Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playing old DOS games on new PC's?

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Playing old DOS games on new PC's?

I been thinking about collecting some of my old favorite PC's games recently (Space Quest series, LSL series, Cannon Fodder, etc)

Yesterday I downloaded Cannon Fodder for DOS. When I ran it, it would just go to a black screen and that's it.

What do I have to do to run old dos games? I'm running win2000.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Re: Playing old DOS games on new PC's?

Think this would've done well in the forum that's dedicated to Vintage Computer Gaming...but then I don't visit it much.

I hear DOSBox is a good DOS emulator, but I have had absolutely no luck with it. It's out there, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish I had an easy answer for you butta.. I use an old Sony Viao computer with WIN98 that a friend gave to me to play pre NT kernal games on.. it resides in my bedroom as a music server lol. but I use it mostly to play Eye of the Beholder and DOOM when I can't sleep.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

There are two major problems you'll run into trying to play classic games: speed, and compatibility.

Speed problems are easily fixed. Tech TV has a list of programs that will help you slow down your computer for the purpose of playing older games.

The compatiblity issue is a bit tougher. There are quite a few older games that are not compatibile with Windows 2000's DOS. The bad news is, XP and 2003 are even worse. If you're truly hardcore, you can set up your machine to dual boot and leave a DOS partition (or at most a Win98 partition) to play some of those classics. I have an old 486 dx4/100 box sitting around just for this purpose.

I have heard about (but haven't tried) programs like Microsoft's Virtual PC where you can set up a virtual computer on your computer ... then set up that virtual computer to run DOS and play the games that way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound/ is the first step. This will allow you to emulate Sound Blaster sound for DOS games. Basically all you do is right click on the executable and select VDMSound from the menu and off you go.

Next would be to check www.ntcompatible.com to see if anyone has attempted to run the game you are interested in and what notes they left about getting it to work.

Depending on your CPU speed you may need to get one of those CPU slow down programs. The names of them escape me at the moment as I haven't really used them.

I've heard for emulating a slower PC Dosbox works, but I haven't really used it. VirtualPC works well but be prepared to pay a good chunk o' money for it.

Your best bet is to either install another hard drive or create a new FAT16 partition on your exisiting drive and either install DOS (then switch back and forth with a boot loader like System Commander) or boot with a disk. Then just pray your sound card is DOS and Sound Blaster compatible. The next best thing, if you have the room, is to get an older PC and a KVM box.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack
    I have heard about (but haven't tried) programs like Microsoft's Virtual PC where you can set up a virtual computer on your computer ... then set up that virtual computer to run DOS and play the games that way.
    I've tried the demo of VPC and it actually works well provided you have the CPU power to get decent emulation. My Athlon 600 couldn't quite play Pirates Gold that well but games like Jetpack were pretty OK, to give you a rough idea. I haven't tried it on my new Athlon 2200 yet.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Connectix VPC works great and you can pick up the full version for cheap on ebay. Here's the thing about VPC, take whatever your computer spec are and cut them in half and thats what you'll have to play with when using VPC. Also if you have a fancy video card forget about it because VPC uses an emulated video driver but dont be discouraged from that because like I said it works great!

I am building a second PC (win98SE) to use in my mame cabinet that will also double as a DOS machine for older games. This costs me under $300 bucks using second hand parts and I'm sure you could come in even cheaper if you look around or already have old parts on hand.

Other options include setting up a daul boot system with win98 on one partition and win2k on the other or pick up a second hard drive and format it using win98 and just do a hard drive swap.

You might find http://www.ntcompatible.com/ helpful in figuring out how to get some DOS compatiblity going for certain games or setting up a dual boot system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Conversely if you want to play the old Sierra games you could try Sarien

http://sarien.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I definitly gotta remember this topic for later.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oops, I forgot this forum was here. x_x

Thanks for the info everyone, looks like I may have some work to do.

Shitty thing is, my dad just gave away an old computer to the neighbors. I coulda used that thing.

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Butta if i can ask, where'd you download CF from?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

DOSBox really is coming along spectacularly. The latest 0.61 version is slightly problematic for me, but 0.60 suits my needs.

Bochs is another idea. It is slow and difficult to configure, but it seems to be very compatible.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

DOSBox doesn't do everything. I set up my older 266MHz with MS-DOS 6.22 so that I can play the old classics. It runs beautifully...the original System Shock plays in all its 640x480 glory! The rest of the stuff (Virtual PC, partition) is just too much of a pain, considering how easy it is to find an old PC and install DOS / Win 3.1 / etc.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I use win98 and just edit the config.sys line to NOEMS on the extended memory line. Does the trick "with win98 anyway". For sound I just edit the autoexec.bat of course to include setpath=SB.

