Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: d

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

Awww, come on no replies? I'm pretty surprised....I don't believe there's ever been a thread on these before.

Hand down your knowledge, oh knowledgeable ones!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

D? Wha?

x_x

+1

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that he is reffering to the games. I have never played one though. Which one is the best?
    Cool people I have bought stuff from on this board: orrimarrko kyosuke75 dave2236 video_game_addict cloudstrife29661 NESCollector75

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Best. Topic. Title. Ever.

I've never really had much of an interest in the D games myself. To me, they seemed to be like Myst, which was way to slow for my tastes.

Ironically, one of my favorite games ever is Shadowgate (NES), a point-and-clicker.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Seriously, I've almost picked up D2 a dozen or more times. I HATE cinematic video games, but for some reason this one always seemed sooo over the top, I've been intrigued to check it out. I have a hunch I'd hate it, that's why I've never actually purchased it.

Still, this series seems like the type that would have rabit fanboys, but I've never met anyone who actually steps up and declairs this BEST...GAME...EVAR! Hopefully someone who loves them some D will rise to the occasion because I'm curious as to what the fuss is all about.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    Seriously, I've almost picked up D2 a dozen or more times. I HATE cinematic video games, but for some reason this one always seemed sooo over the top, I've been intrigued to check it out. I have a hunch I'd hate it, that's why I've never actually purchased it.

Still, this series seems like the type that would have rabit fanboys, but I've never met anyone who actually steps up and declairs this BEST...GAME...EVAR! Hopefully someone who loves them some D will rise to the occasion because I'm curious as to what the fuss is all about.
    I have a feeling you'd like it a lot. D2 is MUCH better than D, IMHO. Where D was a very "on rails" puzzle adventure, D2 allows you to do some exploring and has actual action sequences. As cool as the original D was, to me it always seemed like an animated Myst or 7th Guest. It was more about plot and puzzles than D2, which is more about plot and action (and is in itself a survival horror game, not a puzzle solving game).

BUY.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All I remeber about the first D was it was sllooooooowwwwww on the load times.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

D was a fun Saturn title. my friend and I always had issues with the boulder chasing you.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

typos and all, my review from a few years ago:
    http://www.gametour.com/site/review.php/title/680

enjoy!

also, if you've a saturn...get enemy zero, hands down, one of the scariest games ever...sometimes, lol...

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Heh, my friend Sue and I rented the PSX version from a video store before Resident Evil came out. For months we'd crank people on the phone and say "Laurrrrra...Laurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrra... .LAURA!!!!" until we laughed so hard we'd wet ourselves.

Ah, the simpler days of college.

Seriously though, towards the end when you find out what happened to Laura's mother was a true WTF moment.

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tynstar
    All I remeber about the first D was it was sllooooooowwwwww on the load times.
    huh? the overall pacing of the game was sloooooooow (and deliberately so), but other than the game loading up when whatever system it was on was powered up, there's no loading at all. i have all the console (and pc) versions of d (warp-head that i am), and i definitely can say there's no slow loadin' to be found...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One of my friends had a copy of D for the PSX. He was going to give it to me for free, but then he opened the case to discover the game was missing. The disc was nowhere to be found. Bummer.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace
    One of my friends had a copy of D for the PSX. He was going to give it to me for free, but then he opened the case to discover the game was missing. The disc was nowhere to be found. Bummer.
    well, given that it's a 2 disc game, you should be TWICE as bummed...

anyway, try tracking down a game for the ps called juggernaut (tonkin house/jaleco, 1999)- it's even more creepy, much longer, and recommended if you like (or ever get to play) D...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They were alright I guess but I had my issues with them. D1 is designed to be won in less than an hour and after playing it enough it can be won in 7 minutes or less if the load times are good. My biggest complaint is the story of the first one and second one not only don't overlap, but contradict eachother in terms of Laura's origin. If there isn't going to be continuity, why not call it something else like they did with Enemy Zero????

Also my friend Chris said watching me play D2, made him feel like he was on crack, and even though I've never tried, and I'm pretty sure he hasn't either, ... I kinda felt that way too.

On a scale of 1-10, D = 5, D2 = 6.5
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Silljo
    They were alright I guess but I had my issues with them. D1 is designed to be won in less than an hour and after playing it enough it can be won in 7 minutes or less if the load times are good. My biggest complaint is the story of the first one and second one not only don't overlap, but contradict eachother in terms of Laura's origin. If there isn't going to be continuity, why not call it something else like they did with Enemy Zero????

Also my friend Chris said watching me play D2, made him feel like he was on crack, and even though I've never tried, and I'm pretty sure he hasn't either, ... I kinda felt that way too.

On a scale of 1-10, D = 5, D2 = 6.5
    er...i really hope you were tryng to be funny- it's IMPOSSIBLE to play through the D in "7 minutes or less", thanks to the game's pacing. that, and the fact that the game has 3 different endings (good/bad/time over) definitely makes it slightly replayable to the curious. you CAN make it through in under an hour, though (i think something like 40-45 minutes). even if you knew all the solutions to the puzzles, you can't skip ANY of the cinematic or dialogue sequences in the game once it starts, and again, WHAT load times? the game streams data off the disc, so there's no accessing other than the inital load your console goes through and the time it takes for the second disc to load up once you change it.

