Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could get ugly! Rate the minor consoles!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Default Could get ugly! Rate the minor consoles!

There are the most successful consoles in their time, and there all the also rans, the hidden gems.

I rate the majors as follows:

Atari Video Computer System
    Nintendo Entertainment System
    Sega Genesis
    Super Nintendo
    Sony Playstation
    Nintendo 64
    Sony Playstation 2 (so far)

But I guess you could argue to add Colecovision, or remove Nintendo 64...

So what are some of the best and worst hidden gem consoles? I've left out Cube and Xbox since the jury's still out on them

For me:

BEST:
    Sega Dreamcast - this system first showed what refined 3D gaming would be. Plus it had great 2D games as well. A very hi ratio of interesting games. PS2 graphics not that much better. Almost all interesting import titles got a domestic release

TurboDUO - While not powerful enough to handle the like of Gunstar Heroes in terms of processing power, has an interesting and more colorful library. not as much FMV drivel as Sega CD and "Region Free" CDs a bonus.

Sega Saturn - Technically less 3D than PSOne, but not by much. Lots of Original Titles, Superior 2D and import friendly

MIDDLE:
    3DO - Solid early 3D, and some unique titles even though it's starting to age

Atari 5200 - less colorful than I'd like, but has a nice library of pre crash games, analogue games like centipede and missile command are a blast.

32X - dated, but has a surprising decent little library considering it's short lifespan.

WORST:
    Atari 7800 - Better graphics than 5200, but odd mix post crash material. Haven't tried the lightguns yet. Nice version of Food Fight tho...

Sega CD - some top notch games, but buried with FMV Multimedia Drivel.

Atari Jaguar - Early 3D hasn't aged well esp. frame rate. Lots of dog titles.

HAVEN'T PLAYED ENOUGH OF:
    Colecovision, Intellivision, Vectrex, Sega Master System

What's your take???

Ben
    le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Default Sega CD

For me, the Sega CD IS a hidden gem, with games such as Lunar I & II, Dark Wizzard, Shining Force CD, Sonic CD, it is funny that not more people collect it. That is ok if you dont like it, you may have not played these. I have all but about 20 games for the system, it rocks!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hmmmm, you seem to have left out the XBox and GameCube. You can't say you're not including current systems since you did list the PS2.

I would probably move 5200 up to the best. If you have a good joystick (i.e. Wico) then the games are a great deal of fun and are mostly very good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Default Re: Sega CD

Quote Originally Posted by swlovinist
    For me, the Sega CD IS a hidden gem, with games such as Lunar I & II, Dark Wizzard, Shining Force CD, Sonic CD, it is funny that not more people collect it. That is ok if you dont like it, you may have not played these. I have all but about 20 games for the system, it rocks!
    That's cool. I like several games on Sega CD a lot (Popful Mail, Earthworm Jim SE, Snatcher, and the Lunar games [but I like the PSX versions better]), but guess I ranked it lower because of all the crappy FMV games...

BTW I plan on editted my first post with some explanations on the choices later today...

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Quote Originally Posted by Rogmeister
    Hmmmm, you seem to have left out the XBox and GameCube. You can't say you're not including current systems since you did list the PS2.
    Editted to reflect this. Feel free to list either console though if you think they will be a hidden gem. I tend to wait until the next wave of consoles come out beforehand... Also feel free to do your own list
    le geek retrogaming

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Rogmeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I can't comment on the XBox since I have no real experience with it. It's the one current console I don't own. I'd probably put GameCube up there in the best category. True, a number of companies have turned their backs on it but the software that is coming out for it (Beyond Good & Evil, Prince of Persia, Viewtiful Joe, etc.) is mostly excellent...and Nintendo itself is always bringing out first-rate efforts.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I might switch the 3DO and Sega CD but otherwise I'm in agreement. To comment on two that were left out, I'd add SMS to the top tier and coleco, I dunno I almost want to make a tier between best and middle for it. High middle.

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me..

BEST: Vectrex, DC, Colecovision, Intellivision, Lynx, Saturn (if incl. imports)

MIDDLE: 5200, 7800, SMS, 3D0, Turbo

WORST: Jag, 32X, SegaCD, etc.

I don't think that any of the current three will be hidden gems. There's too much support for all of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BEST: Turbo Duo, Dreamcast, Saturn and Colecovision

MIDDLE: Atari 7800, 3DO, Sega CD, SMS and Intellivision

WORST: Philips CD-i, Atari 5200, Atari Jaguar/Jaguar CD and Sega 32X

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Best: Atari 7800, Saturn, Dreamcast, Neo Geo
    Middle: Colecovision, Intellivision, Sega CD
    Worst: Vis. Nothing is worse then the vis.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Going by your list of majors, my best would be Dreamcast, then Colecovision, followed VERY closely by the Vectrex.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

With an estimated user base of 3 to 6 million owners in 1986, the ColecoVision is hardly a "lesser" console.

It was also the last of the Great American Consoles.

Now, as for the poor 7800 and Jaguar...

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ColecoVision and Intellivision both have to be considered major players. Intellivision is just as big as the 2600 to some folks. And the CV: when Coleco showcased Donkey Kong AND touted it as the "pack-in" game, they almost single handedly turned the entire industry on its ear.

Anyhoo, faves:

Dreamcast - simply outstanding for all the reasons already mentioned. Plus it has the grooviest controllers - maracas.

