Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NES Mermaids of Atlantis - WTF??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd
    Orrimarko has a habit of pointing out the NES stuff that goes for way too much. We're all still feeling the pain of the Panesian attack.
    Wow, "a habit"? I know you didn't mean anything Dave, and I'm not the sensative type to even take this the wrong way, but I have only posted two threads on this subforum about NES prices. But, at least someone's reading them.

Due diligence prevents these sort of things. This is the internet, you have resources. If it isn't in the completed auctions, that doesn't mean it's incredibly rare. There is DP, you can ask, there are numerous NES boards you can ask on, whether it's NESworld or the less-collecting NESforums. Numerous guides, including DP and even VGB are available. Some things have really no basis - one example is the complete Stadium Events dave of DL sold for $1800. It's the first time I saw a complete one up on eBay, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one. However, for the Panesians or Mermaids, there have been many previous instances to base your research on. Also, when you're paying 3 figures for anything game collecting wise, ALWAYS make sure it's justified! The vast majority of game items are under that mark..
    My point in posting this was simple. If you do a search on eBay of all the NES games available for a certain title - even for that day - you would have seen a SEALED Mermaids of Atlantis for a hell of a lot less money. Dave summed it up nicely - there are plenty of reasons to "give someone shit" for overpaying for an item because they were uneducated. However, before you get defensive and imply that it's the "community's responsibility" to inform the buyer of potential mistakes, remember that we are NOT a Neighborhood Watch group. We would however, answer any question you posted ahead of time - and I would bet that you wouldn't make the same mistake again.

As far as contacting the buyer saying they're making a mistake. If I did that for Genesis, I'd have to make it a full time job. Is it our responsibility to fix your errors? And is it right to cost the seller money? The Panesian seller, btw, at the least lurks this board under the name nes_crazy... would he be happy if we jumped in, and cost him $1000? I know I'd be pissed if I was selling my Panesians (and if I got to that point, I'd be in DESPERATE need of money), and someone swooped in and cost me a grand. And what purpose would it serve? And would he, or even you, have listened to us?
    It's no one elses business to interfere in a potential sale - you should have a ceiling for your purchase, and if it goes higher than that, let it go. Interfering with sales is actually cause to get kicked out of eBay.

Biggest reason I get pissed with people who grossly overpay for games is this:

Every time a game gets sold for 3x, 5x, 10x what it normally goes for, helps to set a precedent. The next guy who has a Mermaids of Atlantis may see that someone paid $200+ for it. Thus he wants at least $80 - maybe more. Also, potential buyers now believe that it's worth that much, and the price gets artificially increased. Dealers pull this shit all the time - praying on the impulsive and uninformed. It hurts the hobby, and can be resolved if people took the time to do a little homework.

Laugh at that rational if you want, but I think the evidence speaks for itself.

Christ - there are STRATEGY GUIDES that go for $80 - $100+!!! Totally ridiculous. As long as there are those willing to pay it, there will be those willing to sell it to them. Simple as that.

Good luck to you, seriously.

And yeah for me - I just got my peach!
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Orrimarko: I have no problem with what you do! Yes, I based it off the two things you posted, hehe, I'm sorry! No ill will to you whatsoever!

But, to back up what you said more so, precedents are ugly things. Eventually, NES collections will fall pray to price jumps that will make a complete collection (not even including NWCs) more and more difficult. Not saying that title availability will be the issue, but desire to throw down the cash will be.

Prime example: Neo Geo. I'm sure a lot of us would like to have a full, well rounded NG collection - I know I would! But when there are no "dirt common cheap" titles, even stepping into the ring is a tough choice!

Another example, more pertinent: The Panesians. The recent thread was chock full of "Well, there goes any hope of getting these" or "I'll pass".

We don't want prices to rise. Sure, when we eventually cash out, we want top dollar, but for now, we'd like things to lie low as possible.

To back up what Dr. Morbis has said, do you jump right into the stock market, saying gimme 100 shares of this or that blindly? No, you research first, and find the ones with the same profit potential. Collecting is the same way.

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mr_nihilism
    I just thought of it as a double standard of sorts. Let someone bid higher than what a game is (supposedly) worth, but then post here what an idiot he is. It's almost like a professor that doesn't teach the class but bashes the students for their ignorance.
    Give it up dude, I've pointed out numerous hypocrisies over time here and the only response you're sure to get is a holier then tho attitude. As far as warning bidders about an item's worth though, that's called bid interferance and it's against eBay's rules. By all means though join the boards cause there is a ton to actually learn here. Besides, the more the merrier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Alright, when thinking about it I see it your way as how there's certainly no obligation to warn anyone about prices. Auction interference would be a no no for sure. As I said before I was just trying to give an alternative viewpoint even though maybe there really wasn't one to give.

And yes, the resources are out there to take advantage of. Like here

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Like here
    And the best part is... welcome to the fold. You can now join us when we spot eBay insanity and ridicule it, mwhaha, one of us, ONE OF US, ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US!!!!11

dave

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OMG DAVE, L O L

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Like here
    And the best part is... welcome to the fold. You can now join us when we spot eBay insanity and ridicule it, mwhaha, one of us, ONE OF US, ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US!!!!11

dave
    Once again, Dave, you are in rare form!

Danny