as for the name differences- if you knew the confusing history of the game between D and D2, you'd understand (then again, maybe not- it's pretty kooky! read on): the original sequel to D was a direct follow up and slated for the 3DO M2, but the M2 project died (after a good deal of the game was done). that version of D2 featured a pregnant laura on a plane that crashed in the intro movie, and her unborn child ending up in a medieval castle seeking out his father! i think laura was to die in the intro, but the time travel thing probably would have revived her and solved the mystery behind who the old man was. early trailers for the game featured vlad tepes (aka vlad the impaler or the "original" inspiration for dracula), and i think the plot had something to do with him grieving over the untimely death of his lovely wife and vowing some sort of cosmic revenge

anyway , kenji eno was friends with a top sega head, and when he heard of the dreamcast, he moved the project to that system (it was the very first game announced for the DC), and made major changes to the story. the only things that remained form the original sequel was the airplane, laura, her compact, and superficial references to the first D.

what most people get confused about is warp's decision to create a troupe of virtual actors to star in it's last few games. laura, parker, and kimberly from D2 show up in enemy zero, but have different last names. think of it as warp's ensemble cast, and it makes more sense...i hope

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by geelw
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSpace
    well, given that it's a 2 disc game, you should be TWICE as bummed...

anyway, try tracking down a game for the ps called juggernaut (tonkin house/jaleco, 1999)- it's even more creepy, much longer, and recommended if you like (or ever get to play) D...
    2 discs? Wow. If I knew as much on PSX as I knew on SNES...

I'll definitely look for juggernaut. In fact, I think I may have saw it somewhere before. Probably Gamestop or something.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

geelw wrote:
    you should be TWICE as bummed...
    Actually, 3 times as bummed- my longbox version was 3 discs!
    I got the plastic longbox version for under $6 in great condition. I played thru a few times, taking notes as I went & finally beat it under an hour. I saw all endings, so I sold it for 5x what I paid. Not bad for an early PS title.

I subsequently found Juggernaut, another GREAT 3-disc game- I posted about it recently in the "Scariest Games" thread. It's a fantastic surreal point-&-click adventure & really stands up even against games of today! I have a copy (w/ a glitchy disc 3) for sale cheap!

BTW- it's "D", not "d". I thought it was a typo at first.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RJ
    geelw wrote:
    you should be TWICE as bummed...
    Actually, 3 times as bummed- my longbox version was 3 discs!
    I got the plastic longbox version for under $6 in great condition. I played thru a few times, taking notes as I went & finally beat it under an hour. I saw all endings, so I sold it for 5x what I paid. Not bad for an early PS title.

I subsequently found Juggernaut, another GREAT 3-disc game- I posted about it recently in the "Scariest Games" thread. It's a fantastic surreal point-&-click adventure & really stands up even against games of today! I have a copy (w/ a glitchy disc 3) for sale cheap!

BTW- it's "D", not "d". I thought it was a typo at first.
    you're abstatootley right, ! i was thinkin' of the 3DO version. the playstation version is based off the import "D no shokotaku- complete graphics" which has additional footage not found in the original 3DO release AND has cleaned up visuals in the second part of the game (once you get to the revolving room). glad you liked juggernaut! ever try shadow tower? now THAT'S one damn scary game..

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

Hey Greg, maybe you'd know this. I used to own a copy of "D's Diner: The Director's Cut" for the 3DO. It came with a two-song music cd, but the game itself was supposedly an uncut version of the game. I didn't notice much if any difference between that version and the PSX version. Was this "Director's Cut" simply a port from the PSX version? I never played the 3DO one so I couldn't tell any differences. Oh, and the DC version was in Japanese too and had some sort of interactive novel thing on one of the discs as well. Any clue what that was all about?

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of the Felines
    Hey Greg, maybe you'd know this. I used to own a copy of "D's Diner: The Director's Cut" for the 3DO. It came with a two-song music cd, but the game itself was supposedly an uncut version of the game. I didn't notice much if any difference between that version and the PSX version. Was this "Director's Cut" simply a port from the PSX version? I never played the 3DO one so I couldn't tell any differences. Oh, and the DC version was in Japanese too and had some sort of interactive novel thing on one of the discs as well. Any clue what that was all about?

Kristine
    funny you should ask- the game is actually the same as the ps version, but it also has a slightly different opening sequence, and i think a few seconds more footage at the beginning. there are also some unlockable bonuses on one of the director's cut discs, but i'll need to open up more stuff by playing through the game again (i got the D trailers and one other thing i forget)- it's been a while!

i'm not sure if warp ported/coded the psx version then went back to the 3DO for old time's sake, lol. the novel is a recorc of laura's life up to the time her dad goes nuts at the beginning of the first D. there's a LOT of kooky stuff in there- i need to get it translated fully one day. some of the events lead up to the original version of D2 with the castle and vlad and all that good stuff. i think eno got lost in his own story mess, and the dc version of D2 was a way for him to finally get at least something out.

in the credits to D2, eno thanks hideo kojima, and judging by some of the movies later in the game, it's easy to see that he looked to metal gear solid's deeper aspects (the whole anti-nuke deal) for some of what he did in D2...

here's something interesting: if you have the japanese version of D2, you can actually use the save data for the US game (and vice versa). also, there's a hidden movie on the D2 import, but you need to own a second warp dc import, real sound kaze no regret. this has a second disc which has a D2 demo on it with a slightly different (and longer) opening movie, a fun snowmobile race segment, a boss battle, and some music tracks in addition to the save file that unlocks the movie. sega snipped it from the us version, but i dunno how to pop a dc disc into a pc and check all the files. i can do history, i'm just bad at math, lol...