Thread: Best Genesis Cartridge sources.....

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best Genesis Cartridge sources.....

Just wondering where people find the majority of their Genesis carts.(like beyond EB/Gamestop)+ Thought this might be timely with Gamestop getting out of the 16 bit market. I've recently discovered "Gamecrazy" -they seem to have a good selection but still semi-outrageous prices. like $20 for a loose Herzog Zwei, although they did have a stack of Gamegears at $25 a pop.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

I like Ebay for a couple reasons. Wide variety. And relatively cheap prices for Genesis games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    nildem
    PSN
    nildem
    Steam
    nildem

I've gotten nearly all of my Genesis carts, 100+, through the local thrift stores and flea markets. Another place to try would be pawn shops, but if your area is anything like mine, don't expect to find much there. I've also found a good amount of Genesis stuff, all common though, at garage sales and rummage sales.

EDIT:
    Another method you may want to try is to purchase large Genesis lots off of eBay, then immediately reselling the console and duplicate games to make some of your money back. Time consuming and initially expensive, yes, but I've found this method to work very well with SNES carts, paying around 3-4 dollars each after all is done.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Having an assload of Genesis games, I've learned that Genesis = abundant + cheap. This is for the time being, as I've ranted on in the past, as prices are starting to rise, so if you want to start, START NOW!

My breakdown goes something like this:

40% - Gamestores (Funcostop 90%, EB 10%)
    40% - eBay (Large lots 75%, individual auctions 25%)
    30% - Private sales (50/50 trades, sales)

Gamestores: I love Funco. I'll admit it. Their policies are ass, but their Genny prices are making fuck. Even as long ago as two years ago, they were fantastic. And then they implimented no game higher than $9.99. So you can find a copy of Pirates or Shining Force II for $10 each! Sick, especially since eBay prices are above that nicely.

I'd also like to thank my Funco friends, who did me the favor of saving those Genny boxes they'd just throw away. 1/3 of my boxes came from them.

Now with Funcostop not taking them in any more, your options are less from these guys. When the great exodus occurs, find the store near you that's getting all the discontinued stuff - gold mine.

EB kinda sucks shit, as they're prices are definitely overinflated, seeming to never budge on pricing a game below $5. More proof EB sucks.

Mom and pops are great as well, as you can finds loads of sealed games, and even batches of empty boxes! If you're looking for sealed Genny love, McVans in Fort Wayne, IN has a great selection, if a bit overpriced.

eBay: As when starting a new system, a bulk lot is the way to go. Diluted prices, thanks to averages are the way to go. Even complete games can go for $2-$3 per game shipped. You have to watch out for large amounts of sports games! Thankfully, you can get your fill on those with DIRT cheap lots (less than $1 per game!).

Avoid the reshrinked loose game blast packs. You'll just want the boxes in the end, and believe me, they are a PAAAAAIN to get otherwise. You can luck out with box lots, or like I did, with a guy selling individual boxes.

As with everything, try and localize your buying by getting multiple games from one seller. It goes a LONG way in driving your price per game overall down.

Private sales: Did I mention that this board is great for that sort of thing? ;D

dave

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I went to a pawn shop the other day that had approximately 150 Genesis games. Of course 140 of them were sports titles. All of them were $3 each, loose.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default help

@Portnoyd -- Wow that's gotta be one of the most comprehensive thread answers i've ever seen.(You were one of those kids who filled the whole notebook on those essay tests right?)

[If you're looking for sealed Genny love, McVans in Fort Wayne, IN has a great selection, if a bit overpriced. ]
    -That's awesome -now how do I get there from Foxboro, Mass?

Seriously thank you for the input. I actually have around 350 Genny games already, I was just seeking ideas for alternate sources and trying to keep with Joe's theme 'o' the week.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am starting to see more Genesis games pop up in thrift stores as well, especially Value Village and Goodwill. Pawn shops are good places too.

CD/Game Exchange is a good place for Genesis carts, although oddly, they only have stores in Cleveland, OH, Cinninati, OH, Portland, OR, Eugene, OR, and the Baltimore/Wash DC area. If you live in any of the above mentioned cities check that place out.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

kilmatron8, hey, no problem McVans has a website, but I don't know it off hand. The tip was generally for those in Indiana... I've been there once when I went out to Indiana. I know they had a sealed Phantasy Star III, which is the only game I can remember, as something like that stands out.

Thanks for the compliment

dave