Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NES Mermaids of Atlantis - WTF??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default NES Mermaids of Atlantis - WTF??

Maybe I'm missing something...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...EBDW%3AIT&rd=1

But I'm fairly sure that a complete, opened copy of Mermaids should fetch about $30-$40 tops.

What the hell happened here?

I think Portnoyd will get a chuckle out of this one!

Steve
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's pretty outrageous. I didn't see a single thing in the listing that would make anybody pay a price like that. This auction should be good though......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...&category=3608

Maybe this will sell for just as much as BBB, idiots. That being said, for a little bit more money you could have a complete copy of BBB. Now, when I say a little bit more money...I mean, just under twice the price. Once you've gone all out to spend $200, what's another $150?

EDIT: If anybody wants to help the seller out, The guy with the current high bid on the one I just posted packed $207 on the original auction. Imagine what he'll plop down on this.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Default Re: NES Mermaids of Atlantis - WTF??

Quote Originally Posted by orrimarrko
    I think Portnoyd will get a chuckle out of this one!
    If by chuckle, you mean slam my head against the keyboard... sure!

Yeah, $30-$40 is a good range these days... I'd imagine it was a bidding contest, but the winner is stupid as fucking hell. He probably won't pay. Well... he better not.

The game's kinda rare, but the box and manual don't warrant THAT much of a boost.

dave

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't want to sound totally ticked off or anything, But...I sold a lot of sealed NES games on ebay and some sold for insane prices. Since last march, I have sold probably another 50, mostly common. When they were selling from $100-200, I never had a single problem with any buyer. They would actually contact me about things and would freak out if they lost contact for more than 24 hours. Now, I'm selling games for $7.99 and I can't get half of them to pay. People that buy things like this on ebay bid with the intentions of paying and while they're crazy, they're good people. honestly...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, the stuff that sells high has the people that rush to pay cause they want it so bad. Out of over 200 auctions, I've always had the MOST trouble getting money from people that bid like a buck and won or that won with one or two bids on low priced items.....they tend not to pay. People that bid on stuff like that MoA always pay and usually quickly!
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's weird how people work, huh?
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Check out the bidding history and compare it to the factory sealed one:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws3/eBayISAPI....tem=3078337666

The under bidder is definitely legit and also smoking or drinking something. I think I picked up my complete copy for around $40 or $50 at most. $200 + is rediculous.

Danny

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You guys will enjoy this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3073638719

You can tell what the end result was by looking at the winner's feedback.
    American NES games left to beat: 3
    Last 3 NES games beaten: Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, Nobunaga's Ambition II and Gemfire
    (Updated: 7/21/10)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    roxxybaby

I'm confused, how can someone who's not even a registered user bid on an item?? Or did they win the auction and then, oops, cancel the membership?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The puke won 3 of my auctions, then proceeded to never email me. Apparently he did it to several others. His feedback rating was 2 when he bid on the auctions and after all his negative feedback, it went down to -5.

I'm not really sure what constitutes a suspension of account on eBay.
    Last 3 NES games beaten: Romance of the Three Kingdoms II, Nobunaga's Ambition II and Gemfire

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Speaking of people that never pay for their auctions. I had a bidder win 2 of my auctions. Never paid.....every email actually bounced. So I sent 2 NPB alerts, and i noticed he had one negative in the past day or two so I emailed that seller and he said he filed one as well. So, I knew that by filing 2 I would either get my money or get rid of another loser on ebay. Got my money earlier, pending echeck. If it bounces.....somebody might pay....

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Haha, and I saw fcastle187 bidding up and down the NES aisles. Heh, that's pretty quick for total burnout.

dave

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, that bag of dirt also won Duck Maze from me for a little over $100. I ended up settling for $50 for Duck Maze from one of the other bidders, which still isn't that shabby. I also got credit for the ending fees on the 3 games he scumbagged me on.

I still haven't sold HES Sidewinder yet. I will probably list it one more time and if that doesn't sell I will try to pass it off as the Microsoft Sidewinder Gamepad USB

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not sure whether I should laugh or cry seeing as how the "fucking idiot" that bid on the Mermaids of Atlantis game is me. I was under the impression the game was more rare since it's rarely on eBay that I've noticed. But whatever, I had the money to burn.

