Thread: Swap Meet and Auction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Swap Meet and Auction

Hello,

While this will be my second CGE I have not participated in the Swap Meet and Auction before. How does one go about entering into the auction? How RARE do the items have to be? Will there be tables at the swap meet or is it on the floor? Finally is there a Consignment table at CGE? I thought I saw one last year...or did I dream it?
    Aha! Now we see the violence inherent in the system!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To enter an item you have to go before teh auction opens (i think 30 ins) and enter your item. You can put down a reserve, and opening bid. Small item description also. They filter stuff out, so people can't sell Combats, and broken systems. Just say yu cant enter garbage. Most stuff will make it to the auction block though.

With the changing of expo centers I do not know what the trade meet will be like.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What about the trade meets, somehow something so obvious still has me confused.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyT
    What about the trade meets, somehow something so obvious still has me confused.
    We've run a one hour swap meet in past years, just prior to the auction. That's likely to be MUCH better this year (last year was kinda crappy IMO) with a dedicated room separate from the auction so we can shift from place to place instead of rushing to get everyone in and out of the same room.

The San Jose Convention Center is PERFECT for what we do. Just wait and see!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ahhh some real informatino finaly. Yes last years Swap meet seemed chaotic although I did pick up a commodore SX-64 for $25! Here is my next question: What criteria should I use to decide if I should put something in the auction vs. swap meet? My guess if that only really rare or unusual stuff should go to the auction. I have been unable to attend the cge auctions in past years so I dont know what it is like. Last years CGE swap meet was held in a very crowded room. Most who brought stuff to the swap meet laid there stuff out on the floor as there were no tables and a small group of chairs. Do you think there will be tables this year? Why I ask is that I have some really neat things to bring, but if it is like last year I just want to bring the small stuff (IE no consoles, posters, other big bulky things).

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by TNTPLUST
    Ahhh some real informatino finaly. Yes last years Swap meet seemed chaotic although I did pick up a commodore SX-64 for $25! Here is my next question: What criteria should I use to decide if I should put something in the auction vs. swap meet? My guess if that only really rare or unusual stuff should go to the auction. I have been unable to attend the cge auctions in past years so I dont know what it is like. Last years CGE swap meet was held in a very crowded room. Most who brought stuff to the swap meet laid there stuff out on the floor as there were no tables and a small group of chairs. Do you think there will be tables this year? Why I ask is that I have some really neat things to bring, but if it is like last year I just want to bring the small stuff (IE no consoles, posters, other big bulky things).
    I can't say for sure exactly how things will be laid out yet and we haven't planned out the auction and swap meet, but if you followed the events leading up to last year's show you know that I am a fountain of information as things solidify. We've spent a significant amount of time getting our E3 exhibit together so you'll see CGE announcements rapid-fire after that event (late May).

I can promise that the experience will be a better one, in every way possible. Exactly how that's all going to happen shall unfold over the coming months!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, I have a question.
    In Vegas, wasn't there some city law preventing the sale of used goods inside city limits or something? Hence why people couldn't really sell much at the booths? Something like that? So that shouldn't be the case anymore in San Jose, right?

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That would seem odd as there are tons of pawnshops there. But who knwos, I am nto an expert on vegas law
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just ran into this Law this week. I stayed in Vegas 5 days. To entertain my 10 year old son we brought along our Dreamcast. Two days into the vacation it burns out its joypad ports. I look up Gamestops in the local area and find one 8 miles off the strip that has two Dreamcasts in stock. I purchase one but when I get back to the hotel it is DOA. I return to the store to get the other system and the salesguy says he cant sell it to me until 4:30. I ask him why do I have to wait 2 hours. He replies not 4:30 but 4/30/04. He explains the Las Vegas Pawnshop Law. Any retailer who buys/sells used products with serial numbers must hold that Item 30 days. This gives the the Police time to track down any stolen mechandise. He was dead serious too as I tried to bribe him 25 buck + the cost of the machine and he wouldn't budge.

Too Old for this Crap Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    QOF
    3DS Friend
    3308-4993-4867

That kinda makes sense since I'm sure a ton of stuff gets stolen and resold to help feed gambling addictions/debts.

Kristine
    "I am way too lesbian for that shit."

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That sounds like it would put a definite crimp on used game sales there
    You did what? With who? For how many cookies?
    Always looking for promotional materials and classic gaming commercials in print and video form
    my feedback-http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48618

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    VGKYOURMOM

Wisconsin has a 10 day waiting period