Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sony Hawk's Under-the-covers-with-Playstation Ground

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sony Hawk's Under-the-covers-with-Playstation Ground

That video game documentary on GSN really steamed my broccoli. I should have known better than to expect fair reporting from a network owned in part by Sony, the makers of the Playstation. It wasn't that bad at first... sure, it was sprinkled with the occasional inaccuracy (since when was Frogger released for the Sega Master System?), but it was certainly more entertaining and relevant than the Spike TV Video Game Awards.

However, the producers really dropped the ball when they started discussing the 32-bit system wars. The host of the documentary, Tony Hawk, smugly announced, "Sega unveiled the Saturn in a secret launch, but the Playstation left it in the dust. It's not hard to see why when you look at these pictures..." On the right hand side was the Playstation game Tomb Raider. On the left? War Gods, a game that was NEVER RELEASED FOR THE SATURN AT ALL!!!

It could have been an honest mistake, but if it wasn't, that makes Tony Hawk an accomplice to the biggest hoodwink Sony's perpetrated on customers since its lofty claim that the PS2 would "jack you into the Matrix". If the documentary explained in some detail and with more objectivity WHY the Saturn lost the console wars to the Playstation, it wouldn't have bothered me as much, but they way they handled it seemed like a slanderous hachet job. Shame on you, Sony Hawk, for taking part in it.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sony who?

Oh, Sony Hawk, I get it, that's a great one!

</Dogma reference>

Too lazy to probably ever finish up my older games, but collection funtime.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

who cares?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I cares!

Seriously, if you're going to make a documentary about video games, you might want to actually, you know, make it fair and accurate. When you take mean-spirited shots at Sony's competitors on a television show aired on a Sony-owned network like GSN, it seems just a little suspicious.

JR

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what's the big deal, he was probably reading a script anyway

willie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I care too.

I didn't see this, but if they were showing the PS Tomb Raider, then they should have showed the Saturn one as well, (but then it wouldn't be "obvious" anymore either would it?) At the very laest they should have showed an actual Saturn game... ANY game! I think it's ridiculous.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey man, don't blame Tony! He prob'ly doesn't know much about video games other than his own series anyway. Well, that and the basic Mario knowledge that everyone else has.

Blame Sony, sure, but leave the Birdman out of it.
    I only need 2 more NES games (US)!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well if the show or station? is owned by sony, i guess they can say whatever they want on it ... would u make urself look bad on ur own show?... NO u would make the other company look bad... also u cant blame Tony Hawk for anything.. its not like he wrote up the show.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I enjoyed most of last night's show, I too was put off by the Saturn/Playstation side-by-side. They talked it up like Tomb Raider was a PSX exclusive, which is not the case, and then go on to show a non-Tomb Raider, non-Saturn game in the comparison. That's a pretty lame move.

Having said that, it's also a lame move to blame Tony Hawk for that. The guy's just reading a script and earning a check. I am 110% sure that he didn't create the segment in question. Chill out and start pointing the finger at the appropriate target(s).
    New England Classic Gaming - Violent fighting to come again!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Y'know, if people spent half the energy on something positive that they do on creating yet another damn anti-Sony topic, we'd have the formula for the cure for cancer, AIDS, and every other disease posted on this board by the end of the week.

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perhaps, but where else are we going to address the persistent rumors that Ken Kutaragi himself kicks puppies and eats live kittens by the spoonful?

Seriously, for all this effort, why not some kind of a petition to let Sony know how you feel, gang? Venting all the angst here probably won't change anything.

Think of the kittens, please.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Man, this sucks. I was planning on playing Playstation tonight but I guess I won't now that Sony plugged it's own product on a station it owns or whatever.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    Y'know, if people spent half the energy on something positive that they do on creating yet another damn anti-Sony topic, we'd have the formula for the cure for cancer, AIDS, and every other disease posted on this board by the end of the week.
    Sony's the disease. We're the cure.

So Cap'n, you have no problem with Sony using a video game "documentary" to misrepresent the history of this hobby? Personally, I find it irksome, but hey, given the popularity of Michael Moore's Bowling For Columbine, perhaps documentaries that aren't actually rooted in fact are the next big fad.

