same

7 16.28%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have your buying habits slowed down or sped up?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Have your buying habits slowed down or sped up?

After years of blowing wads of cash and amassing a pretty big collection (not as big as some of you hard-hitters, but still pretty ridiculous) I've found myself in a curious predicament....

I've run out of stuff to buy.

I've finally managed to stop my E-bay addiction (closing down that PayPal account certainly helped) and now I just look for things in the wild. The quest to complete my Saturn collection has ground to a halt as there are few Saturn games to be found in the wild, and I don't have any of the new systems beyond the Dreamcast. I'm reduced to picking through PSX, DC, and complete N64 games (of which there are few.) I hit Half.com once in a while and I'm waiting for the last wave of DC import shooters to come out, but nothing else seems to be forming as my next "collection du jour."

I went down a stretch of highway last weekend where there are 4 game shops within a five mile radius... two EBgames, a Gamestop, and an overpriced SwapUSA store that sometimes has some cool stuff. Back in the day, I could have easily spent $200 on that road. Last time I spent $21.

My credit card is almost paid off. I'm not living from paycheck to paycheck anymore. I have most of my games with me, back out of storage. I play my Dreancast fairly regularly. I just don't feel the urge to buy that much anymore. Anyone else experiencing this bizarre change? It's almost like menopause I suppose... feels weird.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find myself buying a lot of stuff I ultimately don't use. many gimmicky stuff silent scope is one of the more recent things, and weird obcessions with preorder gifts...think soul calibur 2 or the weirdest one final fantasy crystal chronicles.

ultimately I need to find a week, sit down sort through my stuff and figure out what I want and what I can hawk or trade off at gametz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Munchies879

I've slowed down on buying just a little bit because I finally realized that I have more games than I have time to play them. I've bought a lot of good games in the past couple months that I'm dying to play but haven't touched. I want to sit down and play them rather than just keep buying buying buying.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Since I've switched to mostly buying stuff I actually want to play, it's slowed waaaay down.

Actually I've sold off a ton of stuff in the past 6 months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

About the same. I am into Gamecube games now. I dont really buy to collect. I buy to play.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

With the exception of the binge I took a couple of weekends ago, I've slowed down considerably on buying. I bought so much stuff between last Sepember-December it's not even funny, and now I'm looking to play through some of it, and even put some money I would normally spend on games towards some projects I hope to complete this year.

Those of you that know me outside of the forums are probably laughing to yourselves right now.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have slowed down. I am trying to only buy Sega stuff. Mostly Genesis. After my Credit Card bills are paid the I will start to buy more. Plus I want to get a new house next year.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have slowed down mostly because I am unemployed.
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to spend like 20 dollars a week on games (summer, oh man I miss working). Now I will buy a Game cube or Atari game here and there, but have been saving up my money and buying BIG. I'm not talking about rare carts either, I mean arcades. Then when CGE comes I will buy system based stuff. Carts, Discs, etc. I like this cycle cause I feed into both sides of my collection.
    The only problem is money flows like water at CGE, spent $800 last year.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Pear (Level 6) Reverend JagDiesel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been selling/trading more than buying lately. I have about half a dozen Xbox games I havent even upwrapped yet. Plus, I have come to the decision to get rid of my Intv collection as it has sat for almost a year collecting dust. I am only buying SNES, Xbox, and Odyssey2 stuff now and havent found jack in the last 4 months of thrifting. I may end up cutting out my Saturday thrift ritual all together and maybe just hit the community yard sales that seem prevalent here in the valley...
    You can put a man on trial, but you can't make the guilty pay.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My collecting habits have remained at the same slow-constant pace for the last 2 years.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

big slowdown this winter! the cold has been pretty brutal this year so that means less chances to buy things at the flea markets and less motivation to go out on often fruitless thrift hauls. on the money front it just seems like an easy area to slow down on, with travel, christmas and car repair expenses recently its a good idea. i havent had much luck with the thrifts lately, the stuff still turns up but the prices have gotten silly ($5 for gennysports games and $20 for PS games) so i just leave it. i still have some "sure shots" at my area gamestores where i know i could find stuff if i'm willing to pay market prices. so mostly i'm focused on the 1 year to 6 month old PS2 games that i really want to play. with any luck i'll get my usual 20 or so games at the next trademeet and then the sun will shine again...and i'll be back at my flea market scooping up the goodness. if its not cheap, its not fun anymore!
    NEW ENGLAND CLASSIC GAMING-NEXT TRADEMEET pretty soon... IN BOSTON

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Let me put my analogy in context with this thread. Everytime I hear a collector is hitting the brakes I step on the gas.

Right now my speedometer's needle is pinned.

My house is crammed with stuff but I don't see an end to the collecting. I still have an FM Towns Marty library to fill and loads and loads of imports to track down. As such, if you want to be one less competitor on the ultra-busy eBay highway, I'm not going to talk you out of it.

Just remember that when you merge back onto the supercollector freeway, look both ways carefully. I'm not yielding.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Weirdly, everything has seemed to pick up lately. I've been buying a ton more stuff to sell and trade than I used to - mostly because I've trimmed down exactly what I want to collect/play and what I don't. Then, I've been turning all that around into profits specifically to buy or trade for loads of things that I do want. Over the past two months, I've been averaging about 2 or 3 MVS games (among other things) each week, yet the net amount of money I've spent is $0. The cycle has been churning lately and I sure hope it doesn't slow down.
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been slowing down generally, but I will now make every effort to corner the market on FM Towns and "imports".
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

More. I got a better income, paid some debts and have no extra expenses, so all my extra money are going to my collection.
    ♪ well, you've gotta be crazy, baby to want a guy like me
    yeah, you've gotta be out of your mind
    Crazy! ♪

http://www.panzerdragoon.net/ - Nice place for Dragon Riders!

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I definitely buy less than I used to... mostly because I hardly ever find games I want anymore. Everything that shows up locally is usually stuff I already own, and I try to stay off of eBay, because I always end up spending more than I want to (Not usually because of over-bidding, but because the "real" costs end up including all the shipping, CDN exchange, PayPal fees, and what have you... it's annoying when you win an auction for $5 and end up paying $15).

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Spendo

I've sort of gotten some of my out of control spending under control and filled out alot of collections.

I pick up goods when I can, but mostly in bulk from friends rather than piecemeal from eBayor game stores. the problem is, one $1000 load of goodies takes me a month or two of eBay sales to make up for (those purchases no longer come from regular paychecks.) I mostly stay within my allotted in the wild local flea market/game spending of $350 a month otherwise, substantially less than previous years where I wasn't even making much money. Does that budget seem like alot to you guys? It was alot less than I originally thought I could live on.

How I differ from Santulli in his analogy is that I'm wearing a seatbelt. In fact, for alot of systems that most of the DP forumites love, I may be hitting the eject button. It will all depend on how much space I can get when I move again. My goal was to have a gigantic space for my collection so I could get whatever I wanted. The problem is that we decided to move to the bay area, where space is at a major premium, since the cost of real estate is sky high.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

About the same, I get very little hunting time, and I need to get more! I've been in a crazy mad buying mood lately and I'm not going to resort to eBay for stuff I can get out in the wild

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In the last few months, i decided it was time to trimmed and "cuting the fat" where it need to. The only thing in my collection i will never touch it's the NES stuff. So some SNES, Genny, and such have left out, helping my NES collection to grow and still going strong to the 400 games mark.

I did alot more sales and trades and stop buying stuff, which have help very much my wallet
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.