Thread: The Curse of the Green Number 3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Default The Curse of the Green Number 3

After a long day of moving into my first apartment, my two best friends and I were ready for a break. The apartment wasn't much more than a glorified hole in the wall, but that hadn't stopped me from cramming it completely full of stuff -- a fact my friends reminded me of at least once per trip up the flight of stairs.

Within an hour or so, we had assembled my new entertainment center which consisted of pieces of wood stacked on top of stolen and mismatched milk crates. While unpacking my box of living room stuff, one of my friends ran across my Super Nintendo.

"Dude, I didn't know you had one of these! Let's hook it up!"

While I began hooking up the Super Nintendo, my friends picked up my couch (a heavy sleeper sofa) and moved it to in front of my television. When they set it down, I heard a "crack" -- one of those cracks that, when you hear it, you instantly realize something just broke.

The three of us looked under the couch and instantly saw what had made that sound. My television remote, once flat, was now "V" shaped with a couch leg sitting in the middle of it. We scooted the couch back and pulled the remote out, but the damage was done. We laughed, tossed it aside, and sat down to begin gaming.

I finished hooking up the SNES, and turned both it and the television on. I returned to the couch, and when the TV warmed up, the three of us sat there looking at a big, green number 3, superimposed over the top of the Super Mario All Stars menu.

"You have to set the channels," my friend said. This was the first time I had turned on the TV since I moved, and it was one you had to manually set the channels in on.

I walked up to the television and read the buttons on the front of the set. "On, Volume Up, Volume Down, Channel Up, Channel Down," I said.

Slowly, the three of us turned our heads and looked at my remote, which now resembled a taco more than a tortilla.

I tried the "add channel" button on the remote, but it didn't work. In fact, with one of my friends squeezing the remote back together, all we could get to work was "7" and "Volume Up". Neither one were particularly helpful in this situation.

Eventually, we just decided to play. Imagine trying to play Super Mario Brothers with a big huge number 3 in the middle of the screen. The 3 stretched to within an inch of the top and bottom of the screen.

On the first level of SMB3, the plant that shoots at you from its tube was completely blocked by the 3.

"Look out, the 3 is shooting at you!" I yelled, and my friends began laughing.

Later, we played Mortal Kombat. Part of our new strategy was hiding behind the 3 and jumping out at just the right moment. At one point, my friend was foot sweeping me over and over and you couldn't see him at all.

"That 3 is kicking your butt!" my other friend screamed.

We played SNES deep into the night, laughing and cutting up and trying to see around a big huge number 3 in the middle of the screen that I lived with for the next several years. The Emerson television was not compatible with any of the universal remotes I tried. Worse yet, I called Emerson once and they quoted me $75 for a replacement remote -- for a 13" TV!

Believe it or not, I still have that TV. On my fifth wedding anniversary, seven years after this story took place, my wife surprised me with a replacement remote control for my TV. After seven years, I was finally freed from the big green 3 that had cursed my television for so many years.

I still own this TV, and it's currently hooked up in the corner of my game room with a NES, SNES, N64 and Sega Genesis all hooked up to it. Whenever I play games on it, I often think of the big ugly 3 that haunted it for so long.

The remote, however, is kept in a safe place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Holger Czukay

Similar story...I bought a perfect TV from a garage sale for $10...probably 16 or 17 inches. Everything about it was perfect, except for the green "VIDEO" in the upper-right corner. And no universal remote worked with the damn thing, either.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think you 3 may be a little obsessed 3 with this number, it 3 could become a serious 3 problem. Perhaps you should seek 3 help....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I am moving into a new house and this past weekend I donated this television to Goodwill.

Goodbye, "3".

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

My friend Sean has a song with the lyrics "whenever 2 is 3, it becomes 9"

Maybe that means when someone buys your old TV it will be stuck with a green 9 someday.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flack View Post
    I am moving into a new house and this past weekend I donated this television to Goodwill.
    Not to completely derail this thread but Goodwill rarely puts old CRT TVs in their store, in fact I see pallets of them in the backlot going to the dump... >_>

Cough*EspeciallyaTVwithabig3burnedintothescreen*co ugh
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaan1234 View Post
    Not to completely derail this thread but Goodwill rarely puts old CRT TVs in their store, in fact I see pallets of them in the backlot going to the dump... >_>

Cough*EspeciallyaTVwithabig3burnedintothescreen*co ugh
    Oh cool. so in other words, for free dumping, drop off your old computer and TV stuff at Goodwill's door
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rickstilwell1 View Post
    Oh cool. so in other words, for free dumping, drop off your old computer and TV stuff at Goodwill's door
    Our Goodwill is actually partners with Dell's eCycle program. You can drop off anything electronic -- old computers, monitors, or televisions -- and what they can't sell, Dell will pick up and recycle. Anything Dell picks up, Goodwill gets paid for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

They get 'recycled' into the space between 2 mountains.

My friend has a remoteless 13" TV with this issue, but the 3 doesn't take up nearly as much of the screen. Still annoying though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've got a TV that always tries to do the channel set every time I turn it on (it's a hard power off each time since it's connected to a power strip). At first it was pretty annoying, but I've discovered that if I turn it on, then back off, then on again it'll skip the channel set.

It's kind of annoying but I'm happy to have a nice CRT for my older games

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Holy crap, Flack, I remember reading this story 7 years ago and laughing my ass of then. Still funny! I realized halfway through this was an ancient post, as it sounded familiar. Thanks for the laugh again!

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

That reminds me of one of my first TVs. I had just moved into my second place and needed a tv. I bought one at the flea market(yeah, I know, not the best place to get a TV). I was promised it worked great. Guess what??? It worked, ..............not so great though. The major problem was a huge green glow in the upper left corner of the TV. It covered the top-left corner of the TV(about 1/4 of the whole screen). You could see the picture through the green glow, but it looked weird and was very annoying. After living with it a few years, someone told me that it could be fixed. I took it in and the repair guy dragged a huge magnet across the screen. It worked, only a very small green glow was left(a few inches).

Anyways, gotta love the days when $10 was a huge amount of money and you just lived with problems cuz you didn't have the cash to fix anything. Now a days, everything is just throw-away products. Nothing is worth repairing. Sad.

Great Puma (Level 12) RetroYoungen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cy4nBlue
    PSN
    RetroYoungen
    3DS Friend
    0817-3748-2336

Quote Originally Posted by rbudrick View Post
    Holy crap, Flack, I remember reading this story 7 years ago and laughing my ass of then. Still funny! I realized halfway through this was an ancient post, as it sounded familiar. Thanks for the laugh again!

-Rob
    Same thought I had when hitting the forums today.