JR

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I too care. Ignorance is not an excuse. Otherwise, we're just going to get more crap like SpikeTV and people will be forced to accept it.

Of course, I did find it interesting when I was watching an episode of Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot a few years ago and they started talking about their Playstations. Then I remembered... Tri-Star produced BG&R, and Sony owns Tri-Star.

I've got nothing against Sony (although, I do against SCEA). I have over 100 PSX/PS2 games, only 22 games between my N64 and Cube, and nothing Xbox. And my last Sega System was Genesis. I've shown more support to their consoles than any other in the last decade. But if they're going to fudge up something, I have no qualms about speaking out against it. I'll be happy to say something nice about Sony... when they earn it from me.

:P

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko
    So Cap'n, you have no problem with Sony using a video game "documentary" to misrepresent the history of this hobby? Personally, I find it irksome, but hey, given the popularity of Michael Moore's Bowling For Columbine, perhaps documentaries that aren't actually rooted in fact are the next big fad.
    Personally, I haven't seen the show. I don't know what actually happened, what the context was, etc. I'd be willing to guess that anyone who would be interested in checking out a Saturn will probably seek a more objective source than this one show for their videogame history. I really really really doubt someone watching this would be like "gee...I was gonna get a Saturn, but Tony Hawk says it sucks."

I find it much more irksome that people are willing to blame Sony for every alleged wrong in this hobby without looking at the history and realizing that everything Sony is accused of has been perpertrated by another company at an earlier date. All these things everyone gets so worked up over have been here since the beginning. Yes, Sony does some shitty, strong armed things but so has EVERY other company who has been on top.

It's much more irksome to me that people want to complain about things rather than doing something about them. Like Earl said, petition Sony. Better yet, write these publishers that are supposedly getting shut down by Sony and tell them to port these games to a friendler platform. Even better still, import the games rather than waiting for SECA to approve them. Or when these "gamer's games" get released here actually buy them and show the industry that people actually will buy these games when they are released.

BTW...nice political jab there Zaxxon. :P

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I hear that you can't get hired at Sony unless you kill a goat, eat it, and have sex with the remains. You don't want to see the employee review process. I don't even want to know how many fetal pigs they go through at that company....

-AG
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sigh
    You know, If this forum was around 14 years ago, we would see the same rants going on with the exception on replacing "Sony" with "Nintendo"

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I saw some of the show but it lost credibility when it started glossing over details, getting info incorrect and such...you know what i did?

I changed the channel.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Only thing, tho: has it gone into details, it would not have been a 1 1/2 hour show. I think it was a major improvement over other documentaries of the type that popped up on tv in the past couple of years. Even though it was not perfect, unless a documentary of the sort were to be at least 10 hours long, you can't expect it to be anywhere near thorough. At least, unlike the British one that aired on TLC last summer, they didn't lose a chunk of that 1 1/2 hour focusing on Codemasters.

I too wished it'd be truly objective. But I'm not surprised it wasn't. If you have a documentary about the history of amusement parks on ABC, you wouldn't be surprised if a lot of focus would go to Disney, wouldn't ya? I may seem cynical and jaded, but that's the way the TV industry works. Unless you have a documentary produced by independant producers for, say, PBS, you can't expect it to be objective. Had Nintendo or Microsoft sponsored (or funded) the documentary, the same bias would have happened but in their favor.

As for a lack of focus on Nintendo or Sega during the documentary, we don't know what happened behind the scenes. Did they decline to be interviewed? Were they actually interviewed but not included in the documentary? Only the people who made the show would know.

Oh, and I'm surprised no one is taking a jab at Tony Hawk for the little self-promotion during the show...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I caught that too. While the documentary was interesting on a whole, they left several things out. What about the CDi? Atari 5200? 7800? Virtual Boy? 3DO? Maybe there just wasn't enough time to talk about all of that, but I feel they were significant enough to at least MENTION in the show.

I especially loved the blatant plug for THUG at the end. Without it, I would have never realized that Tony Hawk would recommend people buy his own game x_x