Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: picture of secret NES style GBA(as promised)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Something like this is a cool idea for those who don't have their NES anymore and want to rekindle the flame of gaming past. Sure they could buy a NES from a thrift or eBay but that may not be their bag anymore. However if these people are into portable gaming they may already have a GBA or an SP and with the sheer millions of GBA and SPs that are owned who else would buy these that would make the release worth while? They aren't really priced to "buy one...buy three for your family!", even though Nintendo seems to think that's how people buy these systems.

While it's a trip to see the classics rereleased I too think $20 is a bit high, especially since Nintendo has devalued some of their classic games. Like it was mentioned earlier, you can get NES games in Animal Crossing (and can't you transfer them to your GBA?), some of the titles being released were already available for the eReader (granted they were limited a bit but still $.01 to $4 a pop plus the eReader is still cheaper for multiple games) and have been released in compilations (the Zelda compilation for example). On top of that we have the GBA rereleases of classic Mario games like Mario 2 and 3 with a SNES style graphical makeover. SMB and even Zelda is going to be a helluva shock for those who never played them "back in the day" and may be expecting them to look like the modernized versions of the franchises.

Personally, I too think Nintendo is re-heelly milking their past calatog. It's like at the peak of the Game Boy Color they decided to not make any new franchise games. The only new Mario game on the GBA is Superstar Saga. That's the first new true Mario game (true as in not a spin off like Golf or Tennis) on the GB platform since Super Mario Land 2, which was released in 1992 (SML 3 starred Wario so I'm not really counting that). If third party companies are making successful (actual) sequels/new titles to past franchises (the Mega Mans, the Castlevanias, etc.) why hasn't Nintendo jumped on? Get Capcom or even Sega to make a great Mario game. If done well it would be like printing money AND they wouldn't be alienating fans.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by Drexel923
    Quote Originally Posted by IntvGene
    If someone is seriously willing to pay $20 for Super Mario Bros... an original cart that routinely doesn't sell for $1, there's something seriously wrong with the world.
    I don't understand the problem everyone has with this. If your a huge Nintendo fan, or a huge fan of the NES, or you just like the damn thing you buy it. If not, then you don't. I personally am a huge NES fan so I like stuff like this.
    So you're seriously going to pay 20x as much just so you can get a portable version of this game, even when you can probably get Super Mario Bros DX for less? If you're going to be throwing your money away like that, then you might as well just buy a flash cart and load a NES emulator on it.

Frankly, I wish people would stop buying into Nintendo's rehash nonsense. If Super Mario Advance hadn't been so popular, then they might have released a NEW Mario instead of just rehashing all their old ones. If people are so quick to spend their money on games they already have, then what motivation does Nintendo have to actually create NEW games? I've refused to buy any of the SMA games for this reason, and I'm certainly not spending $20 on yet another version of Super Mario Bros. If Nintendo thinks that the North American market is that gullible, then they really have a lot to learn.

--Zero

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the NES styled SP is pretty groovy. But...

IMO, it's not good enough for Nintendo to simply give us the NES versions of Donkey Kong, Excitebike... why not port the ARCADE versions to the SP instead? NES Excitebike is missing the bonus round, and don't even get me started on the (needless) inaccuracies on the NES port of Donkey Kong.

I'd also like to echo the sentiment about Nintendo re-re-releasing the same handful of titles time and time again. You'd think Metroid would be a no-brainer right out the door, or Punch Out!!, or Kung Fu [Master], or ...

Anyhoo, come on Nintendo. Where's the ARCADE series? I'll pass on the NES version of DK for the GBA SP, but if you wanna put the coin-op version out there, I'll pay double.
    Selling collection, Atari through XBox. Send a PM with whatever games you're looking for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    Quote Originally Posted by IntvGene
    If someone is seriously willing to pay $20 for Super Mario Bros... an original cart that routinely doesn't sell for $1, there's something seriously wrong with the world.
    I don't understand the problem everyone has with this. If your a huge Nintendo fan, or a huge fan of the NES, or you just like the damn thing you buy it. If not, then you don't. I personally am a huge NES fan so I like stuff like this.
    So you're seriously going to pay 20x as much just so you can get a portable version of this game, even when you can probably get Super Mario Bros DX for less? If you're going to be throwing your money away like that, then you might as well just buy a flash cart and load a NES emulator on it.

Frankly, I wish people would stop buying into Nintendo's rehash nonsense. If Super Mario Advance hadn't been so popular, then they might have released a NEW Mario instead of just rehashing all their old ones. If people are so quick to spend their money on games they already have, then what motivation does Nintendo have to actually create NEW games? I've refused to buy any of the SMA games for this reason, and I'm certainly not spending $20 on yet another version of Super Mario Bros. If Nintendo thinks that the North American market is that gullible, then they really have a lot to learn.

--Zero
    Yes, I probably will buy the games when they come...but once again I don't see a problem with it. And once again another statement about "Nintendo's rehash nonsense", like I said before, this has been going on since the SNES and people are so shocked now?

It may not seem practicle to you or most people here (hell I even would rather have a large compilation instead of individual games), but some people enjoy these things...whats the problem with that. And I'm not going to buy it just because I want a portable Mario Bros...I'm buying it because I like stuff related to the NES, even these novelties as DP put it. It may seem strange to people that don't feel that way, but once again no one was saying this stuff when people were going nuts over the Famicom SP and those games were more expensive. Also I would think this is more acceptable than people who have to have say the original version of FF8 and the GH version, why don't they get flack for paying $20 for the same game on the same system no less.

