Thread: Think I should buy this Pinball machine?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Think I should buy this Pinball machine?

I know someone selling a Travel Time pinball machine
    http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?any=tr...ype=quick#2636

He wan't 200 CND for it but it's in mintish shape and works flawlessly.

I don't currently have any coin ops or pinball machines but I'd really like to get one or two. Problem is i'm in a tiny ass aprt, so my living room will suddenly be more crammed. Also I'm gonna have to rent a van to pick it up.

He also has two other machines that (I quote) "need work" for $60 each.
    Not sure what models as I have to speak to him again.

I think my best bet is to drop by and see what they look like, if the two that need work look half decent I figure I'll pick em up and see what I can do with them.
    (I might have to attempt to convince the gf that a pb machine would look nice in her spare room though)

So a few questions..... since my option is pretty much the Travel Time or the two iffy machines.. which do you think I should go for?
    Also is that a decent price for such a machine?

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

I would personally buy it for that. $200 CDN isnt too much considering how much most pinball machines cost.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Pinball machines aren't my area of knowledge, but here's what I do know.

That's a 70's machine. Pinball Machines aren't like Arcade Games with minimal moving parts. There are bumpers, springs, flippers, and rubber bands. All of that stuff needs to be periodically adjusted, replaced, oiled, etc. Again, I've never owned one, but I know that buying a 30 year old machine that wasn't maintained properly could be work later on down the road.

Pinball Machines are like arcade games with mechanical moving parts adding into the mix. That's a lot more things to go wrong, so buy wisely!

Let us know how it goes, that's a good price if the machine is in decent shape and working well.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At those prices I would scoop up all three. I can not resist a bargin and those prices are bargins. I am not a collector of PB Machines, but I would think a good shape, working machine of that era would be worth between $500-$1000. Even the ones that need work, if complete should be worth way more than $60. Maybe take a stab at reselling them. I am sure you could find a site to help you. Also check ebay for comparable prices.

You have space issues though and pinball machines take a lot of it. Bottom line is if you can deal with it in your cramped Apartment. If you can the price is right.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's an EM game (or electo-mechanical) which means that 99% of what breaksa is stuff that can be fixed. You'll only need to spend money on pinball rubbers, wax and pinballs, but that isn't too bad.

Be really careful to consistently wax the game, or else you'll demolish the playfield. Replace the balls on a regular basis. If the ball has any rust on it, get a new one. That's the easiest way to ruin a game.

$200.00 is a good price if the game truly works, but EM games are an acquired taste for many people (I prefer a lot of them, but most people don't.) Really good EM games can be had for around $400.00 USD, so if it is mint it is a good deal. If it is in bad shape, it's an average price.

Depends on what the other games are too. If they are pinballs, unless you know what you are doing and are willing to spend a ton of time on them, skip them. I've spent hundreds getting one of my machines to look good, and it was a solid state that has pretty common parts. Finding EM parts is insanely difficult, and often times you'll spend more money fixing the game than you did buying it.
    Dan Loosen
    http://www.goatstore.com/ - http://www.midwestgamingclassic.com/
    ** Trying to finish up an overly complete Dreamcast collection... want to help? (Updated 5/3/10!) http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61333

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude... you are living in an apartment, don't even consider buying a pinball machine. Your living space is at a premium. At best it will end up being unused in your living room, at worst it will irritate you and prevent you from getting laid. Girls don't like pinball machines that are in view at all times.

Wait until you have a dedicated gaming room before making that leap.
    I, Garland, shall knock you all down!

Strawberry (Level 2) LazingBlazers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PartsJohn

Quote Originally Posted by Britboy
    at worst it will irritate you and prevent you from getting laid. Girls don't like pinball machines that are in view at all times.
    Do you speak from experience? I honestly don't think you're not going to get laid because of a friggin' pinball machine... unless there are some pretty goofy girls in NL... but then I've yet to own a pinball machine.

My advice is if you REALLY like the game... buy it. If not, skip it. You'll eventually come across other ones... good deal or not. But don't buy it just for the sole reason that it may be a good deal... unless you know you can turn a profit anytime you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

An old girlfriend of mine wanted to get laid ON a pinball table?

If yer chick don't like games you got the wrong chick.