Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best size TV for gaming?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best size TV for gaming?

Obvious "opinion" thread, but what would you say?

When I stand close to my 20" flat screen tv, it seems to be about the size I remember old arcade monitors to be..however, perhaps I should get a 27" flat screen tv and use that for gaming only or something. Anyone play games on a HUGE tv and does it look like crap with the older games (16 bit and earlier)?

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

little tv + older games =

big tv + newer games = kickass gaming!

"Fear our 3 diffrent kinds of ships" - Space Invaders

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Besides being a video game nut, I'm also a huge videophile. Basically, I can tell you the best possible display device that you can get, you just need to tell me the maximum amount of money you are willing to spend, and which systems you think you will primarily play on it.

If you plan on playing primarily Dreamcast, PS2, Cube and XBOX, then definitely get a set that can display progressive scan signals.

If you plan on playing TurboGrafx-16, Genesis, SNES, Sega CD, Jaguar, 32X, Saturn, Playstation and N64 on it, then definitely get a RGB monitor and the necessary RGB cables.

If you plan on playing primarily the NES and earlier systems, just get an old TV that has a decent picture tube.

But I can honestly say that if you tell me which systems you want to play on it, and how much money you want to spend, then I can tell you the ideal display device.

On a side note, I can tell you what the absolute ultimate display device under 2 grand is. It would be a InFocus X1 DLP Front Projector and a 93 inch high contrast widescreen display screen. The InFocus sells for $999.99 and you can get a very nice screen for another $999.99. Yes, unfortunately those damn screens are expensive.

However, once you see a game like Project Gotham Racing 2 on a 93 inch widescreen Home Theater like screen, you will be in total gaming heaven. The downside, is that you need a relatively large room, and a room that can be darkened.

I actually might use my Garage for this. It's relatively large, and it can be darkened. And I would only use it on special occasions when I want to blow me or my friends away, by the sheer grandiose experience of it all. Of course DVD's look freaking amazing as well on a 93 inch Widescreen Home Theater screen, and also you can hook a HDTV reciever up to it, and see stuff like the SuperBowl in near HDTV quality on a 93 inch screen. It's totally freaking amazing that for 2 grand you can get the equivalent of what a King of a small European country had in their castles in the late 80's for like 50 grand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

My Zenith 27" HDTV is juuuuust right . The Turbo looks nice on it, as do the Xbox and Gamecube, so it's the one for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    tholly1983
    PSN
    tholly

I have a 27" RCA TV w/ VPort that allows you to hook up an XBox directly to the TV using a special Cable. The cable looks like the XBox adapter on both ends and has an optical sound output built right into the cable. I would have to say that this is the biggest TV I have ever owned and it looks really nice in my bedroom and all video games look great on it. When I bought it, it was $350, so I am sure it has to be under $300 by now.
    Collection Pics--RFGen List--Excel Collection Spreadsheet
    Wii: 6005 4631 6751 2174 -- PS3: tholly -- X360: tholly1983

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i got a used beamer on ebay, it's ideal for both old and new consoles, i really can recommend that ^^

i've got a problem with certain xbox games though, they don't work correctly on the beamer (there's a convergence shift in the picture). does anyone if certain xbox games used different 'resolutions'? like, one that works would be morrowind, but one that doesn't is panzer dragoon orta for example.
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default re.

I have a rca 36 inch. I use it with ps 2 and genesis. It looks great
    Spider.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Toshiba 42 inch widescreen HDTV...XBOX looks incredible...720p = WOW
    one time collector of consoles...I've had them all, literally. I'm now selling everything to raise money for Northwest Harvest, a charity that provides food and clothing for families in need in the Northwestern United States.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony1
    On a side note, I can tell you what the absolute ultimate display device under 2 grand is. It would be a InFocus X1 DLP Front Projector and a 93 inch high contrast widescreen display screen. The InFocus sells for $999.99 and you can get a very nice screen for another $999.99. Yes, unfortunately those damn screens are expensive.

However, once you see a game like Project Gotham Racing 2 on a 93 inch widescreen Home Theater like screen, you will be in total gaming heaven. The downside, is that you need a relatively large room, and a room that can be darkened.
    You should probably mention the requirement of mounting the projector as well as the inability to walk in front of it, cutting off most of the room as far as usable space goes once the projector is on. Of course, if you don't have a wallspace suitable for 93", you can always move the projector closer for a smaller image.
    Seeking display quality copy of I Want My Mommy for the 2600... if you have one, PM me, I will pay/trade well.

