Thread: Newest DREAMCAST game at stores now!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Newest DREAMCAST game at stores now!

... online stores, anyway.

The arcade shooter Psyvariar 2: The Will to Fabricate was just released for the Dreamcast (evidently ithe arcade original runs on Naomi/Dreamcast hardware) with a PS2 port coming soon. I got my copy yesterday, and I am impressed. I would have played it more, but I went out drinking beer to celebrate the game's arrival by FedEx. Evidently it sold out in Japan. I'm sure they will do a re-release.

It's a very cool vertical shooter similar to Radiant Silvergun, Ikaruga, and the like. It features excellent graphics (2-D shmuping over 3-D graphics) and a cool scoring system where getting nicked by gunfire can rack up some SERIOUS points, though the game itself appears to be pretty short. Perhaps I should try in on a setting harder than limp-wristed wimp (or "monkey mode" in some Japanese games.) The game's designers certainly were in love with pyrotecnic fire/explosions effects, and the DC delivers. Slowdown is minimal except during the end of the boss battles where the screen just lights up... perhaps it's intentional.

Here's a link to NCSX....

http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/T-9907M.html
    I recommend picking it up as it may very well be the second-to-last shooter released for the DC (commercial software, that is.) JapanVideoGames may have it too, but their shipping prices suck ass. Both firms offer excellent service and pick up the damn phone when you call. NCSX especially.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey maybe we will see more like this! Wouldn't it be great if the dreamcast made a big comeback? I mean of course Sega would have to END a LOT of contracts over microsoft, sony, and nintendo, but still, wouldn't it be great?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wouldn't be so sure of a reprint. Border down sold out quickly. I saw the LE in Medialand yesterday for 12,000 yen. Trader 2 didnt' have any, and will buy it for 7000 yen ( so will probably sell it for 10,000). In actuality, you can buy it a bit cheaper, but those stores paying that much for it is a sign that it will probably go up in value.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm glad they still make games for DC, if only in Japan.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    I wouldn't be so sure of a reprint. Border down sold out quickly. I saw the LE in Medialand yesterday for 12,000 yen. Trader 2 didnt' have any, and will buy it for 7000 yen ( so will probably sell it for 10,000). In actuality, you can buy it a bit cheaper, but those stores paying that much for it is a sign that it will probably go up in value.
    (about) How much is 12,000 yen? I've been tempted to get LE editions on many occasions, but I end up with the regular version because I have an obsessive-complusive personality and would then feel the need to hunt down ALL the LE games (I think someone who frequents this board is trying to do that.) I'll just stick with the regular editions. My DC collection isn't that big, but I have all the shooters.

I understand that "Atomiswave" (or something spelled similarly) is a low-cost (obviously) arcade board similar to the Dreamcast hardware and that SNK is dropping the ancient MVS hardware and going exclusively to Atomiswave. Isn't this a bit behind the times? I would guess that the Atomiswave is a bit more powerful than the DC (and chip-based to boot, not GDrom) but I wonder why they don't switch to some of the more powerful hardware, even the X-Box based hardware (Chiharo or something like that) or at least Naomi-2 hardware. At least SNK is going forward, but using cheap, less powerful hardware.

That being said, I'd love to keep seeing DC ports... maybe the Atomiswave ain't so bad after all!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Aboard a pirate ship, sailing towards adventure.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

100 yen is roughly $1, so 12000 yen is roughly $120

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Atomiswave is still fully capable of doing 2d games, and it's not as expensive as alot of those other hardware types.

I doubt you'll see much in way of atomiswave ports on DC...after all, GGXX and #Reload didn't pop up on DC. The DC is near dead in japan, and most of the games to come out recently were cheap ports of the NAOMI versions of arcade games.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default !

It's strange to hear that the DC is "near dead" and yet still be happy about it... near dead is certainly better than completely, deader than shite dead, as the DC is here is the States.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shikigami no Shiro II comes out next month as well. I'm hoping there's a few more big releases before it dies out, and I'm hoping the last release is something other than a dating sim.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GaijinPunch
    Shikigami no Shiro II comes out next month as well. I'm hoping there's a few more big releases before it dies out, and I'm hoping the last release is something other than a dating sim.
    Yes, indeed, I am looking forward to this one as well, though I fear it may be the last shooter on the DC.

What does this game compare to, GajinPunch? What's the closest game to it on the Saturn or the DC? Do you know when exactly it's coming out? I've heard late March, but can't get an exact date. I've certainly never seen it in an arcade. Of couse, I haven't seen an actual arcade in a while either. Figures.

Love your site, by the way. Still go fairly often to graze. It was very helpful in my quest to get all the Saturn shooters. Schooled me on Night Striker S, you did.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Hmm, DC's gotten a nice recent revivial lately between Psyvariar 2: The Will to Fabricate release and the Beats of Rage homebrew.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's said that SNK will release 3 atomiswave ports to the DC this year!
    One can hope Metal Slug 5 is one of them