Thread: Bad experience with a seller

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Bad experience with a seller

If this belongs in another forum, moving it is no problem. Needless to say, I purchased MADDEN NFL 98 off EBAY.

Here's the description:

"Game is in perfect condition and includes manual. The case has a crack in the side of it. "

*game description*

"Shipping and handling: US $3.50 (within United States)
    Buyer pays for all shipping costs
    Shipping insurance: Not offered
    Will ship to United States only.
    Seller's payment instructions & return policy:
    Buyer will pay $3.50 shipping. There will be no returns. Check the item description carefully before bidding. Item is exactly as described. Thanks so much!!"

-----------------------------------------------

I got it in today, the case is obviously smashed on all places, but the disc has fingerprints all over it and has a quite a bit of very noticeable scratches. WTF?! I paid $1.50 for it, plus an additional $3.50 shipping ($5 total, most as I'd pay for this haha), but HELLO!!? I sent this email to the seller...not sure what the response will be:

"I received this game today and the game is FAR from 'perfect condition'. The disc has fingerprints all over it and there is quite a few scratches. Although the case is smashed, the disc still wouldn't be able to move around and get scratched in shipping. Please email me back on this, I would like to request a refund.

Thanks,
    Brian"

I will now wait for a reply. I bet it will be "read item description, no refunds". If so, why should I listen to this? If he is not serious about his descriptions, why should I take anything else he has said seriously? Seller hasn't left feedback (figures! typical of thieves..).

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

That's one of the things I hate about buying things off Ebay. There are some folks who just don't give two craps about the item making it to the bidder in the same condition as when it left their hands.

I think you've done all you can, and the ball is solely in his court now. He can either be a cool guy or a dick about it, and if things turn bad it's honestly isn't worth drawing the situation out since it will get you nowhere and frustrate you.

If the seller won't budge on his "no returns" policy, don't leave him a neg, as you'll be neg'd in retaliation. I just wouldn't leave any feedback on it at all--unless he leaves you a positive first.

Good luck on that, and I'll see if I've got a spare Madden '98 for ya.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

His description says "no returns" but doesn't say anything about refunds Maybe you can catch him on a technicality? What method did you use to pay him? Have you tried the game out yet to see if it works at all?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by punkoffgirl
    His description says "no returns" but doesn't say anything about refunds Maybe you can catch him on a technicality? What method did you use to pay him? Have you tried the game out yet to see if it works at all?
    I have not tried it. I assume it would work. I paid with PayPal. The thing is I already have a copy of this game that I paid for $2, that has scratches on it. I was just looking for a "mint" replacement for it. This does absolutely no good, and I would not pay $5 for a scratched up sports game...I could get this ANYWHERE (just not w/o scratches). Obviously I bought it for that reason and this seller lied in the description.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

I've had a recent problem with something similar. Bidded on a "excellent condition copy of Sword of the Berserk. No visible scratches." It came in the mail yesterday and the case was a bit beat up. No big deal, I can replace that rather easily. Looked at the disc, it had been refurbished with a disc doctor. Had a nice daisy design all around it. Emailed the seller, trying to be fair, by telling him his auction did not say the disc had been refurbished, and I would NOT have bidded on it had I known. I'm still waiting for him to emai me back. >_<

I paid 10 something for it with shipping, so its not a huge loss. However, it really pisses me off and he'll receive a nice negative feedback because of it. Though I decided to wait for a response before doing that..unless he doesn't email me within a few days.
    RIP Kamino. 1984-2010. Yes, yes I do like nes...

<+skaar> Maybe you should ask yourself "What is it about me that makes men not want to let me penetrate them?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It just depends on your seller.

I bought a copy of RayStorm because the disc and manual were stated to be in mint condition, which they were far from. I emailed the guy and he gave me a partial refund, and I kept the game. He was also very nice about the whole thing.

If your seller turns out to be a prick, theres really not much you can do. You can neg him, but thats about it. You can also try and fight it through eBay, but at the $20 charge, its not worth it. If you try and fight it through Paypal, just remember that you can only do it once per year.

(Someone correct me if the policies have changed)