Thread: Is this a rumor or is it true?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Is this a rumor or is it true?

Okay I've seen a couple posts the following weeks about Gamestop discontinuing it's 16bit/8bit merchandise. I live in So. Cal and have Three Gamestops close to me. 2 of them (Brea / City of Industry) still have older titles. The other store (Fullerton) Seems to have gotten rid of them. I have asked employees from all three stores and they all are either dumb or play it . I do notice the difference that the store that does not stock 16bit/8bit is about half the size as the other two. So does anyone have the scoop? Anyone in So. Cal know of any other gamestops stocking or not stocking?
    Aha! Now we see the violence inherent in the system!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

According to the gamestops by me they said some stores would have to send their stuff back and other stores would get them to close them out, but both of the gamestops close to me still carry it. I imagine they sent all the stuff back and it was distributed to the larger stores

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

According to what *I* heard, only the Gamestops in malls were getting rid of older games... because they want passerbys to grab what's new and what's new attracts buyers... while Gamestops that are standalone stores will keep them, because people are more likely to go out of their way to go to those stores and track down older games.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The one thats not in a mall near me cleared everything below ps2 and ps1,even Dreamcast, all that's left is psone ps2 and up
    My Collection:
    http://www.webspawner.com/users/atariman/index.html

My Want/Trade List
    http://www.webspawner.com/users/atariman2/index.html

Curren Totals:
    Games: 327
    Systems: 12

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spooie
    According to what *I* heard, only the Gamestops in malls were getting rid of older games... because they want passerbys to grab what's new and what's new attracts buyers... while Gamestops that are standalone stores will keep them, because people are more likely to go out of their way to go to those stores and track down older games.
    Judging from the dozen or so Gamestops I have been to since this happened, I would say this is a fairly accurate statement.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Two stand alones near me cleared out all their older stuff, sent it to two other stand alones near me. The stores that received the other store's stock are a good bit larger than the others. It may just be that they have the room, and so they get the stock.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by neuropolitique
    Two stand alones near me cleared out all their older stuff, sent it to two other stand alones near me. The stores that received the other store's stock are a good bit larger than the others. It may just be that they have the room, and so they get the stock.
    That's EXACTLY the case here in Austin. The GEN, NES, SNES and DC were shipped out from all of the stores to three. One's up North, one's closer to the city, and one is South. These stores have the room, and have good locations.
    Great to deal with: Leonk, AdamG, Cheesystick, DigitalPress, ButtaSuperb, Hydr0x, Darth Vader, Gary Gnu, Portnoyd, NexWave, Postermen, Kaine23, ARCZero, kai123, Buyatari, Minilek, DREW, bighab, AlanD, Flack

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Every game stop near me (So. Cal) has cleared out their older stock. I haven't seen any in the malls, but every stand alone I've been to has cleared everything out.

Radical Dude Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The GameStops near me still carry them and from what the manager said, they'll still get them shipped from other stores. The mall GS's never had any old games to begin with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i live in charlotte NC, but i imagine corporate policy will hold true throughout the states.

a NEW gamestop opened up across the street from where i work and they have the 30% off dreamcast everyone is talking about (no manuals/cases and only 15-20 titles). They confirmed that they weren't accepting trade-ins on old systems as of feb 22 (or somewhere around there i forgot)

my MAIN gamestop has NO clearance prices. I went there 3 weeks ago and they had 5 nes games...i figured that was it no more. then i went in last week and they had 15. so they either got some from another store or accepted trade-ins...i dunno i didn't ask (the kid that was working i try to avoid...when another is in there i'll ask)...they had the same usual dreamcast/snes stuff...just not on any kind of sale.

neither of these are in the mall and both are kinda big stores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whoisKeel
    my MAIN gamestop has NO clearance prices. I went there 3 weeks ago and they had 5 nes games...i figured that was it no more. then i went in last week and they had 15. so they either got some from another store or accepted trade-ins...
    Chances are it was probably the former.

I live in the Portland, OR area, and oddly, there's a mall with a Software Etc. (owned by Gamestop) and a shopping center near that mall with a Gamestop, and both still have all those games! I would have thought that with the two stores being as close as they are, they would have moved them all to one store.

None of the Portland stores that had NES, SNES, Genesis, and DC stuff before they stopped accepting trades have moved their stock to other stores. Interestingly, there's a Gamestop five blocks from my house, and every time I'm there, there seems to be the same amount of NES, SNES and Genesis stuff there as there was the last time I visited.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

same here in western ny, everything under 128bit consoles , including dreamcast, except ps1 is being dropped, talk to mike from gooddealgames.com he can tell ya a deff answer on the situation
    Got it in you?
    www.anipike.com