Vectrex - Awesome doesn't begin to describe it. Self contained vector display, an excellent lineup of games, great controller and bitchin' overlays make this one super-duper. A must have console. Where else you gonna play Armor Attack and Cosmic Chasm?

ColecoVision - amazing library including an excellent ratio of good/bad titles and several coin-op conversions not available elsewhere (Pepper II, Looping, etc.)
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    On the border between sanity and insanity
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as hidden gem consoles go, I like the game gear. It's got quite a few really good games on it, like the tons of sonic games and tails adventure, and it also has some damn fine RPG's on it like crystal warriors and shining force. Only problem: It goes through batteries like mad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics
    ColecoVision and Intellivision both have to be considered major players. Intellivision is just as big as the 2600 to some folks. And the CV: when Coleco showcased Donkey Kong AND touted it as the "pack-in" game, they almost single handedly turned the entire industry on its ear.
    You very well may be right . And my take in the first post is just my take. But for the sake of discussion, compared to the genesis/snes 16 bit competition which was very close, didn't the atari 2600 do much better in sales than colecovision? Or is than an unfair comparison?

Ben!
    le geek retrogaming

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny thing is that the Turbo Duo is hardly a hidden gem to the japanese. The PC Engine had about 1000 games for it and had a very long run from 1987 to 1994 and even a few games trickled out later in 1995. Poor marketing screwed them in the US.

I assume handhelds weren't considered originally, but the biggest hidden gem of all things video game related has to be the Neo Geo Pocket. 30 US releases, about 43 european releases, and around 89 japanese releases. HUGE amount of quality for so few games. Very few bad games and still competes favorably with the GBA in terms of quality graphics.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite consoles overall...

-Dreamcast: This system has it all, PS2 quality graphics, Tons of 2D fighters, Best online play(back when all the games where still online ofcourse), Some awesome 4-player games(PowerStone 2 anyone?), the ability to surf the net, And so much more.

-Playstation 1: Although it doesn't have any exciting features or nice graphics, the PS1 has so many games it's incredible. IMO the PS1 has the best RPG's (besides the SNES). And it still has a lot of awesome exclusive games (too many to list).

-Genesis: I dunno why, but I always have liked this system better then the SNES... The reasons I like it are mainly because of Sonic/Streets of Rage/VectorMan/ect

-Saturn: So many great imports, Best controller ever, Lots of games that are still exclusive(NiGHTS/Panser Dragoon:Saga/Radiant Silvergun anyone?)

-Nintendo 64: Mainly because of two games...Perfect Dark and Goldeneye...

Favorite underrated consoles...

-Dreamcast: This system should have been number 1 in the 128 bit console wars, The DC really was to hard-core for this generation of gamers(no offense to anyone, but that is how it seems nowdays)

-Saturn: Even though I love the PS1, I gotta say that this system should have kicked it's ass! If the Saturn would have got all the games it has in the past, plus lasted until around 2001 and got all the games the PS1 did....it would have been the best system ever(IMO)

-Sega CD: I'm not sure why exactly, but I have always thought this system/addon was great. I just wish it wasen't flooded with all the FMV crap.

-Intellivision: I love this system, and I think it was fairly underrated. At first the system was over shadowed by the Atari 2600, then the videogame crash did even more damage. And just as the Intellivision was starting to slowly recover the NES finished it off totally.

Least favorite systems ever...

-N-Gage: This is the only system I actually hate, I dislike everything about it. From the crappy design to the lame ports of old PS1/Saturn games, everything about this "game" deck sucks!

-Virtual Boy: Good idea gone wrong! I actually liked this thing, the reason I put it on this list is because there just wasen't enough games for it.

-32X: Pretty much the same reasons as above, Not enough support and a high price tag.

Most overrated systems ever...

1.Playstation 2: Is it good? yes! Is it as good as PS1? Hell no! In the USA atleast the PS1 was the best of the 32/64 bit wars, but now that Sony isn't the best anymore I wonder how it continues to be called "Best system ever!" and get so much support. Not to mention Sony has made some really stupid mistakes: Making defective/cheap units, Only having 2 controller ports, Not including a modem and harddrive, ect. And yet their still in the lead!

2.There is no 2nd PS2 is the only system I can think of at the moment that is really overrated.

Worst system ever...

...That would be N-Gage!

Systems I don't know much about but want to get...

-Atari 2600
    -3D0
    -Jaguar
    -Vectrex

*Puts on flame suit* I think I'm gonna need this!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Favorite console/computer (why don't you guys never like computers???):

1972 Odyssey, VCS, XE, C-64 (those four are my loves, I can spend hours with these even still today)

Middle of the road:

PC, iMac, SMS, Coleco, 5200, Amiga, SNES, CD32, 3DO, CDi, Lynx, Game Boy, Game Gear, MegaDrive, PSX, DC

Worst:

ST, NES, Jaguar, N-64, 7800

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

Quote Originally Posted by tom
    Favorite console/computer (why don't you guys never like computers???):

1972 Odyssey, VCS, XE, C-64 (those four are my loves, I can spend hours with these even still today)
    I'm a fan of the C64 as well but I prefer the Amiga. I'm not sure if either would have been a minor computer. I left out Computers because I wasn't sure which ones were the most popular in their day. Obviously it's Wintel now, heh.

Cheers,
    Ben
    le geek retrogaming

Peach (Level 3) ghostangelofcky's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

my fav systems are
    PS1
    SNES