Thread: Final Fantasy Final

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Default Final Fantasy Final

My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

This link:

Rumors that there WILL be a FF game having characters from all the games at some point:

Belief that FF will keep going and I'll be playing number 50 when I'm 65 years old:
    "Four o'clock and all is well.....wish I was in bed, Sir."
    -- Guard in the Imperial City, Oblivion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it is actually insanely dumb why they haven't changed the name. i guess the story behind it is that square was about to lose it all. they had 1 "final" chance to stay in the market, so they made a fantasy game. it could have possibly been their final game ever. it was final, and it was a fantasy game. counting X-2 and the 3 gameboy games, and tactics (i know i am missong 1 or 2), I counted up 16 final fantasy games. what they need to do is stop the franchise before they kill it. there isn't much more they can do now that they turned it into an imitation everquest. if they made one, big, final game (or even release it in a 5 game series or something), about how every single story ties together, that would actually be very cool. then they could say that it really was the final fantasy, we just didn't see it with 16 games out and more scheduled to come out. but even still, that would be the only way to get me to play more than just final fantasy 10, which really wasn't all that great. its story was super confusing and bizzarre. the graphics were cool, but that was about it. within the next couple of days, i am actually going to post my incomplete story i am working on for a better, and cooler final fantasy game. there is no way that square-enix would take it up, but it would be cool anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the 3 GB titles were really Seiken Densetsu & 2 games from the Romancing the SaGa series

13 total games on console
    1 in development
    1 GBA
    1 tactical

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A game that tied EVERY single story line together would be amazing to see.... but as far as Im concerned impossible.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SoulBlazer
    Belief that FF will keep going and I'll be playing number 50 when I'm 65 years old:
    You know, by that time, you'll probably have to get a loan from the bank to buy a GH copy of FF8 on ebay, and a second mortgage to purchase a loose FF3 SNES cart. (Pardon my cheesy attempt at a joke)

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges
    it is actually insanely dumb why they haven't changed the name.
    I have thought the same thing myself. The first FF game I ever played was FF Legend I for GB when it was first released. I was unaware of the concurrent FF series on NES. After having to defeating the creator of the universe at the end of the game, I thought, "Well, how can you top that for an ending?" Well, apparently the developers thought otherwise, hence the endless sequels with seemingly no "Final" Final on the horizon anytime soon.

I have a similar grudge against the Land Before Time movies. LBT 2, LBT 3, etc....sounds like they're keeping track of time now, yes? I myself can't stand these movie, but my kids are rabid for it so we've got the whole thing on video unfortunately

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought the idea was that each game really is "final", in the sense that each one is a story that ends when the game is finished. Of course, FFX2 kind of ruined that much.

I've played FF7 and FF9 all the way through, and as far as I'm concerned both were Quite Amusing. Call it a storytelling medium if nothing else.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Name Recognition is all....if they named the games something else they wouldn't sell as well. For example, Final Fantasy X, if they named it "Tidus's Journey" changed all the Chocobos to horses and got rid of all the other FF trademarks....it probably wouldnt have gone Greatest Hits.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cmosfm
    Name Recognition is all....if they named the games something else they wouldn't sell as well. For example, Final Fantasy X, if they named it "Tidus's Journey" changed all the Chocobos to horses and got rid of all the other FF trademarks....it probably wouldnt have gone Greatest Hits.
    Well, these days Square has brand recognition as well, so they probably could have changed the name without hurting their sales too much (although I agree, there would probably still be a drop).

I say they're pretty much stuck with the name, and it's because they've really created their own detailed mythology. Ten years ago if you asked someone who Bahamut was, they probably wouldn't know. How the times have changed. The more you think about how many repeating non-essential characters appear between games (especially in FF9 which really emphasizes points of FF9 mythology), you'll see just how big their "universe" has become.

I think that's where the name is important. It designates the series along a unique mythology.

My Complete Collection - Currently expanding my PS2 collection by buying up every five dollar game I see