Anyways, while everyone can get a chuckle at my expence I'm sure nobody here that auctions games would do the public service of actually warning a bidder(s) of a games true value. No, you'll take the money and run and come back here to tell yet another story. So while I'm sure it's people like me that may inadvertantly rise NES prices as others might get the impression games are worth more than they truly are, it's y'all that do squat about it. Pretty funny, huh?

But really, I'm sure everyone here has made a mistake before and I'm no exception. Oh well. Live and learn.

Mr_Nihilism

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why on earth would we let me people know the value of something like that. If your idea of a fair value of something is different than ours, go on that instinct and buy what you feel. I'm sure you feel justified in your mind and that's great. The prices of NES stuff get more insane by the day and we're not going to go around telling people they're crazy.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just thought of it as a double standard of sorts. Let someone bid higher than what a game is (supposedly) worth, but then post here what an idiot he is. It's almost like a professor that doesn't teach the class but bashes the students for their ignorance.

I don't mean to give the impression I'm angry or anything as I'm just trying to put a different spin on things. One thing that doesn't seem to be calculated is the nostalgia factor and how it can effect an items worth. Yes, I feel reasonably justified in my purchase and that's really all that matters.

Rock on !

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well most people that post here see the auction well after it's finished. Sometimes auctions are posted here while they are still running, but that's only for big things. Usually somebody stumbles across something completed or something got mixed in with their searches that they just couldn't believe. And as well, all that matters is that you feel justified. And last of all, it takes 2 bidders to get a price that high so you're not totally alone. I'm glad you got a deal that was working for you because that's what ebay is all about.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Well, how about that. Welcome Mr. Nihilism, and before you slap the shit of us, be sure to introduce yourself in the VG forum thread of the same name, if you haven't already!

A couple things about this. Myself personally, did not see the auction end. I rarely, if ever, search for anything NES except for the extremely oddball/rare. Orrimarko has a habit of pointing out the NES stuff that goes for way too much. We're all still feeling the pain of the Panesian attack.

Speaking of that guy, if he showed up, I would defend what I said because I still think it's true - he set a precedent by grossly overpaying. Your Mermaids may not be as bad, as it's not considered the upper echelon of NES rarity/notability, and may go off as a fluke.

Something very important about using eBay: not getting caught in the moment and due diligence. If you get caught in the moment, it will just kill your wallet. If it's retail, it WILL be up again. There are not many things that won't be. (Protos pretty much being it)

Due diligence prevents these sort of things. This is the internet, you have resources. If it isn't in the completed auctions, that doesn't mean it's incredibly rare. There is DP, you can ask, there are numerous NES boards you can ask on, whether it's NESworld or the less-collecting NESforums. Numerous guides, including DP and even VGB are available. Some things have really no basis - one example is the complete Stadium Events dave of DL sold for $1800. It's the first time I saw a complete one up on eBay, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. However, for the Panesians or Mermaids, there have been many previous instances to base your research on. Also, when you're paying 3 figures for anything game collecting wise, ALWAYS make sure it's justified! The vast majority of game items are under that mark.

As far as contacting the buyer saying they're making a mistake. If I did that for Genesis, I'd have to make it a full time job. Is it our responsibility to fix your errors? And is it right to cost the seller money? The Panesian seller, btw, at the least lurks this board under the name nes_crazy... would he be happy if we jumped in, and cost him $1000? I know I'd be pissed if I was selling my Panesians (and if I got to that point, I'd be in DESPERATE need of money), and someone swooped in and cost me a grand. And what purpose would it serve? And would he, or even you, have listened to us?

Just my six or seven cents.

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

Hey, you really wanted the game, you bid high and you won it.

All that matters is that your happy with the item you purchased.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I think Mr. Nihilism brings up a good point. We have all made an eBay purchasing mistake at some time or another. Mine was paying $100 for a complete Tengen Tetris in summer of 2000. Why did I make that mistake: because I didn't know any better.

The moral of this story is ALWAYS RESEARCH. You have to with eBay because of the huge price extremes. For example: last summer I was looking for a complete Death Race by AGCI. I found one and watched the end of the auction. It hit $134!!! I checked the completed auctions to comfirm an average price, and the last 2 complete ones had gone for $43.77 and $17.50. One guy paid $17.50 for the exact same item as the guy who paid $134!

I don't think that "whatever makes you happy" is the bottom line. Everybody likes to save money and make their dollars stretch as far as possible. To do that in the nes collecting world requires due dilligence: RESEARCH. RESEARCH. RESEARCH.
    "And remember ladies: if it ain't tight, it ain't right!"