Great Puma (Level 12) Sylentwulf's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never seen a TV that was "too big" for gaming. I sit about 6-7 feet away from my 47" WS with no problems at all.
    Rend, slaughter, devour your enemies. There is no other way to survive. You cannot escape your hunger, Warriors of Purgatory

DP Users get 8% off at www.ElectricQuarter.com using coupon code Digipress5

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

I've got a Samsung 27" Dynaflat TV. It's a flat screen, capable of displaying up to 1080i. And I paid like $1000 new for it a few years ago. It's awesome.

I think they're going for less than $500 now.

On somewhat of a budget? This is the one to get.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwulf
    I've never seen a TV that was "too big" for gaming. I sit about 6-7 feet away from my 47" WS with no problems at all.
    I guess like you say it depends on how far you sit away.

I have more fun playing on the 32 " 3-4 feet away , than on my 61" 3-4 foot away. And once you get 6-7 feet away it looks the same size as the 32" 3-4 feet away....

Awwww the mind boggles . Is this somehow related to Einsteins theory of Relativity ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been using a spare 20" for my NES as I don't use the tv in the living-room. I'm thinking of buying a new one though (nothing fancy) and was just wondering would games still look fine on a 27 or perhaps a 32" screen? Thanks.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Older games are good on a 19-32 inch TV. Dreamcast and up the bigger the better as long as it is a good TV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love my 27 inch Sony Wega. It seems like a great all-around TV, with its flat screen, 16:9 mode (works way better than you'd think), and variety of input types.

One feature that I really like about it (that might be common nowadays) is the auto-switching between composite and s-video. It has one input that has both types of video connections, and I'm running both types from my video game shelf. Some systems output composite, some output s-video, and the TV is able to detect which signal is present when I switch from one console to the other, and it automatically displays the image. So I can switch between NES composite and Dreamcast s-video just by hitting a button on the AV Selector switches.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

Quote Originally Posted by tynstar
    Older games are good on a 19-32 inch TV. Dreamcast and up the bigger the better as long as it is a good TV.
    Thats what I think to. Games for Atari wont look any better on a 48 inch flat screen..

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    o 8BIT 1337 o
    PSN
    jggruetz

I've just recently 'upgraded' both my 'current gen' TV and my 'retro gen' TV (basically I bought a new TV and the old TV became my retro TV).

For me personally, I find that the 14" TV I was using before was just *way* too small. I don't think I'd want to go smaller than the 27" I'm using now, but if I ever saw a really good flat screen 21" TV I'd use it for my retro stuff in a heartbeat.

I agree - for the newer consoles you want to go at least S-video on a good quality screen (since doesn't matter as much as picture quality). I use S-video because it's easy to get a switch box to accomodate my PS2/GC/Xbox/DC gaming needs
    Time will be when the broadest river dries
    And the great cities wane and last descend
    Into the dust, for all things have an end

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was thinking of using a TV for all systems. Just thought perhaps 27" might be the biggest I could go without making my 8 and 16 bit systems look like crap. What I have right now is a "20" Samsung Dynaflat Analog"....from a few years ago. Horrible buzzing audio (but luckilly has audio out which I use instead)...but AWESOME picture. Specs in the manual state 800 lines of horizontal resolution. This is an ANALOG 20"! That's the same res as some larger HDTVs. I wish I could have picked up a larger one of the same model year. Either way, I am thinking that when I get an all-around gaming TV, it will be HDTV compatible, though not widescreen (but if it has widescreen enhancements like my Samsung does, bonus there).

The last 2 years of Samsung models look worse I might end up going with a Sony or a Panasonic. Back when I bought the Samsung, it had a better picture than the Sonys, Panasonics, and Toshibas, and strangely, it was the cheapest in price (tied with the Toshibas).

$370 shipped for the 20"...oh how they've dropped in price since. There were only 4 models to choose from then.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What a great topic! I primarily use a 27" JVC in my video game room, but I like the looks of gaming on my 32" Toshiba in the family room. My wife usually kicks me off that one, so back to the 27" I go!!

E.--
    DC--- It's STILL thinking....!!

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Manimal
    AWESOME picture. Specs in the manual state 800 lines of horizontal resolution. This is an ANALOG 20"!
    NTSC maxes out at 550 horizontal. You'd need a digital output to see all 800 lines.

I use 27" for TV and all games. Ideal for seeing the whole screen at the same time (crucial for action games).

17" for PC gaming (close view)...probably too big.

I think the most important feature is the cable. Don't use anything less than S-video otherwise your picture will be all blurry. Yuk.
    Wakka Wakka Wakka - CHOMP -
    NINTENDO: NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER
    "Have You Played Atari Today?"