Thread: Wolfenstein... 3-D, that is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ContraVania

Default Wolfenstein... 3-D, that is.

Ah, Wolfenstein. Who else played this all the time when it first came out? I grew up sneaking around Castle Wolfenstien, Hollehammer, the Third Reich, and the like. Ah, the cries of "ACHTUNG!" when a guard spots you, the unexpected appearences of the Schustaffel, (erm, SS, don't know how you pronounce it) and having to deal with the brutal bosses at the end of each chapter... it's all golden nostalgia to me. I must have been playing W3D ever since I was... like, four? Forever, practically.

So, here, we talk about one of Id Software's breakthrough titles. Say whatcha like 'bout the game. What can I say? The secret level of Chapter 3 is the best secret ever. EVER.
    That's it! Next stop: The Junkyard. Population: You!

My college show: The Spirit of Radio, Tuesdays 8-9 p.m. EST = http://www2.etown.edu/clubs_orgs/wwec/listen.asp

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

You know, I've never played the full game. I've only ever played the 8 level shareware demo version!!

And it is about my favorite 8 level demo ever.

Actually, it is the last FPS game I ever really liked as well, Doom was ok, but after that, the controls got too complex. Once I had to start looking up and down, and using my mouse as well as the keyboard...it was all over for me and FPS games.
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

I liked Wolf3D a lot too, but there really wasn't a lot of variety in the game. Aside from new levels, some new wall textures, and a handful of new enemies, I don't recall the registered version adding much.

However, there is an excellent version of Wolfenstein 3D on the Jaguar... much nicer graphics, more weapons, automap, and somewhat shorter overall so things don't get boring. It adds to the game without screwing up the simple effectiveness of it.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The original was an all time great! When the 3d version came out it was the talk of the town. I remember magazine articles of the period questioning had game violence become to real... If they only knew what was to come! If I remember right Germany banned it!

And yes Pacman on level 3 is a blast.
    Aha! Now we see the violence inherent in the system!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oh yes, what a great game! Played this one for many years on the old PC and I still break it out every once in a while. I agree the C64 versions were good, ID took this great series to another level with this game.

Danny

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me the hardest boss always been the mad doctor who shooting you syringes.
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sniperCCJVQ
    For me the hardest boss always been the mad doctor who shooting you syringes.
    You need to master the straffe mode (where you can go from side to side without moving forward). If you can do that, he is really easy to beat. Otherwise, the invincibility code helps too.

Danny

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader
    You need to master the straffe mode (where you can go from side to side without moving forward). If you can do that, he is really easy to beat. Otherwise, the invincibility code helps too.
    Oh! i know that

There's always been a little rivalty between me and the doctor.
    Oh eBay! you are such a pain, I am addicted to you like crack cocaine. You offer things I cannot find in stores,You are the pimp, and we are all your whores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I always felt like that on Wolfenstein 3D, ID gave people TOO much in the shareware version. I never bought the game, simply because I never tired of playing the shareware release. By the time I beat the shareware levels, Spear of Destiny was released, and I played the shareware version of IT!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Arqueologia_Digital's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like Wolfenstein 3D a lot and i finished the game after hours of continous playing and pacience...it costed me one arm and the two eyes . I didnīt like Spear of destiny...
    Oh, another cool game like that was Catacomb 3D, anybody remember it???, also from ID Software

Matías

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by TNTPLUST
    I remember magazine articles of the period questioning had game violence become to real...
    I love the irony of people complaining about video game violence when the game in question is based (loosely) on actual human history.

Quote Originally Posted by Arqueologia_Digital
    Oh, another cool game like that was Catacomb 3D, anybody remember it???
    Yeah, I remember that one... it was very similar, except that it was stuck with EGA graphics while Wolf3D enjoyed VGA glory. Also, I'm fairly certain that it wasn't made by id, but by Apogee themselves (Apogee also distributed Wolfenstein 3D, so things get a little complicated). Incidentally, Catacomb Abyss is partly based on an even older CGA game called simply "Catacomb". It was a very simple overhead view game in which you ran around and blasted demons and such, and you could even strafe. It was extremely fun! I think it was only available through "On Disk Monthly"... I've been trying to find it for a while now with no luck. I should go through all my ODM's again, but I might have copied over that disk

By the way, are there any good ports of Wolfenstein 3D like there are of Doom? All I've seen so far are half-finished projects like this. I guess WolfenDOOM probably outdoes any source port anyways, but it's just not the same somehow.

--Zero

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Those were great games back in the day...but for some reason when I go back to play them now I get ill. Maybe I just can't handle 3D without the vision-bob built-in to the newer games...
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?