Thread: a comment on 32x scarcity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default a comment on 32x scarcity

i am just going to throw this out here from personal experience and see if anyone else agrees. the scarcity guide here lists spider-man as the rarest 32x game. this is over both t-mek and world series/deion sanders. then there are other 5-rarity games tied with deion and t-mek. i'm sorry, but compared to these three games, i feel all the others are easy to find (well, except possibly b.c. racers and brutal which may be in the same league with spider-man). i've collected for this system on a couple of occasions as i am primarily a genesis collector. but don't take my word for it. search all the database game-trading sites and auction houses. i BET you won't find a deion anywhere, and i would give heavy odds against you finding more than 1 t-mek. in comparison, you'll find 1 or 2 spider-man webs of fire carts around any given large auction site or gametz.

spider-man is definately the most expensive game; granted. but thats only becuase it's fairly scarce AND fun AND well known characters. t-mek is much harder to find though, imo, and deion sanders is nearly impossible!

so, here's my breakdown:
    deion sanders = 8
    t-mek = 7
    spider-man and bc racers = 6 (or bc racers may be a 5...)

or, altrnately:
    deion sanders = 7
    spider-man, bc racers, t-mek = 6

anyone else who has seriously collected for the 32x, please speak. it's entirely possible that this may be just my experience.

also, kolibri shouldn't be, imo, a 4. there are tons of those unopened still floating around. there was a clearance guy at ebay selling that as part of 9 unopened 32x game lots for $35.00 about a year ago (he also ran some wth unopened systems for $65!). i bought a couple from him. i also see that one around game stores/pawn shops/fleas fairly regularly. to put it as the same scarcity as star trek seems just wrong. star trek, imho may be under-rated in scarcity if kolibri isn't overrated.

keep in mind, i am not trying to be negatively critical, just trying to contribute to the accuracy of the guide and welcome being proven differently!

maybe someone would like to start a poll? i am a little too unkown here still to do it myself, i think. perhaps if a moderator feels this is poll-worthy,they can re-post this as one?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

It may be a Your Mileage May Vary type thing. I've never seen a Spider-man or BC Racers cart. I own the Deion game (got it boxed for 99 cents...the 4th time I saw it at the store), and have seen 3 others (although when I went back to buy them...they were gone) and the last time I went to my 32X source...at least 5 T-Mek's were there...3 of them boxed for $7 and hadn't moved in 2 years...
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by scooterb23
    It may be a Your Mileage May Vary type thing. I've never seen a Spider-man or BC Racers cart. I own the Deion game (got it boxed for 99 cents...the 4th time I saw it at the store), and have seen 3 others (although when I went back to buy them...they were gone) and the last time I went to my 32X source...at least 5 T-Mek's were there...3 of them boxed for $7 and hadn't moved in 2 years...
    entirely possible! :-) BUT, for a better nationwide view, try running some searches at ebay, yahoo auctions, gametz, and usenet. i have been doing so since i posted this and, i must say, i think it bears what i am saying out! blackthorne seems a little down on the scale as compared to others too...

i know these things can vary quite a bit by locale. i am also an avid comic collector and i have been amazed at how much money i can make buying stuff on my roadtrips and bringing it back home to sell to dealers! but that's just local scarcity and supply.

if you see t-meks for that price, you should definately buy and list at ebay. i got $30.00 shipped for my last complete one! probably won't have that luck if you list them all at once, but one at a time... the deions probably won't do as well, since they are sports titles, but still, if you can find me an extra, i'll be your bestest buddy!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Scooterb23

I'll do my best on the Deion's...although I struck out (haha) pretty embarrassingly last year...

I had a source with 3 of them, and they had been there for years...when I went back to get them...they had all mysteriously sold.

May have to go check on those T-Meks later this week...

See, I don't use eBay, or any of those other places, so I have no real idea what's rare or hard to find on those other sites
    gamesandgrub.blogspot.com - My blog about boardgames, and sometimes food.
    roomwithaviewmaster.tumblr.com - My blog about Viewmaster collecting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As I rarely find 32X games in the wild, I usually look to ebay for my collection. I have all the games except Spider-Man and Deion Sanders. While there have been many a times in the last I could have bid on Spider-Man auctions, I simply chose not due to the fact that I didn't want to spend that much on it. In the last year, I have seen 1 Deion Sanders game on ebay and I lost out on it. I think it went for around $20-$30 complete. So I agree that Deion is rarer. Spider-Man is more popular because its a better game and with all the Spider-Man licensing going on (Movies, DVDs, Games, Action Figures) the last few years.

T-Mek is a hard call for me. I got mine fairly early into my collection and I got it rather cheap. I agree that you don't see it much on ebay. About the same as BC Racers. Another game I found hard to find was Pitfall the Mayan Adventure. I don't know why. You would think of all the 32X games out there it would be the more easier to find.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I am making some adjustments but there are two things to consider:

1. eBay is not the only source of games, as Scooter points out. I've seen World Series Baseball on a number of occasions in local shops here. I AGREE that it's tough to find now however, but I've seen it in the wild and have never seen a Spider-man. So I've shifted a few titles around to get a little closer to "today". But Spidey stays a notch above the others only because it has a confirmed low print run. I'm not 100% certain about any of the other 32X titles.

2. The rarity ratings are global and cross-system. If you look at the 7's on the NES or the 2600, they should be as hard to find as a 7 on 32X. So no way does T-Mek or World Series fall into that category - at least not yet!

About a year ago when a few of us were rabidly hunting 32X and finalizing our collection, World Series was a stickler, but we all found them in less than a month. It's hard to put that in the "7" category.

Thanks TREMENDOUSLY for the feedback, however! These kinds of discussions are very much needed for us to keep on top of the lists. And I think you'll see that your suggestions were put to good use when we update the database later today.

Excellent work.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Picking up a handful of shrinkwrapped 32x games at Toys R Us for $2 each (BC Racers, Doom, Kolibri and a few others) got me started down this road...

But WSB was a pain to find, although a little patience on eBay paid off. I got Spiderman 32x off eBay included with a 32x system and a few other games for $30 total - it wasn't listed by name, and just appeared in one of the pictures.

The UK games are the hardest to find. Darxide and FIFA 32x just didn't see much daylight. Heck, I don't even have a Darxide...

Snorter
    Visit http://www.GenesisCollective.com for the most extensive Genesis database on the net.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by snorter
    The UK games are the hardest to find. Darxide and FIFA 32x just didn't see much daylight. Heck, I don't even have a Darxide...
    FIFA isn't that hard to find over here, at least not on eBay. The lesser-known PAL rarity is Primal Rage - much lower demand since it was also released in the US, but it's arguably rarer than DarXide.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by anagrama
    Quote Originally Posted by snorter
    FIFA isn't that hard to find over here, at least not on eBay. The lesser-known PAL rarity is Primal Rage - much lower demand since it was also released in the US, but it's arguably rarer than DarXide.
    it will have a higher rarity than DarXide in the guide update, i can say that, but we shouldn't make this info spread too much
    -Jan