And Nintendo must have a lot to learn considering their rehases sell like hotcakes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho
    It is indeed rather disappointing to see SMB rereleased in this way. Didn't Nintendo already get everything right with SMB DX on the Game Boy Color? Why not just rerelease that?
    They didn't. In addition to the fact the screen size was smaller, so that the only way to see around you was to scroll the screen (A pain when you're trying to get through levels), they also removed the minus world, and the firepower while small glitch. They did put SMB2j in there too, but it suffered from it's flaws in the porting process, such as the lack of difference between Mario and Luigi, and the lack of all levels past 8-4.

I'll be getting Mario, Zelda, Bomberman, and the import Star Soldier, just because I like the idea of good portable versions of these games. Yeah, I could buy a flash cart, but that's just not my style.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where is SMB2 (Jpn) in SUPER MARIO DX? I bought this thinking it had it, and I didn't see it

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You have to unlock SMB2J. I am not sure what you have to do. There was a thread about it not to long ago. I am sure you could find out how by doing a google search/visiting some code/walthrough site.

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

And once again another statement about "Nintendo's rehash nonsense", like I said before, this has been going on since the SNES and people are so shocked now?
    Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES is hardly in the same league as a straight port of Super Mario Bros for the GBA. When you bought All-Stars, you got all 4 games at once, all of them with updated graphics, as well as the ability to save games. I haven't seen any claims that the version of Super Mario Bros they're releasing has any new features at all. If Nintendo were to do an All-Stars style release on the GBA, I'd have no problem paying a decent price for that... but I'm certainly not going to buy each of them individually for $40-45 CDN.

And Nintendo must have a lot to learn considering their rehases sell like hotcakes
    If they release all these games for $20 each in North America, I really don't think they'll sell as well as you seem to think they will.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro
    Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES is hardly in the same league as a straight port of Super Mario Bros for the GBA. When you bought All-Stars, you got all 4 games at once, all of them with updated graphics, as well as the ability to save games. I haven't seen any claims that the version of Super Mario Bros they're releasing has any new features at all. If Nintendo were to do an All-Stars style release on the GBA, I'd have no problem paying a decent price for that... but I'm certainly not going to buy each of them individually for $40-45 CDN.
    Well I wasn't implying Mario All Stars when I said back since the SNES. I was talking about games like Wario's Woods and Yoshi's Cookie which were released on the Nes and the Snes. I believe the only difference is the graphics. But whatever, this is still nothing new. I'm not going to play ping-pong with you on this subject...we obviously are going to disagree. No one is trying to convince you to buy the games, I was just trying to give some reasons why myself and others will. I do want to give you kudos though for not getting all pissy in our conversation like some of the recent posts around here. Conversations and arguements are always better when people stay cool....jerk :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*cough*

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

I don't know about anybody else, but I thought that the SM All-Stars versions of the games didn't quite play the same as the originals. I think they messed with the physics to make the jumping easier or something...

I'd rather see them do something like they did for SMW on the GBA - put Luigi in as a playable character and give him his SMB2 characteristics. Maybe see the Princess (with her floating jump-style) added to SMB? That would be cool.

I'm talking a full game, too - not that one Mushroom Kingdom level from SSB Melee.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was reading this forum from the beginning, and I thought people were rediculous thinking that the famicom gba sp was fake, Someone was talking about starting rumors that it is real... Come on. Of coarse its real. The cool version is the one that there is only 1000 made, and it looks crazy like the real famicom. It was going for around 500 bucks. Look at page 2 of Gba consoles at http://buygame2.com The cheaper gba is on page 1. See the diffrence.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ExistingLemon

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer
    I don't know about anybody else, but I thought that the SM All-Stars versions of the games didn't quite play the same as the originals. I think they messed with the physics to make the jumping easier or something...
    I agree. It feels somewhat different.

RIGANNON, do you believe everything you hear?
    Egbert, I miss you...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd rather see them do something like they did for SMW on the GBA - put Luigi in as a playable character and give him his SMB2 characteristics. Maybe see the Princess (with her floating jump-style) added to SMB? That would be cool.
    I don't mean to spoil the plot of SMB for you here but I don't think that it would be a good idea to have the Princess as a playable character because she was kidnapped by Bowser. If they did that, the universe would collapse on itself and we don't want that, do we?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

My understanding is that they used much of the same game code in All-Stars that was used in the NES version. It is even possible in All-Stars SMB3 to access the same debug mode unlockable in the NES version through a Game Genie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have already reserved mine!
    Along with the following games:
    Excitebike
    Donkey Kong
    Zelda
    SMB

Can't wait to get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, I paid $30 to import SMB from Japan. And it was worth it.

The game was merely a bonus, I was in it for the packaging. In my opinion, the packaging makes all the difference. So to me, that SMB was well worth the $30 if only to be able to show it off to all my friends.

When they come out here, I'll watch them very closely. Maybe get some later on. Maybe make a deal with myself to buy one every two weeks. (Pay Day) I could collect them all that way. But for the actual system, that will wait. I'd love to complete the collection, but I have a GBA SP so I can wait. Even if it is $99. I already got mine. Maybe later on dowen the road when one is left over and the next system comes out. Or I'll wait 10 weeks and put $20 aside every week for that purpose. I don't mind it if I can hjave nice packages to look at.

Also, to me, SMB was well worth it. I already have 2, 3, World and Yoshi's Island on my GBA, I thought why not get SMB too? Now I have the 5 best SMB games on my GBA.

As for the other games, there are a bunch I would love to have and I hope they bring most of the second series out here too.