Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone here ever the first to do something in a game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Anyone here ever the first to do something in a game?

I seem to recall someone in Asia (HK if I remember) claiming they beat Shenmue first... or were at least the first to voice it on the internet. Needless to say, it was only some 20-30 hours after the game was released.

So, can anyone say that they were the first to beat xxx game, find xxx in a game before anyone else in the world?

I know it's a bit hard to guage, but I guess is possible.
    gamengai
    Best import site on the net.
    My for sale list

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think I was the first person to throw and break a dreamcast in blind rage after the 20th failure on a Zone of The Enders 2 mission.

Good thing it was a spare.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was the first person to have a letter printed in a videogame magazine (2nd issue of the original Electronic Games)
    Leonard Herman
    The Game Scholar
    Publisher of Historical Videogame Books
    http://www.rolentapress.com
    Phoenix 4 coming in 2014

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For all I knew, (although I'm sure it's not true) I was the first to find the 255+ shots for an extra life in Space Invaders Part 2.

All I know is I figured it out myself when I was a kid. I did it first by shooting shot after shot after shot on level 1.. while leaving the invaders to get to the lowest level.. then finding out I had an extra man when the stage ended! I used this apparently random technique for a long time, and it was only when I got a little older and wiser did I figure it was probably a rollover trick and the machine would award you an extra life if you killed the invaders in 55 shots or less (since there were 55 invaders). It only made sense. I confirmed this in Mame by setting the shot count to exactly 55 via the cheat menu and voila.. it awarded an extra man. At 56, there was no extra man awarded.

So up to that point I never heard anyone talk about it. I didn't see it on any Space Invader fan sites. I didn't see it in any Space Invader strategy guides ( on the net or in classic books or mags). So it seemed like I was the only one who knew!

Then I submitted it to Rogers Classic Arcade Tips and Tricks (is that page even still around?). Now it's everywhere. And the thing is they all use the same verbage from my original writeup :P

So I'm sure I wasn't the only person out there who knew this.. but up to this point I haven't heard from anyone else in the classic gaming community who had done it.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am probably the first, well and probably the only one to ever pee there pants while playing kung fu for the NES. I had to go so bad, but was playing so good that I didnt want to screw up, so I pee'd my pants and finished the level. I feel like a unit know.
    I like Nintendo's, They are Super.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

First to beat Space Quest 4 in 28 minutes.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Default d

I think I was the first to find the infinite lives glitch in Coleco tabletop DOnkey Kong.

Also, the first thing I ever did when I got Life Force (and before it was printed in any magazines), I did the 30 lives trick and it worked. My family and I were pretty amazed.

I think I was the first to figure out how to jump in Bionic Commando, but I dunno.

Hmmm, the very first day that Super Mario World (and the SNES) were out in America, I found the secret star levels, beat them all and beat the game. I HAD to have been one of the first in the country other than game reviewers to do that.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You can jump in Bionic Command?!?!?!?!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well, i'm pretty sure i've been the first european/german to finish/play some games (ok, reviewers don't count) but of course i do have no proof

i submitted a few new things to faq's of old games that were in NO faq for this game so i could be the first to do these things...
    -Jan

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was teh first person to own a PS2, out of my friends. Slightly on topic. :P
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am the first and (thus far) ONLY person in the world to break the 1 million point mark in Atari 2600 Halloween as recognized by the Twin Galaxies Intergalactic Scoreboard. So there.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A friend of mine does a Mario Kart 64 glitch that still hasn't been discovered by any one else. That is no easy thing since David Won has practically a monopoly on Kart 64 glitches. It's on a video tape he's sent me. Speaking of which we've been talking of posting the vid pretty soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was the first person to break 11,000 points on all the Beginner levels in Super Monkey Ball.. waaaayy back when that competition first started. Very tough to do at the time, and it took people a while to catch up. I'm awful compared to the guys that have taken over the leader boards there now, but I at least feel like I had some kind of an impact as far as helping to raise the bar a bit for that game.

I was also one of a few people from over at the gamefaqs boards who ended up having a level of their own design put into Super Monkey Ball 2. We had a "what level would you put in SMB2" topic going, and about 4 or 5 of the levels ended up in the game, in the exact places we placed them in our lists. I do believe someone e-mailed them and confirmed that they did get the ideas from the board as well. Kinda neat anyway.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

It is not documented as such, but my friend Kevin and I were the first ones to find the dot and the programmer's name in the Atari 2600 game Adventure.

Actually, I discovered the dot while exploring every little nook and cranny of the game. I wasn't looking for anything special (at the time, there was no such thing as an Easter Egg), I was just trying to see where the edges would lead me. After hours and hours and hours with the game, including taking tours with the bat while in the belly of a dragon and/or using the bridge to get behind the castle, etc, I was just curious to see what would happen if you tried to "escape" from the black castle maze. And there was that dot.

I couldn't figure out what to do with it, but I showed the thing to Kevin when we got together that weekend. Later that night, he called me up and walked me through the rest of the steps to get to Warren Robinett's name on that hidden screen.

We just figured EVERYONE knew about this, but it was months later when we read about it, in Atari Age Magazine, I think.

First or not, WE discovered it too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never see anyone mention the way to get Economizers for your entire party in the U.S. cartridge version of Final Fantasy III (6). It's odd, because it's really easy too. You just find the Brachiasaur and either have someone use the Esper which turns monsters into items or have Locke steal from it. It's random when it works, so you have to have patience, but it does work.

And Kefka is a total pussy when everyone in your party can cast Ultima for 1 MP.

I was also probably the first to discover that if you pressed a direction on controller 2 during the opening movie to Shining Force CD that it would play the opening dialogue in Japanese. It took over a year before gaming magazines started listing the trick I discovered on the release date of the game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by rolenta
    I was the first person to have a letter printed in a videogame magazine (2nd issue of the original Electronic Games) 8-)
    Now that's a one-of-a-kind for sure! :D

My "first" would be "First guy to figure out how to get outside where you're supposed to be in a certain cave in Zelda Wind Waker." Doesn't sound like much, but part the Zelda series is supposed to be really good at keeping the player from eploiting glitches, heh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioAllStar2600
    I was teh first person to own a PS2, out of my friends. Slightly on topic. :P
    I was the first person in my high school to own a NGPC, after winter break 5 more of them popped up o.o

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

I was the first person to write a FAQ on Gamefaqs for E.T., Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Riddle of the Sphinx.

Yeah, I rule.

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oh! That reminds me, I wrote the first "review" (though it sucked; I've got to update it) for the unreleased arcade game "Asylum." Suppose that counts for something, no?

Strawberry (Level 2) LazingBlazers's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PartsJohn

I was the first, and to my knowlege, am still the only person that knows how to get a bat to fight the Chintai at the end of Mission 2 in NES Double Dragon.