I think there is a way to edit these same lines on XP, but it involves a different procedure. I know i've read about it though, haven't tried though.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer
    DOSBox doesn't do everything. I set up my older 266MHz with MS-DOS 6.22 so that I can play the old classics.
    This is probably the best bet... old school Pentium's can be had for fairly cheap, so the only real problem is that you have to find somewhere to actually set up yet another computer, which can be a pain in the butt. If you can find a cheap, older laptop, that would be much more convenient.

If you're really committed, and you really know your way around a computer, then you might be able to set your computer up to dual boot between DOS and Windows (and any other OS's you're interested in). You'll have to fiddle around with partitions, install a bootloader ([url=http://www.gnu.org/directory/grub.html]GRUB is a good one), and you'll still have issues with DOS possibly not being able to access your Windows partition (NTFS isn't DOS friendly), and finding DOS drivers for some of the more recent hardware might be tricky.

If you take any of the above options, you might also want to learn how to write menu's into your autoexec.bat and config.sys files. I used to do this "back in the days" in order to convince extremely finnicky games to run (Ultima VII comes to mind) and to be able to get the maximum amount of free RAM out of the system with the proper drivers loaded for specific games without bothering with boot disks. In fact, I even went as far as to "install" certain games onto disks that would automatically boot into DOS (also on the disk) and run the program with whatever drivers were needed... Unfortunately, you can't do this with large games, but it's handy for smaller games like Scorched Earth.

Dosbox is a good alternative though. It's not perfect yet, and you still need some pretty beefy hardware to run things perfectly... but it's getting better all the time.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've actually just begun to rebuild a bunch of old systems that I have lying around the house. My current favorite project is a 486 DX2 running DOS 6.2. I can tell you that it beats the hell out of that Virtual PC stuff. It's like a time warp to 10 years ago for me. Maybe I can find somebody locally to take me on with a DOOM direct connect 14.4kbps death match.

I'm replaying Betrayal at Krondor right now and loving every second of it.

I think that I have 3 other 486 systems and maybe 2 Pentium systems at home that aren't doing much right now but at least 2 more should be operational by the end of the weekend. Any pre-plug and play ISA hardware and hard drives under 2 gigs are like gold to me right now .

If I get a little crazy, I might try to get one of those 486 systems on a DSL connection.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Smashy
    I can tell you that it beats the hell out of that Virtual PC stuff. It's like a time warp to 10 years ago for me. Maybe I can find somebody locally to take me on with a DOOM direct connect 14.4kbps death match.
    What was the name of that Doom dial-up service? They had them in different cities and you paid 10 bucks a month to play. This was 1994, on the eve of the Web becoming popular. Can't think of their name.

You're right about the virtual PC stuff. Using an old computer (if you have one) is much more satisfying in the same way that using an actual console is more satisfying than an emulator.

Just before we left for overseas, I found two pcs in my neighbor's trash: a 486/DX2 80 (I think it was an AMD chip) system with an old monitor and a 420 MB hard drive and another which I don't actually remember specifically but it was in the same speed class. I'm going to find a null-modem cable and see if I can get any two player games working the old fashioned way.

If one doesn't have a few old PCs lying around, I also recommend DOSbox with Moslo. It seems to run what would've run on a 8088 up to a 286. It doesn't handle anything in protected mode and I don't think it emulates fast enough for any 386 level stuff, (at least on my p4 1.8ghz) though I've yet to really push it as I've just been dumping Infocom stuff into it. Heh.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by buttasuperb
    Oops, I forgot this forum was here. x_x

Thanks for the info everyone, looks like I may have some work to do.

Shitty thing is, my dad just gave away an old computer to the neighbors. I coulda used that thing.
    Old companies are literally awash in old P133's with 32 meg ram etc.. also I run acruss old PC's at Goodwill all the time.

This summer, while garage sale hunting, ask if they have any older computers they like to get rid of.. I've been doing that for 3 years to get oooolder stuff but usually I get showed a 486dx66 that they say, "$5?"

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    so the only real problem is that you have to find somewhere to actually set up yet another computer, which can be a pain in the butt.
    This is a problem I have In order to make my place look nice and less "geeky" My collection computers reside in the closet.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My solution is to play the Commodore 64 or Amiga versions. Or else console versions. Not an elegant solution but I HATE messing with DOS.
    Wakka Wakka Wakka - CHOMP -
    NINTENDO: NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER
    "Have You Played Atari Today?"